Is Poker a Game of Skill or Chance?

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill

Its mostly skill. You only need luck if your behind in the hand, which means you made a mistake or your relying on luck to win for example going all in on a draw, which is a dumb play because more often than not you'll miss.

8CrazyEights8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Lose as little as possible and earn as much as possible when you're lucky".

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm convinced that poker is not a sport. This is an intellectual game of chance. But not a sport.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in many ways. Here's the situation. Yesterday I won the poker stars tournament. I took 1st place, but today I can not win a single hand, and my full house moves to square or senior full.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, luck is more important than skill in the beginning, but after playing a huge number of hands, skill becomes more important. I am talking about online poker here, where skill is based on statistics, and you need a lot of extractions for statistics to come true. In live poker, you also have tells on top of statistics, so luck is a little less important, but never negligible.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the key to success is finding enemy weaknesses and exploiting them.
A card, only so, a tool for this

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had read this article and found it interesting, I will share it here

This is a study fueled by the traditional controversy that Poker is a game of skill and not of luck. A small university in Ohio, United States, conducted a scientific study whose results leave no great doubt.

Michael DeDonno, a candidate for a PhD in Psychology from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, conducted two studies that are summarized in this article, co-authored with Dr. Douglas Detterman of the same university, and concluded that all poker players they knew more than the average citizen does not know. According to DeDonno, this article is the empirical evidence that Poker is a game of skill, not luck.

In the first study, DeDonno chose 40 students with little or no knowledge of Poker and had to play 200 hands between them and the software of Wilson Turbo Texas Hold'em. Half of the students were informed of Poker's basic strategies, including initial hand selection and the logic of the pros to play only 15% of the hands. The other half only received information about the history of the game, but without any statistical or analytical data.

At the end of the experiment, both researchers concluded that students who had received strategy lessons performed better than the other half.
To confirm the finding, DeDonno and Detterman repeated the same experiment, but the number of hands played increased to 700. The conclusion was that all students (both groups) improved their results thanks to prior practice but those who had lessons strategies that outweighed decision makers without support.

In DeDonno's words, "If winning was pure luck, then the strategies would not have created differences between the two groups."

The researcher is convinced that the results of the study have application beyond the tables of Poker. He believes that theory can be applied to help people deal with real-life situations because they claim that it has implications for decision-making and risk management.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is both skill and chance. If you are getting good cards then your having good luck. If you are getting crappy card then you need to rely more on your skill to get you through that slump. All in all it’s 6 of one...half a dozen of the other. Throw a little variance and some tilt in there and that makes poker lol

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion its 90% skill 10% luck. To bad players it is 70% or more just luck. But when you know how to play and know your strategy you will be able to put the luck factor to the minimum.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game and the element of luck will always be present here. In tournaments the percentage of luck is 40%, in cash games is much lower but it is still there.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Oh, we need a lot of luck ... Chess is a game of skill)))

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chance, aka, Pure Luck

669234a7a1a9a91e390c1586904e7e26.png

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Black Magic!

Aces over Kings over 98. The money's all in pre-flop. Why 98 is in the hand for stacks is a complete mystery to me. KK went all-in first. AA went all-in over him. 98 went over us both.

6618c1b706cf1cc7ec2365babe4d8b12.png

If this was some kind of black magic skill, I want some. No, it was pure dumb luck.

Game of skill or game of chance? The answer seems pretty obvious.

da28ddec32a237125988dc7052decf7e.png

Last edited:
K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are elements of both skill and luck. In the short term, luck can lead to a big win but long-term results are primarily determined by your skill.

N

NPKG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both of them need a lot of brains , but you should havr lost of luck too. Especially in big games

K

kened2112

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
legallymete is not a sport

but if it is a game of strategy and many calculate, since the bluff, know when to raise it does a lot of strategy, and calculations to count the outs, the odds of connecting ETC

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker for me is a game of skill which, combined with luck, will give you the best long-term results, without forgetting that the decision-making process, when it is a question of probability, and the reading of one player or several, will crucially affect who you are. successful or not. The statistics do not lie and the ability will be imposed on luck, but it is better if everything comes together, for example ... because an AA couple sometimes loses and others win even having such a high percentage of victory with these, will be question of luck ? or will it be a question of ability? If you know who you are facing, I am sure that the success of your AA partner will be more a matter of skill than luck. If you do not know it, it would be a luck factor depending on the style of the game, whether it's an all in or a slow play. Good luck at the tables.

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is a game of mindsetRecretional poker players enjoy more the game
For professionals there are a lot of emotions in the game .. Downswing can be very stressful

A

arenk22

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i honestly believe its a bit of both. have to know when to get it in good and get a little luck to get you through.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eu acho que tem o fator de sorte, mas confiar apenas nesse fator não fará que ninguém vença para sempre.

C

Cblevs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always thought poker is mainly skill with some luck obviously. But if poker were all luck then nobody would always be making to final tables or ITM. A lot of skilled poker players are able to make it ITM which would mean it's more skill than luck overall. Just my opinion though.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker in my opinion is a game of skill, where only the strong will survive until the final table. A mix of aggression and passivity, along with lies and truths, courage at the time of betting, make a difference. I am looking for winning strategies, acquiring knowledge and applying properly. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

MadMurkin

MadMurkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its all luck, ask any american player, without luck they have no hope of winning anything, so they will tell u it is ALL 100000% luck.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a combination of skill and luck or should I say dodging bad luck. Many amazing players have never made the final table at the wsop when arguably the best players are in one location.

Top 10 Games