Is poker luck or skill?

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible that one could just be a lucky person and not a skillful poker player? After looking at my poker career and all the hands I have made, the two bad beat jackpots I’ve won, the rare events, the royal flushes/straight flushes/quads after it all....it makes me stop and look at my life and I see it all over again, born with gifts other adore, been put in situations which others only dream off. After it all... I ask....am I just lucky?

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck is always welcome, but skill stands out in the long run

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think next time I join a poker site, I will start my table name with YY!
The poker higher power has blessed you.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you need both, it's gambling after all, can't rely on just one or the other

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I see players that get lucky a LOT. Certain players seem to win consistently when playing obviously bad cards and bad strategy. So, Luck is definitely at work in poker.

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most players, especially in freerolls and micro stakes, rely on luck.

B

BOMDEBLEF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we have both, we need a lot of luck

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

both, more skill !!! variance plays a big part but knowing how to play against that also makes a good poker player !!!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the skills and experience of the player will always be crucial. In my opinion, skills and experience shape a player's luck.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course, it's your skills that count. in the long run, this skill will give you long term winnings

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes we are all just lucky at times, but I, in your place, did not take luck seriously. Skill will always be above luck.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They both essential and connected . F.e If you're a great poker player but you always getting unlucky, you'll lose. If you're a lucky but the worst player, you'll lose all eventually, because luck doesn't last for long. However, if the luck is never ending,then it becomes better than skill. At least, that's my theory.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible that one could just be a lucky person and not a skillful poker player? After looking at my poker career and all the hands I have made, the two bad beat jackpots I’ve won, the rare events, the royal flushes/straight flushes/quads after it all....it makes me stop and look at my life and I see it all over again, born with gifts other adore, been put in situations which others only dream off. After it all... I ask....am I just lucky?

If it was luck then we would not have professional players who can be in important tournaments, a great example Daniel Negranu, Phil Iviy and others who could prove that it is a game of skill rather than luck.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it is about skill. In a lucky run, a skillful players earn a lot, in a unlucky run they lose few bucks. That make their charts to have waves that ever increase.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Lucky for the strongest:deal::deal::deal:

F

funfellow888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck or skill

definatly skill after a couple of little bits of luck at the start wins tournaments

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
long term winner = mostly skill with some luck sprinkled in sometimes
short term winner = can be mostly luck with little skill.

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill. It is a game that is perfected throughout life. But certainly luck also plays a big role. It is best to have both, skill and luck during the game. The perfect combination!

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say both skill on how to play it, an luck for getting the cards

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, both of these factors are necessary for a player's success. Obviously, the skill of the player will always be more important than luck, but nevertheless without luck victory is also impossible.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good to be lucky,,,but even better to have skills with it. :deal: $$$

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the number of poker hands played and the jackpots you hit. You may have played a huge number (millions and millions) of hands. On the other hand, you don't have to be a professional, just be lucky and you are a winner. But luck, unlike experience and theoretical knowledge, is not possible on a permanent basis.

Schokk

Schokk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play and win 1 tourney is luck, play 1000 tourneys and win 5-10% is skill =)