Are poker players smart?

R

Rahul14nav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So area unitskilled poker players smart? In many ways, yes. so as to succeed and win cash at poker, someoneshould develop their mathematical and logical reasoning skills on the far side what a median person would apprehend

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
So area unitskilled poker players smart? In many ways, yes. so as to succeed and win cash at poker, someoneshould develop their mathematical and logical reasoning skills on the far side what a median person would apprehend

I assure you the players are different. There are smart ones, but there are not very smart ones. Someone playing poker uses a bingo strategy, and someone just plays with junk because it's fun. The players are different but it doesn't matter. In my opinion, the main thing is what kind of player you are.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I chance to say that there is a large variety of folks playing, some smart, some genious and yet,,,,some not so. It's like colored gumballs in a gumball machine.

Dan'O

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to be the smartest but you definitely have to be decisive and logical

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course!!!

ALL poker players think they are smart. Poker, as in life, have people that are smart and those that are complete idiots!!! And everywhere in between. Just my opinion!!:D

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
yes of course, they have to me so smart in a lot of disciplines

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nah, i'm not smart at all. i keep things really simple, like me, when i play.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it doesn't matter the profession, you can be generally deemed more intelligent than the average joe on logic etc not street smarts for e.g if you are a doctor but you may be very suggestible when it comes to women or horrible at handling money or something else. So No, not necessarily

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not necessarily, although many high level poker players are intelligent on some level. Smart people play poker as do people not as smart :D so the only thing really in common is that we all play poker.

Now a slightly more intriguing question might be:

Are successful poker players smart?

Once "successful" is defined, then perhaps a slightly higher percentage of winning players will turn out to be "smart" compared to the entire pool of poker players, but one thing is for sure...

a better indicator would likely be work ethic, study time for poker, poker ability and many more elements which would have a greater positive correlation to poker "success" than being "smart" or not ;)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I believe there have been a couple of studies on how smart poker players are. However, none of them have indicated poker players are smarter than any other section of society.

You have to be intelligent to apply yourself mentally to many aspects of life, but predominantly many are drawn to poker initially for the gamble. That interest in gambling will attract all types, and yes, to succeed the game needs to be treated intelligently, but barely a session passes without some display of less than intelligent play.

In fact the longer I play, the more I pose playing on an intelligent level can be a draw back at times. I feel people get caught up in theory and tend to constrict themselves (I can/do) whereas others play with a casualness and abandon which can bring results.

So some great players are no doubt intelligent and others posses a certain boldness which has little to do with smarts.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Of course, professional players are smart. As for everyone else, everything is relative. But the main thing in my opinion, no matter who the player is, the main thing is that poker brings him pleasure and joy. :)

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the main thing is to know what kind of player you are.
There are many players with different styles of games and levels.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are poker players smart?

It depends on what time of day I start drinking at.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Playing poker is a lot of work. Yes, the players who do this are quite smart, observant and hardworking professionals. These are mostly good analysts who have excellent memory. Online players are hardworking, they work with programs, they are constantly improving, look at the top players, they practically sit in solvers and analyze different situations at the tables.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a smart game, and to be good at you have to be smart I think, at least able to memorise some patterns for some hands and be able to change them when its the right time to change. Also, you have to be stabil emotionally, cause things can change around you so fast.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're smart, and play, you're $+.

If you're not smart, and play, you're $-.

If you think you're smart, and play, you're $-----------------------.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

If there are smart players, but intelligence is associated with a good bloff.
Intelligence in poker is knowing how to bet at the right times.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is unlikely that a successful poker player can be a stupid person :)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
my opinion that yes, even those who seem more stupid to us, if you look more detached you will notice what good game they have and what surprisingly good decisions they can make, so never underestimate your opponents :)

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, of course the players are intelligent, each one thinks about their way of playing certain hands, obviously there are players who only play with chance.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All players are smart, some more, some less. Intelligence is characteristic of human beings in general. Winning poker players are very smart, losers are not very smart.