Are poker players smart?

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, they have to be, at least to some extend. Otherwise they would loose all bankroll and stop being poker players.

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes they are

Considering ourselves poker players - we can't play if we're not smart.
Considering ourselves men - of course we are smarter than women.
Considering we love the game - we can't love something we don't know.

Considering loosing our money on and on again - makes us idiots !

( none offended, it's a joke )

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Let me say 80% of the players are smart because you need to be to be able to play poker.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Smart? maybe,,, clever,,,, more likely,,, i like to think i'm smarter than the average player/person,only because i'm very happy/content in my life,,, :star: if you make $$$ from different sources,even if it's small,money accumulates if you have more coming in than going out.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Many poker players world wide so you will find smart players, bingo players, dumb players, all kind of players, so yes there are some smart players, but they are not always the winners!

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have to be smart to play poker

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you say poker players I guess you literally mean it. Everyone might play poker but not all are 'the player' actually. Considering this, and the fact that poker is a mind game which requires good memory, calculations and theory knowledge then probably they are - profesionals. However, being smart alone isn't enough for poker.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
professional players of course they are. But as we know ~90% of players are the losing one's so maybe they are smart but not on poker tables

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It all depends on the player. Like in all walks of life you will have smart and then you will have not so smart players. All you can ask yourself is if you feel you are a smart player or not.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find a lot of players, I've played against live. They aren't so smart, I find a lot of players ,where I play in this restaurant club. They sure don't seem to smart , they are so loose. I play there so I can make, some money cause they can be very loose, and they are all fishermen. If you know what I mean, I haven't met that many players. Who play that loosely. I am ok with good for me, and a couple of my buddies.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Poker players are not smart they are patient and sinful:D:icon_sant

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow

Wow, I don't know how to answer that.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
professional players of course they are. But as we know ~90% of players are the losing one's so maybe they are smart but not on poker tables

well, maybe 90% losing, 5% winning and 5% just tied up. lol.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not something anyone should invest their time and energy in full time, they should have a passion to produce something. Create. Is anyone smart to invest their full time attention in Poker? No. I do not believe that, everyone has a creative side that is not dictated by chance.

Last edited:
mimietmour

mimietmour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is by far the strangest question I have seen in here lolll.

N

Notsoyoungrich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think good poker players are very smart. Not only with math, but also with reading people. There are different kinds of smarts too (not to). Street smarts and book smarts. I believe you need both to be a truly good poker player. That’s just my opinion

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who is in the top 30 best players in the world are, of course, smart people, they earn a lot, and if you just count the players playing on the internet, then there are different people, but I think there are fewer smart ones.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, good poker players are smart. Not all poker players are good players though.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are a few smart player's out there, the Profitable players being the smartest, but there are a lot of idiot's who believe in fairy stories and think it is easy money, and one day they will be a Superstar playing for millions.
Yes it does happen, about as often as finding Unicorn Poo! But I am content playing for low stake and Free-roll games, making a profit nice and slow, improving my game play along the way.
Poker evolve's just as we all evolve over time, we get older and wiser, so we cannot be taken in by people promising us riches over night, It Just Does Not Happen!
If you are a confident, profitable, Poker player then you have already got there, the only thing to hold you back is the limit's you are comfortable playing for, leave the dreams for the dreamers, Play a game you are comfortable with and stick with it, that is the sensible, and smartest way to play Poker.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So area unitskilled poker players smart? In many ways, yes. so as to succeed and win cash at poker, someoneshould develop their mathematical and logical reasoning skills on the far side what a median person would apprehend

Your reasoning is correct.

But intelligence can be relative.

Of course, the exact field has a larger domain in the world, we can say maybe.

But for those who are human, knowing how to calculate an eq. differential doesn't mean you're sovereignly intelligent or anything like that...kind of complex...I don't know (lol)

But I, as an exact science person, absolutely agree with you.

Poker stimulates logical reasoning, accelerates and increases the speed of decision making.

Like chess, it's an amazing mental sport.

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nah some of them are very intelligent but only few people most of them are dumb :D

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who knows, but all the Top players seem to have an above average intellect.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone can be a poker player, so no, poker players are not smarter, in my oppiong. However, the good players may be smarter.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As in all walks of life, you have both smart, and the not-so-smart people playing poker.

The terms, however, do not necessarily dictate whether, or not, you are good at poker.

The "smart", and "not-so-smart" will both win, if they are cunning.

Phil Helmuth is a great example of a "not-so-smart" person, who does very well, because he is incredibly cunning, and knows how to use other's weak spots.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good and profitable poker players undoubtedly have a good memory and impeccable mathematical thinking. The combination of these qualities can be considered a good argument for an intelligent person.