Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck will only get you in the short term. If you are playing tournaments beyond your average range, then yes. If you play the same buy ins over and over again, then no.

D

du0rotan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there's nothing wrong with having an outlook that luck is an important aspect of poker and life (but definitely not the "most") - this game can get really stressful and exhausting and it's kind of a nice breather to have something to look forward to when nothing seems to be going your way because there will be times when though you've played your best in a session, someone else maybe playing better and/or be luckier than you. Atleast, having that outlook and that experience of being on the losing end, it becomes easier to deal with losses, easier to adjust, etc.

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is understanding fundamentals, talent, skill, a bit of luck and most importantly being disciplined and avoiding tilt.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck has nothing to do with poker. Chances, probabilities, and strategy and decisions has everything to do with poker.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
IMO it depends on how much you play:
  • if you see poker as a hobby and just play it from time to time, then I would say luck is pretty important to determine your results
  • if you are playing poker regularly then bankroll management, knowledge of the game, strategy, mental game are the most important and luck isn't important anymore as you'll just have to put enough volume and the results will come

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No luck is not the most important thing in poker. Not even close. Luck is an essential part of poker but your skill, focus, patience, and a few other things are much more important than simple luck.

We all do need to get lucky every once in a while but a good poker player does not rely on luck.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Money Matters

Bankroll management overrides both. Without that as the fundamental foundation, it's all whistling past the graveyard. Nobody cares how skilled, lucky, or unlucky one was when they're broke. Except for the person that got broke. Harsh but the truth.
There is no doubt that luck is a huge part of the game but along with patience and card skill there is the biggest factor 'Money Management', without it all the skill and luck is meaningless. Knowing the odds, knowing your opposition, and patience complete the picture, and yes these traits all combined equal skill.

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?

Yes Luck it is the most important.... to probe it just analize that no one can win without luck but many players wins without skills...

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a the master of luck

Yes...withouty luck. You're skills will not prevail. No other comments to be made. If i made a comment, I would make it right now. but I will not make them right now because there's no comments be made. skill has no factor without luck. Gl GG have fun.

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say skill is more important to play the game. Yet luck plays a role on certain hands for or against you.

B

Balanced

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Short term absolutely yes, long term absolutely no!

dopustim

dopustim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fortune

Attachments

• sshot-18.jpg
    sshot-18.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 39
leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe that is a lot more than 10% to me is like 40% and the player makes the other 60%

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I lose to bad luck all the time

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is the last lead in poker, for those who want to win by chance, a labor for those who know the price of choice.

luckyou

luckyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view in short run luck is important but in the long run skill is dominating

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
certainly not, luck can hit high in some hands, but it will not be something that will help to be profitable in the long run

AlexeiShok

AlexeiShok

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we play 10-20 tournaments a day, then no, as we play the game. And if we play 1-2 tournaments a day, then luck decides a lot. It's my opinion. When I play many tournaments, I see that luck solves almost nothing

S

shellie111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
NZ
Chips
yes luck is very important in poker.is the difference from cash and busting

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say it's the most important thing in poker but probably the 2 most important becoz no matter how you play a hand an you set your trap and the other player goes for it all this is skill then you are miles ahead and when playing deep in an MTT and the other player manage to get there i think that obviously luck can't be skills from your opponent

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?

I am of the thinking that skill is going to be the most important factor in poker. Luck will help in the short term, but long term wont. You can't get your money in poorly all the time and continue to win. The odds of probability will catch up.

N

Notguilty842

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'd like to add that if it were entirely luck, why do the same people hit the final tournaments all the time. Are they infinitely lucky? IMPOSSIBLE! lol. The poker God's go in and out favor with everybody, nobody hits all the time, and nobody misses all the time. It's not always about having the winning cards, it's about whether or not your opponent believes he has the winning cards. This game isn't restricted to all in or fold... bidding patterns provide either information, or disillusion. I sharpen my skills daily, because I wanna know when I'm beat, but I also wanna know when I can convince him he's beat.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one day of playing poker consists of 90% luck 10% skill and one year of playing poker consists of 90% skill and 10% luck.play poker and improve your skills

V

volare85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for example some player who won a big tournament I believe in some moment of game he have a luck,but player should play reasonable and try to not depeands ......

S

sheldon20264

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I think luck is an important factor in poker, but not the most important thing