Is poker luck or skill?

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is more luck, although basic knowledge is needed too, I would say that at micro-stakes poker is more of luck and at higher limits it is more skill

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker luck or skill?

It all depends on if you have done any work at all on learning the subtleties of the game.

If yes, then luck is (as it always will be) a large part of the game. But you will probably find that, as you learn the game and its intricacies, your "luck" increases.......

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw someone else on this forum with a really apt quote: "Poker is 100% skill and 50% luck." Hope that answers your question.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both

both poker is a mixture of sensations where your decision activates the probability that your combinations of your cards come out or not for me is a decision :deal:

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker has a very high degree of luck involved in the short term (days, weeks and even months). But over the long run (years, decades), there is almost no luck involved at all.

In the long run poker is all skill.

The cream always rises to the top, and the best players always win in the end, because you cannot fight the math over the long run in this game and expect to win.

Playing bad hands for example. This is something that amateurs often do and it will eventually catch up to you in this game. I actually talk about this in my latest video.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It seems to me that luck and skill in poker are intertwined.

S

snitcheroo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a combo of both esp online where the Cards are supposed to be "random" which I find it hard to believe because Mr. lucky keeps catching that 1 card on the river to make his hand every time. But I also think a skilled player knows how to "play" the table as well as his hands.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the long run the luck factor has less relevance, but of course poker has the luck factor and in the short run the luck factor influences much more.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say it is a blend of both. Your skill is only as good as the cards you get, which makes the luck aspect part of it. Hopefully, you can use these tools to win.

Beatlebug

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck, randomness is what we love poker for. It would be boring without the element of luck in the game

P

pipayura

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck if you stop in time!
Mastery if you continue to end or win. Mastery is not poker, mastery is victory.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course both. Can't win tournament without luck and also can't win tournament without skills. So i think u need both of them.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On pure luck, you can go only the first time. Then you begin to understand something more. But luck is still needed, and not only in poker.:angel:

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
suerte o habilidad

Hello. I think it's 20% skill and 80% luck. I live it every day a madman goes all in with 4-2 of and I pay with AA or kk and I lose against trio of 4 or straight or full of 4 and 2. It happens to me every day especially in pokerstars

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short run: luck; long run: skill.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 day in poker is 90% luck and 10% skill. but at a distance it is 90% skill and 10% luck.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a little of both. You don't know what hole cards you will be dealt and then you don't know what the flop, turn and river will be so that part of it is all luck or bad luck depending on your point of view. The skill comes in when it comes to reading your opponents tells and using it your advantage. Knowing when to bluff is also a skill. Just my opinion.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a little of both. You don't know what hole cards you will be dealt and then you don't know what the flop, turn and river will be so that part of it is all luck or bad luck depending on your point of view. The skill comes in when it comes to reading your opponents tells and using it your advantage. Knowing when to bluff is also a skill. Just my opinion.

I like your answer the most, no percentages or facts, just an opinion.