Survival Tournament - would you fold KK?

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would

I pushed all In with AA and got taken out by 57 late in the tournament. I was ITM but still upsetting. The poker gods can be cruel but I say stay confident and go with it all the time. you will win most of the time.

Depends on how likely I think someone is going to be playing AA. With only one (short) player already in the pot and two (only) possibles to follow, I'm always going to shove this hand UNLESS I think it's pretty likely that UTG+1 has aces (I've seen that happen often enough).

These satellites have a strange way of flipping around completely when you take the 'safe' road.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without a doubt! This situation + EV is huge. I would only pay with AA.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would reraise all in to try and get the 2 blinds to fold . That would let them know you are very strong and they should get out of the way . If you just call they will probably reraise you all in anyway . How did it turn out for you?

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell no, Raise all in.
You have KK
Go watch Rounders
LoL:)

Final Table - need to make 6th to advance, 7 players are remaining, I'm 3rd in chips, but the stacks are all very close except for the chip leader who as 5x the amount of chips as me.

UTG+1 is the short stack and goes all-in.
Folds around to me on the BTN, I have KK.
SB has me covered and has demonstrated a willingness to call all-ins.
BB has me covered and is very aggressive and has been going all-in frequently.

This is a SURVIVAL tournament - if I call and lose I will be the short stack with 6 big blinds. There are also 2 loose players to act behind me. Should I fold KK here?

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Qualifying Tournament

Final Table - need to make 6th to advance, 7 players are remaining, I'm 3rd in chips, but the stacks are all very close except for the chip leader who as 5x the amount of chips as me.

This is a SURVIVAL tournament - if I call and lose I will be the short stack with 6 big blinds. There are also 2 loose players to act behind me. Should I fold KK here?

From what I understand this is a qualifying tournament that awards the top 6 and is a FT with 7 players correct?

In the situations you describe I would fold to AA but if it is an MTT tournament that rewards the top 6 differently and no satellite I would pay the KK.
Hope this helps.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourneys are always about survival and running a marathon. You are convinced that the final few remaining are showing eagerness to shove constantly with average hands.

You should not be worried about min-cashing here but fighting back and going all-in yourself. If they're playing crazy, it's extremely unlikely for them to have AA in that exact spot.

Asixx014

Asixx014

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the call here. The two loose players to your left will have a wide range in the blinds so a call is good. Whether or not the blinds reshove will give you a strong idea of what they have, but you might end up pot committed to call the rest of your stack if you're covered. If they both call, you could be in trouble but on the bubble they'll most likely play tighter and fold marginal hands. Worse case scenario I think would be getting called by an AK by the blinds. You have everything QQ or worse crushed and if UTG+1 is all in, you can put them on Ax or 22+. Then if you get a caller to your left I would say it's safe to assume they you have an ace, so there could be a good chance two of the aces are spoken for, with the blind caller having a stronger kicker than UTG+1. IF the blind does call and an ace hits, check-folding down would put you in the money, albeit very short. I think there's good argument for a call or a shove to be made, but too often you'll have the opps crushed for me personally to fold. AA is a 1:220, 7 handed you'll see it once in 32 hands on average. I think it would be good to call here given the ranges of the blinds.

andi08

andi08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold in that position. I don't know what will happen with the other players after me. If I assume that many call, KK is just a good starting hand, but not any more. Everyone else could hit something higher. Preflop it would be too high a risk for me.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on how you play I always play to win so my chips are going all in there cashing is secondary

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you are only looking to advance and there are loose players, sit back, one of them will knocke the other out. Also you never mentioned how many BB you have and how often are the blinds going up. If you have less than 13 bb I would call.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play the kings properly, you cannot throw away the kings, by default it is always a plus sale, and you take a separate tournament!

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes yes depends on the position and if the villain is called you increase to 4x if he called and came a Flop

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I cant fold KK preflop at a final table either.Even i am short or big stack .

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends what the prize is it if it's a small amount of money I usually play KK.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My basic thought is you're third in chips and a loss means you finish with nothing or are crippled and looking in. Fold it and let the others play. It sounds like one of the two still to act will probably call and anyways.

If you were in 6th or 7th place then it's different but you have time so use it.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a general rule Yes - I would shove but it ultimately depends how conservative the shover has been playing. If he has been folding hands like crazy then suddenly he goes all in, I´d fold as exception. Hope this helps

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Are you do for trips with kings? You hit with queens, twos, fours, sixes, nines in recent past or something like that but not kings and trips do for you. (People hit trips a third of time.) If both conditions are right. All-in with him. If you lose its the probability they should win. Very slim.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys seem to ignore the situation. He is third in chips and when one person goes out the remaining six all win the same prize. Folding he has a 0% of not winning the tournament prize after this hand. Playing He has a ~30% chance of not winning it if no one else calls and worse than that if they do.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I had very similar situation today. $3k Lucky Blast tournament at 888 poker. I had a short stack, got KK but I folded it and barely slipped into top 600 an received my $5 ticket :)

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been in this spot a few times, either way is okay. i have called and lost in this same spot and i have called and won in this spot also, i have folded this spot and ended up blinding out and bubbling anyway. It's hard to say what the correct move is, short handed with KK i think folding is always a mistake. If there was a bigger difference in chip stacks you can maybe fold but not if its close.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm a nit but I NEVER fold KK pre-flop since I watched an episode of "Poker after Dark" where three pros are playing a cash game of $300/$600 blinds and utg has QQ and raises to $2800 2 folds and button has KK and 3bets to $8000 sb folds but bb has AA and 4bets to $18,500 QQ calls but KK folds.He is sure one of them has AA. Flop 2K6. AA went on to win a huge pot. You never know pre-flop that you shouldn't go for it...

Ill take that loss. no if i feel AA is against me am i calling in hopes of hitting a 2 outer.

To answer original question. In order to win it u must be in it. Im shoving over top and hope big stack calls. if he puts us both out i cash. even if short stack wins i still get some of big stacks chips

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill take that loss. no if i feel AA is against me am i calling in hopes of hitting a 2 outer.

To answer original question. In order to win it u must be in it. Im shoving over top and hope big stack calls. if he puts us both out i cash. even if short stack wins i still get some of big stacks chips

So you would rather play and possibly lose the tournament then let your big stack survive one of four possible players going out before you to win the ticket?

:eek:

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

you're on the button so I would x3 than the usual x2.3. I would bet to look like i just want to steal blinds and provoke a 3bet or shove from SB/BB. Easy game.

Folding in Poker