Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$250.00 buy-in. Texas Holdem tournament
You plan your weekend to play in a fund raiser tournament. The tournament was located approximately 2 hour away from home. Played over two days. The first hand you are dealt is a pair of A's. Two people go all-in. Would you go all-in or fold?
I folded. I did not want to be knocked out first hand of the tournament. I feel like I am about 50/50 when I am dealt a pair of A's and go all-in.

First hand?? I'm looking for a triple up!!

What hands are you afraid of being up against??

88 and KQ ? TT and AJ ??

And, don't forget that you have just as much of a chance of flopping a set as any other pair does.

Also, the fact that it was a charity tournament meant that there were plenty of novice and recreational players that were there to support the charity and have a good time. So the quality of play is questionable.

If you couldn't lose the first hand w AA and then shrug your shoulders and stand up and go rebuy or re-enter for another $250 then that is the definition of not being properly bankrolled for that tournament. Perhaps you could have been more financially comfortable making a $25 donation to the charity itself and playing several $50 tournaments that hopefully you wouldn't hesitate calling 2 all-ins preflop when you hold AA.

Good luck !

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not fold here as the potential for a stack is too big, I will say though I get your thoughts on a tournament that you looked forward too and was a drive and then you get this spot on the first hand. I will not lie and say that it is not the hand I would want on the first hand but would rather have it dealt later in the tournament. With that being said, you just cant fold here because if you do then you are not there to win but just there to "play" a couple hours.

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the end I would have won the hand. The winner hole card's kings. A pair of Queens on the flop. That was all needed to win the hand. Made it to the second day. Used the last of my chips on a K, Q of clubs. Three hearts on the flop and then two diamonds. Could not even get another black card. In the end we had fun.

J

Jak0diamonds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing the 888 1m main event and if i had AA first hand...im going in.

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not always go all in with AA but would not fold it preflop, Would more likely just raise with the hand,

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were a rich maniac yes I would go all in.

C

Chibude4040

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy all-in with A-A in any situation...

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are afraid to play with hands like AA, then I just don’t understand how you were going to win this tournament?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to get knocked out the first hand but I would ask "Would you play that way had you been playing online at home?"

I would have played the aces and if I lost, well, I still made a contribution to a fundraiser.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what the game is. If you end up all in with 3 or 4 other players your more likely to be out.

If it's a freeroll and there are a huge number of players I am basically all in first hand with any 2

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely . There are a few rare occasions where I would go all in first hand. In fact, it may make sense to risk doubling up right off the start and then play a little more seriously afterwards.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you think the hand number is an important factor in
considdering wether to shove or not....???

The situation either justifies a shove or it doesn't... or a call if someone already went all-in.

If it's a freeroll and there are a huge number of players I am basically all in first hand with any 2

I guess you are not winning much in freerolls, do you ?

S

Smally87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact, it may make sense to risk doubling up right off the start

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to get knocked out the first hand but I would ask "Would you play that way had you been playing online at home?"

I would have played the aces and if I lost, well, I still made a contribution to a fundraiser.
This all day. I think that in order to be successful you can’t be timid with pocket aces preflop. I have always played with the idea that you play the game and don’t think about the time or the money.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You plan your weekend to play in a fund raiser tournament. The tournament was located approximately 2 hour away from home. Played over two days. The first hand you are dealt is a pair of A's. Two people go all-in. Would you go all-in or fold?
I folded. I did not want to be knocked out first hand of the tournament. I feel like I am about 50/50 when I am dealt a pair of A's and go all-in.
It would only come with AA!

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is about taking risks, so I don't understand how you can fold the very best preflop hand. You rather could have been grateful to have a chance to gain chips at the start, and have a very great stack to get into the money later.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It depends on what the game is. If you end up all in with 3 or 4 other players your more likely to be out.

I'm pretty sure the OP gives the specifics of the hand.

DTMath... Do The Math ;)
This is a SUPER EASY call ainec. Even if we feel we might have a huge edge over the rest of the field, nlhe tournament play is such that we can rarely pass up on +ev spots and to pass up on one as juicy as this one is really not good ('bad' in other words).

It's great to see all of the people who have agreed with your fold & for whatever reasons they provided (it's good to see what they're thinking). Even if I were up vs. 4 other players who have gone allin ahead of me, I am STILL SNAP calling here.

Also, the types of hands we're likely to see in this unlikely spot have us always well ahead (ie. JJ, QQ, KK, AK).

I'm glad you had fun at the event.... BUT.. I am guessing that you would've had more fun had you made this call. (am also guessing it's part of the reason for this post as I'm sure I would have regrets if it were me..... although I still have regrets about how I played one hand at wsop 3yrs. ago, lol... & it was a close spot... 'maybe'(?))

damkoMTK

damkoMTK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So how did the game play out, who won out of those two and what did they have?

I would go all in with :as4::ad4:and then most likely I would lose to that guy who had :10s4::8h4: :burnout:

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would call and a chance for you to extract chips, because who guarantees that I will be winner in the next hand and the risk that we have to run to go further in the tournament

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was going to fold this spot I would not have even bought in

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If everyone at the table, said lets go all in I would do that.

B

BobcatFreeway

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah why not, spices up the start of the tournament haha

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone all in. AA is the best starting hand...what else can you wait for?

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the answer is in, I'd say 90% or more of people here would have played that AA, as would I.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands