Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

Adrian2809

Adrian2809

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are not lucky you are dead man :) Ex i lost now in a tournament with AA for 87 now.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think luck is the most important thing in poker, but it can be a very deciding factor in your results.

Take MTTs, for example. Nobody, no matter how skilled they are, has ever won a tournament without luck. You could be the most skilled player in the world and have all the knowledge about poker, strategy, MTTs, etc but if you're in a spot where its your AA vs JJ, all-in pre, and they flop a J. Your skill level doesn't matter anymore.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker us a skill based game with a luck factor. Meaning while luck can definitely carry you or screw you over at many points, it's skill that determine whether you'll be a winning poker player over the long term.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i told it in another thread: in tournments (cash is a different universe) there is a negative correlation between luck and the speed of the game (you can count the starting stack size too) the faster the game then you'll need more luck and if slower you'll need less luck.
note that tournaments like wsop are quite slow that is a reason why you can find faces that reach FT several times. do you imagine players like Negreanu reaching FT most of the time playing turbo games? lol

Darwinjose14

Darwinjose14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing in poker is mental ability and patience

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iam wondering why all guys are taking luck as minor factor in the game!
i mean today i lost 5 times holding AA against lower pairs on stone bubble , what do you call this guys ?
what do you call losing AKs to AJo 3 times , and losing AQ to AT 4 times , all this in one session.
Also lost 80bigs flipping QQ to 9Ts called by a fish on bubble.
Fliping is the most important thing in the game , it's seeing the river that makes you win big , all money are put on the river and the flips, so if God is not beside you then certainly you will pay alot.

Takoyaki

Takoyaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, but for sure lucky plays its part. After all, it's not for nothing we always start saying good lucky ^^

F

fortescue1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LucKY7

Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?
Good players have good luck . Trusting luck or players who are superstitious are in the loosing end in table and its not good for the bankroll :)

L

LSTBrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

is a fact but not allways.
I think it's between maths, risk and luck.

Like: No pain, no gain.

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck will win you tournys. But skill and knowledge will get you in position to win. You will rarely win a tourny without giving your opponents some bad beats. And oppositely you will have a harder time winning if you take too many bad beats. That is just poker

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, luck in poker does not exist, it is pure mathematics and odds, it's up to you to make moves that are more likely to win

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long term, better play will win out. But we all have bad runs. How you deal with those is crucial: it's very hard to stay dispassionate when our opponents are sucking out against the odds in nearly every hand we play. Temperament is just as important as skill. Bad beats lead to anger, which leads to the Dark Side, which is a black hole that consumes bankrolls.

O

Oli3579

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long term, exclusively skill, short term a bit of both

piobest

piobest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skills are of course the most important thing in poker, but you can't do it without luck. It was luck that allowed me to win my first tournament, nothing more, by that time I had only been playing poker for 2 months.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AS the famous saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good"

Now, is that to say that luck is the most important thing? I think not. But, it is a part of the equation. The GOAT can minimize the magnitude of luck in his game. While a fish, relies on it exclusively.

That's the challenge of improving your poker game. Trying like hell to remove luck as much as possible.

Borataylor

Borataylor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a short distance, of course it is important. But for a long distance, experience and knowledge that can be applied more important. I think the luck factor is better to exclude and not rely on it, this will save a certain amount.

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for me Now luck gives a lot, about 60-70% of winning, it means I'm not good at bluffing(

But of cos for experienced players (like profecional ones) luck is not as such important...

BUT... just see some tournament on TV - sometimes even brilliant players lose and do not come to money(
So...

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No. I think if you play a good amount of hands, in the end the odds will be the most important factor to determinate the cards will win a hand. So, the game will be the same for everyone in long term. what will make the winner is knowing the best way to play any given situation.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would venture to express my opinion of an amateur. Poker is 99% good luck and 1% to determine the relative strength of your hand or at least calculate the pot odds. Does anyone naively believe that poker sites exist for our entertainment and not for maximum profit.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Many newcomers to poker believe that the most important thing in the game is luck. In fact, this is not so. Professional players believe that only 10% of success depends on luck in poker, and the remaining 90% depends on the player’s skills. Experienced players can even win with the obviously worse cards among their rivals. I use various psychological techniques and expertly bluffing you can beat an opponent with the best combinations on the table, but what’s your opinion?

Luck is important is not essential. Patience, self-control, aggressiveness, focus, these are all more important than luck.
The importance of luck also varies between types of poker. For example; in cash games luck has its importance. However, in Spin & go she gains a better participation.

Glaucopone

Glaucopone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck 13%

Like science, I consider poker to be a sport of the mind, equated with chess and bridge.

I think one of the scientific studies carried out in England pointed out that luck represents 13% and 87% of the victory comes from the player's skills.
Your post gave me an idea to open another post ... follow

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is good, of course. But if you only wait for it, you can sit for a very long time without participating in the game. I would divide the aspects of the game-luck, skill, psychology, math - 25/25/25/25.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not the most important thing.. but it doesn't hurt...

Highscoregodx

Highscoregodx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Except in "Spin n go Flash" mode: D

Of course, the element of luck is present in all modes. I try not to rely on luck, but to play at a "distance"

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is good, of course. But if you only wait for it, you can sit for a very long time without participating in the game. I would divide the aspects of the game-luck, skill, psychology, math - 25/25/25/25.

I absolutely agree with this percentage of poker game factors. After all, it often happens that it’s as if the black bar is unlucky with any card, but sometimes it’s right off the scale with the number of shiny cards)))