kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
starting the tournament and against two players I would think it a lot against two or more pairs of aces have muschas odds against and can be overcome it seems stupid but I the apothecaries lol

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't find a reason to play such a high variance spot so early in a tournament , no matter the buy in. Those players were probably just playing for the sake of the fund raising?!

If I were in your shoes I would have done the same nit fold because I like the game of poker.I want to play post flop and small ball poker instead of getting eliminated in such a spot. I start open shoving or 3bet jamming when the odds and the math are correct and the play is a long term +EV action, based on my current ability and knowledge as a player.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your goal was to win money, then this fold was certainly a huge mistake. AA all in preflop is always hugely + chip EV regardless of the number of opponents, and as others have already said, the only time, this can be overridden by ICM-considerations, is near the bubble in a satellite. Had you called and won this hand, you would have gotten a huge early chip lead, which allowed you to comfortably reach at least the middle phase of the tournament.

If you had other goals like fun or entertainment for the weekend, these are personal and therefore not suited for discussion in a poker forum. I can not tell you, how much it would have bothered you to go out in the first hand. I can only tell you, that if your goal is to win money in tournaments, you have to always be ready to die, and you can not let other factors than chip EV and ICM influence your decision making.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I, too, would not rush to go to extreme measures. There is still a long game ahead and there will still be good cards.

FluartG

FluartG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in this case I’ll make an average bet, and maybe I’ll go to the bank, which would be for sure

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in all the time, it does not matter if it is at the beginning at the middle or the end of the tournament, only ifffffff only 2 more players on the table goes all in ok ;)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap shove, if I lose I can relax for the next 2 days and if I win I trippled up on the first hand.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your not ready to risk everything with the best possible starting hand I believe you will never be able to win, poker is a gambling game if you have no gamble your already beat.On top of that your playing in a live Trny,if any of the other players knew you folded aces pre-flop your going to bullied out of every pot after that

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

In that situation all the warning signs were given not to go all-in. You made the right call to fold. If it wasn't a special event, a long road trip, and two people calling or one of the first to bet. I would probably go all-in. You can go all-in one ninth of the time and win. Nine players one wins.

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call. You got your money in good. That’s all you can ask for.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
That is a call. But I can respect your decision to fold, in live poker sometimes other factors then just the game theory calculates into poker decisions. It is entirely normal and even somewhat expected I would think, if you are not a pro.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My decision is yes I would go all-in with Aces even if two other players call or raise all-in because you can't get better than aces.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This should be an easy call. Yes you’ll lose this hand some of the time but you are way ahead. It’s an early chance to triple up. You can’t fold hands where you’re for sure ahead and have longterm success. You took a huge gamble by not playing. I hope it paid off...

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$250.00 buy-in. Texas Holdem tournament
You plan your weekend to play in a fund raiser tournament. The tournament was located approximately 2 hour away from home. Played over two days. The first hand you are dealt is a pair of A's. Two people go all-in. Would you go all-in or fold?
I folded. I did not want to be knocked out first hand of the tournament. I feel like I am about 50/50 when I am dealt a pair of A's and go all-in.
I'm for the all-in, if you want to win first place, the best time to take risks,

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im a pretty big all-in player, and with aces its tough to fold.. But lately I have been folding great cards on the first hand because they just dont win that much for some reason? And it does suck to get knocked out so early :)

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter the buy in and the tournament duration i would deffinetly call all in.If i have a chance to triple up 1st hand i wouldnt fold.If im dealt AK or AQ ... or smaller pairs yea i would fold but AA deffinetly call

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be a definite call for me regardless of the stakes.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first hand or not, that's an easy call in my opinion

you have the best starting hand possible and there are two players all in pre flop

this is an all in no matter what.. bad fold

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi :ciao:
need take some smart chances
else never have success
i was taught is only two rules in poker betting
1. never fold AA preflop
2. never fold a royal flush

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aces are nice.I would go all in only if I had to.Its a gamble.

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Hmm, preflop? thats an easy call to be honest

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$250.00 buy-in. Texas Holdem tournament

I folded. I did not want to be knocked out first hand of the tournament. I feel like I am about 50/50 when I am dealt a pair of A's and go all-in.

Would you have gone all in if it was the 96th hand of the tournament? Why?

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
depending on why sometimes the pair of A does not always guarantee you the victory and even more at the beginning of a tournament since almost always several will go to try their luck and as seen it works I would go with everything if I get a trio or possibility of color considering the ladder because I paused that I lost against a colored ladder

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This to me is a no brainer, this is a good spot , take it when you get it, or fold if you want to be playing scared, which wont get you anywhere but out of the tourn. in the long run

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands