Does a poker player's memory matter?

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a good memory and it saved my butt many times; however, sometimes my memory advises me one thing and I do another and it usually ends badly.

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is very important, to analyze especially the rivals.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. I don't remember the opponent when I win, and I get angry about the opponent who lost, so I try to forget it as soon as possible.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I consider that it is an essential point in poker to be able to know what way to play the opponents have and how to get the best out of it in our favor.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really but if you have sharp memory than it'll help you more as you know which hand you played wrong way last time and what to do next or vice versa.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any card game, memory is vital. Memory should be a key element in your strategy against opponents.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

Too bad i don't have a super solid memory to remember ALL THE PLAYERS tendencies, opening ranges, position moves, semibluffmoves or checkraise moves.
Too much for me to remember:)
THATS why i have my notes, so they can't escape me:deal: :D

But if i did have such a gift i would probably be using it in every game i played whether it be tournament or cash games:joyman:

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of asking does memory matters, you should ask how to use the memory as effectively as possible. Yesterday I read a book about "memory hacking" and I learned something very valuable. It said memory masters don't have a better memory, but they know how to concentrate better. That was something I have not realized earlier.

I am one of the worst types to be a poker player, very impatient, and can't focus for a long period (that's why I don't play long tournaments that much), that's why I struggle a lot memorizing complex stuff. I saw this as something to overcome, and I have done that partly.

There are many different memory techniques like memory palace, loci method, PEG system etc. just google them. By these techniques, you can memorize for example any possible ranges you need to use, and actually very easily. I have been very bad at math also, then I saw a video about "mathemagician", and found a book that teaches mental math secrets. It gave me a lot of hope when I saw it is very easy to calculate super complex math problems in a few seconds with not a lot of effort.

If you want to learn memory techniques, I recommend you to google "art of memory". In that site, there is many helpful techniques and forum where you can practice improving memory.

And as a bonus tip: Anki (flashcard App). I add there almost everything I study. It is a super-effective way to learn as fast as possible.

Hope this answer helped.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always matter, but i think memory is not the most important skill.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Memory is very important when it comes to reading players faces at the table in a live game, watching there reactions when a flop hits them, or misses them completely, how they bet in certain situations, all give you information you can use against them in a game.
On-line it is extra hard to play against other players because you cannot see these tells and get as many reads on players, but there is some situations where a good read on a players betting patterns can help you, memorizing these can help you to beat some players bluff's.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

M

malibuflo1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it matters but at higher stakes, at micro tournaments you are just lucky because the players only put all in .. so it's like slots

K

kahuamp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can make the difference if you play on rooms that don't allow HUDs. If you can remember the fish, the regs and their avatars, as well as their standard plays.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it matters since it helps in the future (later in the game)

Lets say a guy bluffed you 3 times and later in the ft he does a bluff again, but you dont remember the guy bluffing 3 times then it could cost you money.

Or when a player is super bad and you forget that its also gonna cost you money, ofcourse people have huds these days.

But for me its nice to remember or just put a little note on them
just to know what type of player he is otherwise in the long run you will only hurt yourself forgetting these players.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It matters and I think a lot. So much for the theory, the hands, strategies that your players use, the cards, I believe that memory is an important factor within several.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The motivation of the game itself, since it is very exciting, also the idea of ​​learning, improving the game and being a little better player every day.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it is one of the most important poker variables.
Now replaced by HUDS online
for now (luckily) without replacement in live tournaments
No memory I think everything is complicated for you

A

alsorory

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If he leaves a legacy, yes, it matters

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These two points are very important: 1. Memory 2. The notes The notes are almost similar because you take written or mental notes of the way each player plays so that no matter how good a hand you have, you will be able to fold, which is an advantage for every experienced player.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
memory

Yes memory matters. when you play and see a weak player betting on so so cards and you go to a different table and then bam he's at a table you got moved to later in the game advantage is yours because you now know you can trap him.

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Memory is the same as notes and HUDs. They matter and are fantastic assets in telling you what type of player your going against.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no other word other than DEFINITELY

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Memory is a key in every sport or game. Experience and skills grow when you remember game situations and opponents tendencies and build on that to make your game better, without it your just capable and prone to keep repeating the same mistakes and bad moves.

J

justdoit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

yh course if you have above average memory you got a really good tool at your disposal and can analyse compute more info, its like computers your can have a powerful Processor but if the RAM sucks it wont run as well efficiently be able to hold as much strings of info and functions and do stuff with them.

mine sucks for what its worth sometimes feel like i got early onset dementia lol, its always been poor though family always moaned about it

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having a good or exceptional memory definitely can help you in the game.
Use it to remember how an opponent play on certain situation.