Why all the All-Ins online & how to beat it?

S

Shep15jon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s why I try and avoid smaller buy-in tournaments, losing an entry of £1.10 or whatever means nothing to most. So they’ll all in TIL they double up a few times and sit it out for the bubble.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will find alot of that in freerolls and in the firsr hour of micro (R&A) MTT's . Just be patient once you improve your game and build your bankroll you will get away from it .

I do not agree with you, because in these tournaments where there are a lot of players we have to enter with them in the game of All in, because there are all types of players, those who are bad, those who play purely on chance and luck and when we have a good hand we can not abandon it. from where the risk exists to lose even with AA ... this type of games where the players throw All in at the beginning of the tournaments we have no choice but to follow them when we have a good hand and hope to win

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-Ins and dealing with it.Any hand can be good or bad, the flop determines the good

I am new to online poker and get really frustrated with the constant All-in play. It seems like a lot of players go all-in when they get a good hand, I guess I should appreciate it, but don't understand it. Then there are some that just push all the time ? Is this the culture or just bad play ?
Dealing with this can be helpful to you. Just cause they go all in, don't mean they have a good hand. Most times when you call you end up losing to someone else. Mainly, they are trying to build against the higher blinds that are to come, but that formula of playing has little success in the long run. Learn to read them and use them to spring into a successful tournament. These all-inners have a blind spot; when you have a good hand, they don't always go All-Ins, and the flop favors you ,then bait them with a raise or simple check. Remember,you can't win with scared money. Go get their bankroll.

E

elmucu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In most freerolls they go alliing in the first cards to raise their position, but you need to evaluate the position and the range to perform the best action.

B

Binraker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it’s in a freeroll it’s arguable +EV in the early rounds.
There’s no cost, it improves your chances of getting a playable chipstack to progress though the tournament and if you lose an all in you can move onto something else.
I’m not a fan of doing it myself but I can see why others do.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This culture in the free tournaments ... totally correct and in addition to this you have many players of micro limits that look like kamikases will play you all in with any pair they get on the flop. I have seen a bit of this also in tournaments with buy in in the early stages of the tournaments and you will find yourself with the best quality of the game. Good luck at the tables !!!

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only go all in, or call, if you feel you have the best hand. I know there's room first scrutiny on this comment, but it's a golden rule. Doesn't mean I always follow it.

X

Xarius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how do i overcome the bad suckout when i have a winning hand in the start but then loose and i have a feeling that im winning too but i know i am when i see there hand but still loose how do i avoid that?

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls the first few hands/rounds people go all in to stack up. After that it slows down until the blinds go up, and then you see if again at the 800+BB rounds.

L

Lazerx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in

I am new to online poker and get really frustrated with the constant All-in play. It seems like a lot of players go all-in when they get a good hand, I guess I should appreciate it, but don't understand it. Then there are some that just push all the time ? Is this the culture or just bad play ?

played against 1 guy yesterday he musta spent 50 bucks in rebuys just kept on going all in very frusterating with 1.5 hours of rebuys

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what stakes are in. I'm saying that, at least from my experience, when I played micro and mini stake tournaments you are right many tend to ALL IN with monster hand, but as the stake go up, they wanna see a flop, turn and river. I've played some $215 bounty and milli and there all in's were at least after flop, to be sure you're not gambling with AK get called with 68S and lost your place in tournament.

C

Complx_Poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does entirely depend on the player and the game being played.
There are multiple reasons a player might move all in.

Perhaps they have a low pair like pocket 2's or pocket 5's that they move in with pre-flop. Either because they don't want to play the hand and would rather take the pot down now. Or hope that only one player calls and misses the flop, turn and river. This is a bad way to play in a tournament in my opinion. Yes, you can get lucky and your opponent misses eveything, but sometimes it will not work in your favour. Perhaps you shove with pocket 2's and then they have pocket Jack's and call you... Off topic but the best way to play low pairs in a tournament is to see the flop as cheaply as possible, and then look to hit a set. if you see a lot of betting wise move is get out the way.

People might shove all in pre-flop in an attempt to steal blinds. If you are the big blind and you have a substantial hand, i'd lean more towards a call, depending on if im near the bubble.

Some players are very loose and will shove all in with mediocre hands like Jack 10 o, or Queen 10 o. If you are in a tournament, I wouldn't call an all in with anything other Than Ace Queen suited or above. or pocket Kings or Pocket Aces, and maybe Pocket queens. That should be your baseline, however, as play progresses and you start to determine peoples ranges, you might notice a player shoving an Ace with any other card like 7 or 5. If you notice this and you have Ace Queen, definitely worth considering calling.

M

MasterConan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tons of good advice there. I find it more important to worry about my own hands and ranges, and to keep those fluid for position, hand strength and stack size. Add in some table reads and away u go. Carefull on reads, just cause they are a loose player shoving dumb cards all the time does not mean when u call u win, it is a % thing, over all u know. No need to go from 5th out of 300 to 150th just cause u have aq off, go ahead n fold to the all in donk sometimes. The risk benifit does not actually change all that much even with ur reads and a strong hand. All that said I call them off a lot in freerolls early on and it does go well over all. No fear with no investment.

Cheers!
C.

6bet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good answers on this thread. In tournament play I always prefer to be the first in and keep fold equity on my side, except maybe when I have AA.

No need to get frustrated, just know your odds and pick your spots. If you are calling just because you "think they are bluffing" or "keep them honest" "teach them a lesson" etc this is most likely not a good play! Call a push much less than often than you push, as these situations allow for the highest variance.

And look on the bright side, don't you love getting shoved on when you have the nuts?:icon_joke

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the tournaments you are playing but if freerolls it is definitely the culture at the start of tournaments as people go all in to try and get ahead early and also cause you have nothing to lose since you didn't pay anything to enter

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best, and the only way to defend against this style play is to learn push/fold ranges, and ICM.... if you have any questions feel free to get a hold of me.

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, its the most frustrating/ecstatic/twisted and vengeful game on earth. I played 8 yrs in prison, 2 years online, and i still get spitting pist off when im sitting on Aces and get shoved on with 10, J, and the flop is 789. If someone was a fly on my wall. Lol.
I do okay though. I chalk it as a loss like, "Touche, my dude cause how many times have i cracked heads on some BS? Love/hate relationship dude.

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Beats

This tends to happen a lot in the lower stakes. I play a lot of free rolls and its like an unwritten rule almost that if you have a good hand its just a shove no matter what, I don't really understand it but I have tons f fun beating AK with off suite 26 lol.

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you, there are many online players who play so, be patient and you have to answer when you get a good hand.I think it's a boring game style, but everyone is allowed to play in their own way.
i totally agree that everyone has the right to play ya want . Sometimes you are on the good end and sometimes you are on the wrong end alll ya can do is wait it out or jump right on in and have fun.

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are FREE! When people aren't invested they tend to care very little and proceed impulsively and erratically. In general online poker tends to play more like a turbo even when the format isn't turbo. Most live poker tourneys are deep stacks or at least deeper than online.
When you have less than 25 BBs players feel forced to act with any decent hand and go all in.

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think some people in the freerolls use the all-in strategy early on to try and build a stack and then start playing normally. because on ACR with only 10 people getting paid and around a thousand entries it sucks playing tight for an hour or an hour and a half to lose. Where if you can double or triple up early it makes it easier to play. just a thought, I've tried it a few times but never seems to work for me.

T

thomassk8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to each their own

seems like everyone has their own strategy. if they want to go all in, so be it. use the tools that poker offers and realize its a game of luck anyways.

J

Jedimindtryx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allin

i think alot of micro stakes players dont have any idea how to play post flop so they are either shoving or folding