Does a poker player's memory matter?

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure you need not to have a good memory, but at least to use it. For example just to know the style of play of your opponents. Some can play lots of loose hands and you can wait for a good hand and earn his chips. Some people prefer to use special soft to understand the game style of the opponents.
Anyway if you will use your memory , it will be better for you in anyway.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never had the best memory but I am pretty good at keeping track of what the other players at my table have been doing. It has helped many times. I use notes too, but sometimes players act differently than the notes indicate.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in general, memory is a good thing and it will always be useful.The only question is that some have it perfect and some do not have it at all.Poker without memory is a waste of money).

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
memory and mathematical analysis becomes the greatest strategy of playing at a poker table. concentration is everything at a poker table. this is what makes the dream of winning a big tournament come true.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good memory is very important in the game since it helps us to know what type of players we are facing and the cards they show or play and thus we will know how they play, but when it comes to online poker it is more difficult to memorize since We play at several tables and many more hands and we should help each other by marking the players and taking notes on them, because at any moment our memory can fail us and even more if they are regular players it is better to mark them.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good memory is very important in poker because this game is about to react. You are not only playing your cards, you are playing your opponents, your position in table, your stack, your position in the tournament, etc.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

There are a ton of applications to having a strong memory in poker!

• Hand ranges (both per position and by stack size),
  • Plays you see from pro-players to replicate (esp. if you watch Twitch streamers),
  • Scenario outcomes when running sims,
  • Remembering regular tournaments that tend to have overlay,
  • Formulas for calculating ratios,
  • Burn cards in stud games (e.g. if you see 4 diamond up cards folded on flop you know you're less likely to hit a diamond flush).
There are plenty more that could go on this list, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
All true but one thing it's not great to have a good memory for is bad beats. :) Everyone says you remember your bad beats but not those times you got lucky and beat others. Try and forget your bad beats and use the gigabytes in your brain to remember all the things that help your game.

OK. Who among us wants to remember the badbeats. But sometimes we need to remember why we fell into the trap of badbeats

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Can't imagine just playing without having history on the table. Have to be invested with people at the table. How many hands, what position they played and betting ranges.

Yes, as I said, it is not easy to remember everything that happens in front of you at the table and the difference of players and other things. But we can only try

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw an episode of "Poker After Dark", in whic Phil Helmuth was playing a hand against Doyle Brunson.

(Speaking of memory) I don't recall the exact details of what his hand was, but Brunson took ages deciding whether or not to fold. He finally said he remembered a similar situation about 4 years previously, in which Helmuth beat him, so he folded. Turns out, Helmuth had exactly what Brunson thought he had.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For sure you need not to have a good memory, but at least to use it. For example just to know the style of play of your opponents. Some can play lots of loose hands and you can wait for a good hand and earn his chips. Some people prefer to use special soft to understand the game style of the opponents.
Anyway if you will use your memory , it will be better for you in anyway.

Like I said, I totally agree with you. But we need to use memory when playing the tournament slowly and other games like ZOOM etc. ... so we must preserve our memory every time we have the opportunity.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I've never had the best memory but I am pretty good at keeping track of what the other players at my table have been doing. It has helped many times. I use notes too, but sometimes players act differently than the notes indicate.

Yes, sometimes we do not need a strong memory to play better, especially if we stay for a long time at the same table. Also, when players change their moves, this is among the skills of poker so you must be prepared for any trap.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly, we need to remember our mistakes in order to learn from them and correct them, especially in poker. The result of the error is very sad

In addition, I think that if a player cannot remember the rules of the game then this can also be a serious problem. :D

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good memory will help you play a large number of tables, as it will take less time to make a decision.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
in general, memory is a good thing and it will always be useful.The only question is that some have it perfect and some do not have it at all.Poker without memory is a waste of money).

Your opinion is appropriate, so it is good for poker or other bets to also remember where, when and how we spent our money.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Memory is essential in the game of poker. You have to remember a lot of things while playing because it helps you when playing the same opponents and also it's essential when you are faced with deciding whether to check, bet, fold or push.

Yeah. You hit the target. Whenever we have a strong memory, we will quickly remember all the skills and strategies in addition to what you mentioned in your post as well, so we get enough time for a successful reaction.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
After the game, I open the calculator cardschat and enter this or that rally from memory, analyze my game, where and at what stage I made a mistake or could have played better, it helps me in self-education, hence the conclusion, I really need memory

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
memory and mathematical analysis becomes the greatest strategy of playing at a poker table. concentration is everything at a poker table. this is what makes the dream of winning a big tournament come true.

So memory is the basis for acquiring mathematics and collecting all strategies. Well done, good luck

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Good memory is very important in the game since it helps us to know what type of players we are facing and the cards they show or play and thus we will know how they play, but when it comes to online poker it is more difficult to memorize since We play at several tables and many more hands and we should help each other by marking the players and taking notes on them, because at any moment our memory can fail us and even more if they are regular players it is better to mark them.

Good, for example in a slow tournament we might face the same players at several tables, we would need a strong memory to memorize each player's movements.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Good memory is very important in poker because this game is about to react. You are not only playing your cards, you are playing your opponents, your position in table, your stack, your position in the tournament, etc.

Yes, as you said. A good memory is very important. Memory is the basis for the acquisition of mathematics and poker strategies. Good luck to you

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
There are a ton of applications to having a strong memory in poker!

• Hand ranges (both per position and by stack size),
  • Plays you see from pro-players to replicate (esp. if you watch Twitch streamers),
  • Scenario outcomes when running sims,
  • Remembering regular tournaments that tend to have overlay,
  • Formulas for calculating ratios,
  • Burn cards in stud games (e.g. if you see 4 diamond up cards folded on flop you know you're less likely to hit a diamond flush).
There are plenty more that could go on this list, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Yes, when we have a good memory then we will be able to master all the skills of poker, and this is what we all wish.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I saw an episode of "Poker After Dark", in whic Phil Helmuth was playing a hand against Doyle Brunson.

(Speaking of memory) I don't recall the exact details of what his hand was, but Brunson took ages deciding whether or not to fold. He finally said he remembered a similar situation about 4 years previously, in which Helmuth beat him, so he folded. Turns out, Helmuth had exactly what Brunson thought he had.

Good example. This is startling as Bronson mentioned the Hellmouth movement four years ago. This is professionalism and a good proof of the importance of good memory.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In addition, I think that if a player cannot remember the rules of the game then this can also be a serious problem. :D

It is true. Memory is the key to becoming a poker master

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
A good memory will help you play a large number of tables, as it will take less time to make a decision.

It also helps us quickly remember all the skills related to poker

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing without memory is like playing recklessly. Through memory, you truly analyze your past games and apply the results of the analysis to the present.