Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I believe memory is fundamental to the poker player. Thus, it is possible to better understand the opponent and analyze a possible move.

Memory is essential for everything related to the game of poker.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Memory is paramount, to be a good player, especially when playing live games, If you can remember how a player's style is before you sit down at the table, you have an edge over him already, and this is why the same player seems to win all your home games, time and again, because he remembers how you play.
We have a useful tool when playing on-line because we can make notes on certain player's when we seem to come up against them over and over again, but it is harder to keep notes in a live home game, unless you can remember after the game is over, and these notes are usually stored in your own brain.
I was a cab driver for many years, and it is a proven fact, that a good cab driver has an enlarged hippocampus that stores memory, street's and route's, so that it was easy to compete with other drivers. If I was given an address to pick up from, my hand was straight onto the ignition key and I was away, when some drivers were still trying to find the address on a street map.
I am now retired and some of the street's and routes are gone but I still get asked for directions and I still remember most of the old address'es, It is the new one's I struggle with because I never learned them.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often meet with the same players online, and in principle, I remember all of them well and try to play with them more carefully)

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We use our memory all the time. We always remember the rules of poker. It would be funny not to remember the rules every time.
But seriously, the situations are repeated and sooner or later we will remember them and try to benefit. :deal:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Memory matters, but the degree depends on things like- how good your notes are, how many hands you have on the villan in your hud, and how well you color coded players.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Memory is basic in this game. Poker is maths, so you must remember the cards that have passed from the deck, the previous decks, the cards you possibly saw from the other players and of course your cards! Generally you must remember as much information you can because it is valuable for the game.

Yes, whenever I mentioned in the post is correct, but we must not forget the rules and strategies and also mention the skills of the opponents

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Memory is needed if you play 3-5 tables at the same time, and if you play at the same table, then it is not needed, there is enough intuition.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Experience is what matter the most.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Sometimes you need to know the calculation of cards.

D

dnadeau1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

Yes, it is important.... especially in online poker
to have a great memory especially on the flops
from previous hands and even in previous hands in other tournaments.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Now that I'm in my fifties...memory isn't quite what it used to be. But fortunately, documented intel (via HUD and notes) replaces what I've lost in memory. I'll miss the HUD when we go back to live games, but I'm decent at reading poker faces (though not normal faces, oddly).

But keeping notes has become quite important to my game. The other day I just sat down in cut-off and UTG shoved a monster stack. I was holding pocket Jacks, a mediocre hand at best. But before I folded, I consulted my notes. it made me laugh...

"Absolute and total liar. Will shove any two cards from any position.
Cannot be pushed off a pot...even when they've lost it."

...So I shove/called and doubled up. Their 63o did not hold up.

I also have come across some folks who play tighter than a badger's arse. I steal their blinds all day...and when they come back over the top, I just fold.

...what was I saying? Something about memory?
Oh...I forget...

In the end, the thing I need to remember is "to play my game...and not let curiosity get the better of me. " (ie do not call because you think he might be bluffing. Call because you think you have the better hand, and raise when you KNOW you do.)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

of course the players tendency.... but in online poker you have stuffs to help with memory

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Memory is paramount, to be a good player, especially when playing live games, If you can remember how a player's style is before you sit down at the table, you have an edge over him already, and this is why the same player seems to win all your home games, time and again, because he remembers how you play. We have a useful tool when playing on-line because we can make notes on certain player's when we seem to come up against them over and over again, but it is harder to keep notes in a live home game, unless you can remember after the game is over, and these notes are usually stored in your own brain. I was a cab driver for many years, and it is a proven fact, that a good cab driver has an enlarged hippocampus that stores memory, street's and route's, so that it was easy to compete with other drivers. If I was given an address to pick up from, my hand was straight onto the ignition key and I was away, when some drivers were still trying to find the address on a street map. I am now retired and some of the street's and routes are gone but I still get asked for directions and I still remember most of the old address'es, It is the new one's I struggle with because I never learned them. When the fun Stops, STOP!
Memory is very important in poker, and in the live poker particular. If our memory is strong, we can use it for readings of antagonist body language, poker strategy and rules, etc.. As for what you mentioned about your work and retirement, that is okay. You have done your job to the fullest, and this indicates that your memory is strong as You mentioned. So what you have to do is find an alternative such as poker or other games and hobbies that stimulate memory activity. I am glad to share this post with you. I wish you good health and good luck at poker

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
of course the players tendency.... but in online poker you have stuffs to help with memory

I love to use my memory to play poker, this will help me in live poker. Also, even in the speed of sleep:) Also, I believe, the movement of the players and their aggressiveness, etc. .. It cannot be stored in the poker program

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it definitely matter , helps a lot espacially when it comes to live poker , since online poker you can always take important notes have all the stats hands etc ..

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: the truth, I don't think so, I really don't care much, unless there is something positive, or some important memory, in my life, or some legacy, like...

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
:cool: the truth, I don't think so, I really don't care much, unless there is something positive, or some important memory, in my life, or some legacy, like... Doyle Brunson MASTERCLASS in POWER POKER! LEGENDARY! - YouTube
why not . You can choose how you want to play. Bronson is a professional player and plays in a spontaneous and aggressive manner at the same time at this stage of the tournament, but this method will not qualify him much for the final table or to win the tournament, but I am sure that he will change his strategy in the second stage or when he has to.

Last edited:
Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
My friend, memory is fundamental. I use it the entire time I am at the poker table.

Exactly at the table in live or online poker? Because there is a difference between the two, we need to use more memory in live poker

L

Lftc07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
na minha opinião a memória do jodar de pôquer é um alicerce muito importante, tanto para você definir as jogadas do seu oponente da forma como ele mostra o showdawn, quanto para isso ele tem as notas nas salas de pôquer

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like that's not necessary if you just want to have fun.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, ... everyone ... but if I leave a good image ... everyone will be remembered ... with respect ... bad or very good ... they liked what many of us like ... .Game-loving colleagues .... memorized forever ....

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Memory is one of the most important rules of poker, I consider it one of the ones that makes you have more success in the plays

If you remember not to play, you won't lose any money. Apart from that, it's a good idea to remember what game you're playing, especially if you enter a HORSE tournament and are dealt three kings at razz. Easlily done.