Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

E

ellokison

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The first rule of poker is that luck doesnt matter so much.. this game is about odds and probabilitys, yes luck may make u win a hand or 2 but when ur in a tournament stability and cool head is what matters the most.
this game is pure odds, for example if u bet and in the turn u have 30 cards that will make u winner and the others got 10 for example ur chances to win is 3:1 .. of course u will loose some but u will 3 out 4 times. i often get a rate of hands in showdown of 75-85% win.

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion luck is the most valuable thing some one can hold in his poker career.
just forget about all words and explanations and all speakings about the game ; and ask your self who will make the most money at the end of the day.? ... isn't the one who get lucky and hit his 10% equity on the river and put all the chips in his pocket .?
There was a study i read in the past , about lucky people and how they face luck in there life events , it states that there is a universal law of luck .
So science believe in luck as a source of prosperity for some beings .

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is good to have a little luck, but I am not counting on it ... I prefer to use my knowledge and my abilities.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely - luck is the most important thing! I can always put you in a tough spot requiring you to make a tough decision, but if right after you make the absolute wrong decision you hit the 2 outer, well, there's no other way to put it.

I have the same skill set day-to-day, which isn't actually too bad, but some days it all works better than I ever could have possibly imagined (sorry Trump) and other days it falls flat. I know when I'm having a lucky day and I know when I'm not. It's kind of like night and day. I also know when I'm playing poorly and whatever happens to me has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with my playing badly that day.

I mean - it's very clear, very transparent. All else equal, the only difference day-to-day is the luck, good or bad.

The most important skill I have is knowing when to quit - either because I'm playing poorly, or because I'm out gunned, or because I'm unlucky that day.

Last edited:
G

Gelidmind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is important, but by no means is a priority. Skill will prevail every time over luck long term. I will say though I'd rather be lucky in spots that matter most when it comes to playing. Overall though I'd rather play with skill and win consistently over the long term than to win big pots in lucky spots.

Naoufalahami

Naoufalahami

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I lose to bad luck all the time

Dmondo

Dmondo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people dont realize you have to get lucky to win a decent sized mtt. However your results will be based on how often you put it in ahead when it comes to long run.

S

shagill55

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a big factor for sure but playing on luck alone will lead to lots of losses

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll give you example from my yesterday tournament.

13 players left from about 130, i was first, prices were for the first 8th players and lose in 4 hands in a row.
1st - 1 villan go all in and i had AA so i call. He had AKo and i lose (he got trips)
2st - 1 villan go all in with low stack i had AQs i call he got A10o and i lose (pair of 10)
3st - 2 villanss go all in i call with KK, lose against 57 (he got straight)
4st - i had about 3BB and i go all in with K7o 1 caller he got 76 and i lose (pair of 6)

That's how i was out of tournament..
So as you can see you won't win anything in poker without much luck.

S

ShuffleUPanDeal111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lucky is and will be always a factor to indicate on each other game, but think that is not everything

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so it is for me also a large percentage is playing luck lately all the poker books were burned !!!!!

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I need more luck ...... and his percentage for me is increasing ... less technique and strategy ... more LUCK!

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MAYBE IN THE POKER ON LINE ROOMS WHERE I PLAY THAT CRITERIA IS LEFT BEHIND ... I SEE THE CHANCES, THE POSITION THE STACK OF TABS EVERYTHING AND HOWEVER I LOSE THEM LASTLY !! ! DO I NEED MORE LUCK ??

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do believe you need luck these days. Especially playing online due to the virus, I notice that my Aces and Kings always get beat, so now I am afraid to play them when my tournament is on the line. It is difficult for me to fold these cards, but in reality if I didn't I'd probably be out of the money....

Beatlebug

Obrudzsahad32

Obrudzsahad32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely YES! I was defeated a lot of times with because the others have luck moustly I loose with AA I dont know why!

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
I would say 20 % you need luck while 80 % is skill and mindset.

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought that luck was more than 10% but of course the most deciding is personal skills. I would say also that really important in poker is patience. Without patience you won't achieve something big

Definitely gotta agree with this. It's patience. You are your own worst enemy. If you got the patience and the ability to lay down big cards if you're coming close to ITM, thats what really makes the difference.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion. I thinks is just the game you play. Not the luck! yes you can get lucky when your behind! But its just the way you manage to survive!

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is is actually 90% skill and 10% luck, I could go even further and say that it's 95% skill. It's not about the hands you get, it's about how you play them. EVEN if you get bad hands a lot, you have to just wait for goods cards, simple as that. There's no game on earth that doesn't have luck. There's a saying in my country that the ball always goes to the best player on the field (I'm talking about football or soccer to american people). No matter what's going on on the field, the best player somehow gets the ball.

CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me MTTs take more luck for a number of reasons but ultimately the cream rises to the top.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have luck you will gain high cards

Game require skills , talent , instinct , but in game poker when you compete by your own cards . So lucky is crucial thing , if you lucky you will be donated with high cards then you will be easily to get won . Beside you have lucky you have to know the way to apply skills like betting and how to motivate betting others . Eventually who stack as much as possible that will be winner . For me the lucky element occupy 70% in poker , and if you play as much as expertised you will shape up instinct .

A

abaraks91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LUCKY PLAYERS NEVER WIN

Hey there friends,

Poker is not just a game of luck, many times you may think its just the luck that got you the win, but in all reality its how you play each and every hand. Poker is unique in that every hand is going to be played different, by the blind size, positioning, and bet size. Every hand is different so luck cannot decide the outcome.

Good Luck, gamble responsibly