Does a poker player's memory matter?

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If we have a solid memory, how and when can we use it in poker?

Too bad we have all the HUDs and stuff, or we would have to memorize everything. But no, we can sit like vegetable and not bother.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
definitely it matter, if you can memorize all the players tendency you can definitely win more tournaments, memorize all the maths in poker and you will crush it

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The better we remember our mistakes, the less often we will repeat them.:banghead:

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a great memory it can be useful in the standard spots, when you have to do a mechanic move in your daily grind. However poker is a place full of tricks and moves made by other real time strategy players. Doesn't really matter if they are good or not. Only matters how you can read them and "feel" (for lack of a better word... my english is terrible sorry) what they are trying to do.

I would say is better to have a good memory, but is even better for you to be really connected with the game and understand the reaction of others.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you dont take notes on players that have tendencies then yes you better have a good memory .

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
definitely it matter, if you can memorize all the players tendency you can definitely win more tournaments, memorize all the maths in poker and you will crush it

Yes, it is important to reduce the math equations to speed up the reaction and likewise to reduce the movement of players, especially in online poker

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the player's memory plays an important role and directly affects his results. If the player does not remember his own mistakes, then most likely he will repeat them again and again.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course, memory in a poker player is very important that will help you identify what type of players you have at your table and how they play certain hands

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
If you have a great memory it can be useful in the standard spots, when you have to do a mechanic move in your daily grind. However poker is a place full of tricks and moves made by other real time strategy players. Doesn't really matter if they are good or not. Only matters how you can read them and "feel" (for lack of a better word... my english is terrible sorry) what they are trying to do.

I would say is better to have a good memory, but is even better for you to be really connected with the game and understand the reaction of others.

very good. The most important thing is that I understood your message, I am no better than you in English, so I often seek help from Google translator. But your idea was useful. Of course remembering the movement of players is an important thing, as is the rules of math and everything related to poker skills, the important thing is speed of memory

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
if you dont take notes on players that have tendencies then yes you better have a good memory .

Remembering the players ’movements is one of the most important things as you said. But we have to remember all the poker skill-related features like strategy and math

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it would be a great help, particularly to those just starting out as there is so much to memorize! Pre-flop default opening and shoving ranges took me quite a while to get down pat in the beginning and I imagine someone with an epic memory would’ve progressed faster on that than I did back then!

I’m reading a book about memory now, and it talks about how much easier it is to remember things with a visual cue. That’s probably why I still remember some of the regs and their tendencies back to the days of Full-Tilt 90-mans because I can still picture their avatars 🤣

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think that the player's memory plays an important role and directly affects his results. If the player does not remember his own mistakes, then most likely he will repeat them again and again.

Exactly, we need to remember our mistakes in order to learn from them and correct them, especially in poker. The result of the error is very sad

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Of course, memory in a poker player is very important that will help you identify what type of players you have at your table and how they play certain hands

It is important to remember the players and their movements, especially in online poker there are many players

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think it would be a great help, particularly to those just starting out as there is so much to memorize! Pre-flop default opening and shoving ranges took me quite a while to get down pat in the beginning and I imagine someone with an epic memory would’ve progressed faster on that than I did back then!

I’m reading a book about memory now, and it talks about how much easier it is to remember things with a visual cue. That’s probably why I still remember some of the regs and their tendencies back to the days of Full-Tilt 90-mans because I can still picture their avatars 🤣

Therefore, I can only wish you a continued fine career in poker. This indicates that you are a professional poker player. Unfortunately, I can't find the time to search for books on poker skills and strategy, all I can do is browse through forums like Cardschat. Can I ask you for the name of the book for the memorial you are reading right now? Good luck to you. Thanks Cardschat

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Therefore, I can only wish you a continued fine career in poker. This indicates that you are a professional poker player. Unfortunately, I can't find the time to search for books on poker skills and strategy, all I can do is browse through forums like Cardschat. Can I ask you for the name of the book for the memorial you are reading right now? Good luck to you. Thanks Cardschat

Sure, here’s the book:
By: Lisa Genova
“Remember: The Science of Memory and the Art of Forgetting”

Hope you enjoy it :)

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Too bad we have all the HUDs and stuff, or we would have to memorize everything. But no, we can sit like vegetable and not bother.

Heads-Up Display is a good way to do online poker but it doesn't harden our memories. What about live poker? ("Vegetables"HHH are not included in poker ) Well, I am not American or English so that I can understand this type of phrase.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads-Up Display is a good way to do online poker but it doesn't harden our memories. What about live poker? ("Vegetables"HHH are not included in poker ) Well, I am not American or English so that I can understand this type of phrase.
Im Russian. We call a vegetable someone like sittin on a couch whole day and watching TV. And like i said with HUDs, you dont have to memorize stuff. Like how people play or even their nicknames. HUD is doing everything for you. Sit on a couch turn on TV and relax.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Im Russian. We call a vegetable someone like sittin on a couch whole day and watching TV. And like i said with HUDs, you dont have to memorize stuff. Like how people play or even their nicknames. HUD is doing everything for you. Sit on a couch turn on TV and relax.

There is nothing wrong. The first time I understood what you mean. We in Morocco also speak such terms. I wish you good luck

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All true but one thing it's not great to have a good memory for is bad beats. :) Everyone says you remember your bad beats but not those times you got lucky and beat others. Try and forget your bad beats and use the gigabytes in your brain to remember all the things that help your game.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't imagine just playing without having history on the table. Have to be invested with people at the table. How many hands, what position they played and betting ranges.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Memory is essential in the game of poker. You have to remember a lot of things while playing because it helps you when playing the same opponents and also it's essential when you are faced with deciding whether to check, bet, fold or push.