Is Poker a Game of Skill or Chance?

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skill is necessary if you want to be profitable, but there is always luck and variance

ssi8

ssi8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this combination of skill with luck, skill 70 & good luck 30%

AtownDanger

AtownDanger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we talking live or online ? Because RNGs on online poker sites are always going destroy percentages in the short and long term. Remember no matter how random they tell you their RNG is...it will never be truly random like in a live game. It is impossible for a RNG to 100% randomly deal a deck of cards. So with this being fact.... it must affect the short and long term percentages thus affecting the skill vs. luck factor also.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is a game of skill, strategy, psychology is very important, but luck can appear for better or for worse, unlike other games you can sometimes lose even when your game has been excellent or perfect .. this is the negative , but to get to a heads-up in the wsop you have to have a lot of experience and great knowledge .. luck will not take you directly to a final table although it may help you.

Verdue167

Verdue167

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, as in many games, there is luck involved, but consider this: why have some players turned pro and some haven't? Why do some players in tournament poker win regularly or score high, and others don't? Cause they have skill. It's not that there are professional lottery players or professional bingo players.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi mi friends, i like very lot to play pokerstars. is a game of mind because a player must fink when play.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online - its more luck than skill in micro / low buy ins; but skill will make the difference between a winning and losing player in the long run. Higher buy ins rely more on skill.

Live games - its so much more than skill and/or luck. Psychology plays a large factor, as does your ability to read the player / table / situation, your ability to hide your tells and so much more

oneloy

oneloy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is the development of thinking, tactics, and also psychology ... When we play, we open almost all the doors in our heads ...

Mare10

Mare10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is 50% Lucky game?

Big turnament, we canot win if we dont use card like: 5d 2d like 7s 8s and like theat...We canot win, just with strong starting hand :) so i think theat is lucky 50%...We can use all strategy, the best study and learning but"FLOP TURN AND RIVER IS JUST LUCKY " And for my ideology, poker is gambling game 50% jes it is and 50% is not :)

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's 50% luck. I would say maybe 5 %. Ultimately if you play a profitable strategy long term, no matter your luck you will statistically make money

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly you are right friends. But let's not forget that a pack of playing cards has 52 cards. So, the probability of getting a flop of cards up to 10 is higher. I do not just play monsters or just strong hands, I try and luck. :)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Luck in poker is important, but I think that less than 50%

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck plays a role for sure. You need a bit of luck to do well in a single tournament but over time skill will beat luck. It has been proven. If not, nobody would be making money at this game.

You can get lucky and not capitalize on the luck. Some players can get lucky and then lose value by overbetting or being too passive in another instance. You can get lucky and quadruple up on first hand of tournament and then punt your stack away by being a bad player(see it all the time).

I don't think its more than single digit luck and 100% how you play that luck.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play after their cards, it's not 50% lucky, since you lose in one
you can take it.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depend of the point of view... In long run, luck is just 5%... In just a tournament, luck is like 70%!

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big turnament, we canot win if we dont use card like: 5d 2d like 7s 8s and like theat...We canot win, just with strong starting hand :) so i think theat is lucky 50%...We can use all strategy, the best study and learning but"FLOP TURN AND RIVER IS JUST LUCKY " And for my ideology, poker is gambling game 50% jes it is and 50% is not :)
I do not agry with you, not 50% but i think not more than 25% and it is maximum, other it is skill, as for hands you called it's trash.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a factor but nowhere near 50%...

I'd say 25%

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will say Luck or what some people call "Variance" is about 33% the rest is your skills. :eek:

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, in poker all must be present and the ability to play and luck without it you do not win.

Fordeverest

Fordeverest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker does not have luck, but math and psychology bring money.I was not lucky enough to win more money.

chezzzi_qwe

chezzzi_qwe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75%
skill
-------------------------------
25%
luck

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hardest thing to realize in poker is that the numbers should always work out and that you have to accept that. That means that, let's say for example, you're in a spot where you're a 60/40 favorite. In the head of an inexperienced person, they think that's great, they should win every time! Now, the truth is that it is a pretty good spot but as you play more, you learn to accept that even in a good spot like this one, you still lose 4 out of every 10 times.

M

mico595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We can win with a strong starting hand but we need a lot of chances

Top 10 Games