Would you go All in first hand.

T

Tinyman1104

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah if you're going to fold AA there you aren't playing poker to make money. If you're playing to have fun sure do whatever you want

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
All in first hand with AA - yes. I've done it and tripled up (a tourney with no real consequences unfortunately).

If in early position, you do not know how the table will react -yes, it is a risk. However, I guarantee most will think one of two things. The sensible ones will be sat thinking no one is going to be this audacious, "Uh-ho, Aces"... and fold.

The wilder ones will be thinking, this player is crazy/stupid/loose and I have Q 9 ….let's give it a go.

That said, post first hand, I would slow(ish) play any hand to really suss out the table dynamic, to see how intelligently the table was playing (or not as the case might be).

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$250.00 buy-in. Texas Holdem tournament
You plan your weekend to play in a fund raiser tournament. The tournament was located approximately 2 hour away from home. Played over two days. The first hand you are dealt is a pair of A's. Two people go all-in. Would you go all-in or fold?
I folded. I did not want to be knocked out first hand of the tournament. I feel like I am about 50/50 when I am dealt a pair of A's and go all-in.

Your question is straight forward, and for how you described it, it makes sense you folded.

You are there for the fun of it and not interested in flaming out early on a crazy board. Risking the experience in a single hand was not a +ev for what you wanted. Did you have a good time at the event?

For me I am making that call, but I am OK with the risk, hopefully I can get into a cash game if my bullets don't hold, but yes for me that is a snap call.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If only 2 players go all-in and I have AA's I would call.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
All in first hand with AA - yes. I've done it and tripled up (a tourney with no real consequences unfortunately).

If in early position, you do not know how the table will react -yes, it is a risk. However, I guarantee most will think one of two things. The sensible ones will be sat thinking no one is going to be this audacious, "Uh-ho, Aces"... and fold.

The wilder ones will be thinking, this player is crazy/stupid/loose and I have Q 9 ….let's give it a go.

That said, post first hand, I would slow(ish) play any hand to really suss out the table dynamic, to see how intelligently the table was playing (or not as the case might be).

It’s odd to follow up your own comment but this is relates directly.

Today played the CC Daily $100 FR at ACR.

In the BB with, yup, AA for the opening hand of the tourney. I go all in and two stacks follow, one with 77 and the other KQ suited (I believe). The seven’s make a set on the flop (mini heart attack) but then so do I on the turn. Triple up. 2 levels later pocket rockets again, this time played slow with a simple 2BB raise, the BB comes over the top with his raise and I go all-in, he follows and now I’m quadrupled up.

The run good evaporated but, no begrudging that, glided to the cash effortlessly, finished twelfth. Of course, aces can be cracked but as an opening play if given the good fortune to hold them at launch...I say play them.

L

luskata27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll probably pay. Yes, I can drop out. But if I get the first hand, I'll probably play a little more relaxed. I may be wrong, of course.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought it was every players dream to have AA and have two players already allin by the time it was your turn to act.

Well...I guess that's why they call it poker. :)

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup never survived AA first hand. Sickist was AA vs KK and I told him he had KK he still went all in... naturally I had to call. K on the river

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I would be fine, a double at the beginning of the tournament is always good.
After the fold, I would only administer.
:party:

:icon_thum

B

Blackout09

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what hand i have and position.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely if I had the appropriate hand, especially if i'm playing in a game such as a freeroll that a lot of players play Bingo Poker. Great way to start with a chip advantage.

D

dayontour

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely all in

I would definitely go “all in”.
I see “all in” as lady luck doing its thing it will either give me an easy double up or end up out.
Either way being dealt pocket aces I feel I have no choice but to go with it and go “all in”.

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of easy value strategies are contingent on who the fish are. If you think they'll take the bait, do what ever you can to suck them dry.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy call, probably holding AA KK QQ JJ or something
worse case you're againts AA and KK's leaving kk's with 2 outs or hitting a straight draw, think you can never fold that so early in the tournament giving you good odds to triple your stack up right away.

same question is would you fold in that spot on the bubble?
Or would you fold in that spot in the middle of a tournament?

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u r playing to win u got a call with that hand . C'mon mannnnnn

Westbrook31

Westbrook31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ready set All In

In a tourney i can rebuy with lots of people that the only way you have a chance is stacking up chips to survive getting bullied from the bubble in the and a large waist of time this makes sense.

The only reason i would be tossing ok hands out and waiting for a big moment or nursing stack conservatively is if i was playing in an event by a community that makes sense to be seen.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have but only if i have notes on the player who goes in first. Would never go in first to much risk.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me that's easy I couldn't toss aces to a preflop all in unless maybe 4 or five called in, even then it would be hard for me to let go ... that is just way to cautious imo ... and if you won't play the best starting hand in poker ... well me, I would have to think if I should ever play again .... if you go busto, so be it .... but not laying it down like that ...

T

Tyler Finnimore

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would have to call with AA no matter what with only 2 people in

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Online I do it often! Live I wouldn’t fold!

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would rather get knocked out on the first hand with pocket aces than hang around all day and miss the money. At some point you are going to have to gamble in a tournament. You might as well take your chances with the best starting hand possible.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands