Is poker luck or skill?

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time, poker is luck. I see that there are more fortunate players when I often play with the same people.

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Without good luck, nothing in poker will not be for sure !!! Well, the experience and skill of course decide.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its both, you need skill playing the right way play the hands witht he most value reading the players when they bluff or not.

but you also need some luck hitting the cards in flips etc

without luck you wont win a tournament and without skill you wont win either

its like 75% skill and 25% luck.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sometimes it's just luck, otherwise I can't explain how a person is always doing well, it is simply impossible to win over and over again, no matter how good or bad you play, constantly takes the pot. And at this moment it takes excitement and anger how to turn this course of events in your direction or how to stop in time?

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible that one could just be a lucky person and not a skillful poker player? After looking at my poker career and all the hands I have made, the two bad beat jackpots I’ve won, the rare events, the royal flushes/straight flushes/quads after it all....it makes me stop and look at my life and I see it all over again, born with gifts other adore, been put in situations which others only dream off. After it all... I ask....am I just lucky?
One tournament can be won by a bad player. But he will not be able to win several tournaments. Mastery is essential for winning. But even skilled masters may not win anything big for a long time, since luck also means a lot in today's online poker.

A

Axe1Gold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10% luck

90% skill

You need luck in poker but the skill is more important. You can’t just rely on luck to win a tournament. If that were the case, we could easily play by going all in every time if we have good hand preflop. W cant play like this poker

D

DeuceKick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theoretically all players get the same cards over many, many, hands. If you can win more hands than you should win over time you will be profitable
Easier said than done. Everybody should have positive EV with good cards. It's winning the pot with second best hand that takes skill.

D

DeuceKick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had somebody actually argue with me that all players get the same cards over time. Maybe he's playing with a 58 card deck.

D

DeuceKick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is inffruiatIng in freefolls when a player shoves any Ace Rag In any position and hits their Rag. I don't even play Ace -Rag in most situations.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Coin-flip, it is all luck..

Poker, you can play a long time relying on skill, and then:

MTT, last hand bubble, me and opponent are down to pennies, I have AQ and shove, opponent has AK, we both miss, goes down to the kicker. Opponent takes victory with K kicker. Can't tell me that one player is better or worse when a coin-flip decides it.
No hard feelings on the loss, next time, I might have the kicker, your never know.

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theoretically all players get the same cards over many, many, hands. If you can win more hands than you should win over time you will be profitable
Easier said than done. Everybody should have positive EV with good cards. It's winning the pot with second best hand that takes skill.

One of the main reasons I play PLO is cause of the winning with nothing due to installing fear into opponents.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its more of a skill and luck comes along with it often usually. Is it luck if you expect it..lol..but skill is key because of practice and remember ...

Luck isn't given,its earned..

Meaning we make our own luck.. It took me forever to figure out what my ol man meant when he said it. I now understand what it means. Say I practice shooting bottles from my hip at home when no one is around, and we go shooting with friends at a range and I pull the ole shoot from the waist trick and every1 says im lucky and wants to bet a beer and say I can't do it again. But im not lucky tho, i practiced. And I'm just DEDICATED. Good luck 🍺.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Skilled poker players are more likely to win over all. You need to have some luck to have your hands hold. Its not about luck but skill.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for a long time. In poker there is such a thing as patience. That I have not recently. We are adults and we understand that luck is present, but the skill has not been canceled.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear YYfourU, very interesting account of your experience and your question. I believe it is a mixture of skill and luck to be successful in poker. But I also think technical skill predominates.

Last edited:
makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It has to do with skills, but skills will help you manage your luck, or if there is no luck skills will help you get over this.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck and if you have skill you will be more profitable.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is all skills and luck combined!

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more skill need then in life fo sure.

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is more important than skills.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
About luck, nobody is born with more luck or less luck than another, luck varies a lot, they are situations that sometimes are in our favor and other times not, but what I am sure of is that if we do things well by studying more the Playing and practicing we come to understand it more that means that we will make better decisions in our game and in the long run we will call more for good luck.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lucky skilled

Is it possible that one could just be a lucky person and not a skillful poker player? After looking at my poker career and all the hands I have made, the two bad beat jackpots I’ve won, the rare events, the royal flushes/straight flushes/quads after it all....it makes me stop and look at my life and I see it all over again, born with gifts other adore, been put in situations which others only dream off. After it all... I ask....am I just lucky?

wow! royal flushes/straight flushes/quads. Seems like You just bet/call with the nuts.
I just wonder, when do You fold? for you holding fullhouse isn`t enough?
See You in a beautiful FT.
:smile:

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
short term : luck is a big factor

long term : there is not much luck anymore