Are poker players smart?

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's actually bad question. So many different people play poker. Are humans smart? What defines smart? You can be very good poker player, but you make stupid choices in life. I personally know few people, who are good in poker, but in nothing else.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can't tell if a person is smart or stupid just by the way they play poker.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on where you play, example :if you play on a professional poker tourney in real poker, i think you would say yes, all of them are smart in their own waya and skills and they re pro at what they do. But sometimes it's not the case when it comes to online poker.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are poker players smart?

It depends on what time of day I start drinking at.

Yup , i do very good at thye tables but then i bet on sports after a few drinks and lose everytime . i couldnt hit a bet if i got lucky.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe so!

I´m Electrician Engineer and I apply some poker concepts in my job, such as patience and wait for the right moment, and not playing my cards (opportunities) anyway.

G

gud1ni99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As noted above: it all depends on the level of the player. Professionals who have achieved significant success can be called smarter :)
But there are also many mediocre players who are not distinguished by special intelligence...

T

TonyTadzh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For analyse people, calculating odds, imagine opponents cards, yep u have to be smart

JohnWayne329

JohnWayne329

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on each man. To be a good poker player does not require good brains

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's "smarts" and then there's know-how, imo. One is intuitive, the other is learned. The only way to really be sure is to apply the scientific method. Take an intellectual who's never played a hand of poker in their life and pit them against a seasoned poker player and monitor the ensuing game. I think this would be a great experiment. Have them play about 1,000 hands. That should bring an honest result to the question. :fight:

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it entirely depends on the person and his character lol.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Like any other segment or group, some are, some arent.

N

nee_cccccccc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha ha ha

It's not smart to risk losing any money.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is stupid also many , they usually make a consictence call ,

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not just smart

To be successful, poker players need to be smart, analytical. But a player must also be instinctive, know when to push the envelope. And, importantly, for live poker, be able to read their opponents, pick up on their tells.

001Jaguar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on people I guess there is no connection between smart it’s just feeling your luck

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone can play poker, so there are all kinds of people, maybe the losing players are not smart, but I think the winning players are not only smart, they are also very knowledgeable, observant and hard working.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker players are the smartest unless when they loose money they can not afford

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker requires a lot of brain activity. Of course, learning to play poker makes you smarter.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, successful players are definitely smart. But in general, players are different, there are players who are not very smart, and perhaps that is why smart players are successful players. :)

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi

Yes, a professional poker player can be smart, only if he is successful in his own business and is aware that poker is not a way to make a living, because many professional poker players have their own business, whether it is related to poker, such as setting up an online poker school and exploiting his fame And his professionalism in the field of poker ... or other projects far from poker. But if a poker player is a professional and depends entirely on betting in poker then his life will always be surrounded by risks like bankruptcy, and in my opinion he cannot be considered successful

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In this world, there are smart people and not so smart ones. And that applies to poker players too. Aren't they part of this world ?