Survival Tournament - would you fold KK?

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Final Table - need to make 6th to advance, 7 players are remaining, I'm 3rd in chips, but the stacks are all very close except for the chip leader who as 5x the amount of chips as me.

UTG+1 is the short stack and goes all-in.
Folds around to me on the BTN, I have KK.
SB has me covered and has demonstrated a willingness to call all-ins.
BB has me covered and is very aggressive and has been going all-in frequently.

This is a SURVIVAL tournament - if I call and lose I will be the short stack with 6 big blinds. There are also 2 loose players to act behind me. Should I fold KK here?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how likely I think someone is going to be playing AA. With only one (short) player already in the pot and two (only) possibles to follow, I'm always going to shove this hand UNLESS I think it's pretty likely that UTG+1 has aces (I've seen that happen often enough).

These satellites have a strange way of flipping around completely when you take the 'safe' road.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
But if the 7th is already all-in, and you cover him - how the hell you could finish 7th???

I think you are save here, lol ...

(I mean if the short stack loose, of course :p)

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But if the 7th is already all-in, and you cover him - how the hell you could finish 7th???
True - the UTG+1 is not able to knock me out in this hand; however, it would cripple me so bad that I would have a high probability of going out 7th (very short stacked, unable to recover from the loss).

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on all stacks and how likely we can fold in.

If you can def just fold in, i would fold.

If you are uncertain tho, i would put this in.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting.. short stack likely has at least an ace. This is one of the few times Id fold K-K with factoring in the bubble and 2 loose players left to act. So hard to lay down...

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how likely I think someone is going to be playing AA. With only one (short) player already in the pot and two (only) possibles to follow, I'm always going to shove this hand UNLESS I think it's pretty likely that UTG+1 has aces (I've seen that happen often enough).
There is a good possibility the UTG+1 has AA. He had been VERY VERY patient, blinded off by folding in the last 3-4 orbits waiting for the all-in opportunity. I am positive he is VERY strong - range is QQ+, AQ+.

The second problem is the BB who had demonstrated a willingness to shove all-in over the top - meaning, he is absolutely capable of calling my shove because he has more chips than both of us and would have 2 shots to knock out an opponent (UTG+1 and myself) to get to the final 6.

This is a clear shove in normal circumstances; however, I'm not sure what the correct action in a survival tournament given there is a high probability (I am currently 3rd in chips) that I will make the final 6 if I make the very conservative fold.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent, thank you for your time. :) If I am ever in this situation again, I'll ask myself to answer the question "Are you sure you can you fold in to qualify? If yes... preserve the stack by folding the KK."

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never fold pre-flop this KK on a final table...
>every on the screen (a slang that Brazilian players usually use in all-in situation).

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. With the blinds being what they usually are at this stage of a tourney & with the stacks being close, this has to be a factor. There is no guaranteed winner pre flop & being overly cautious at this stage can cost you very quickly. In the final analysis, if you are afraid to lose probably shouldn't be playing.

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a game I was playing yesterday however, I was completely the upper hand I was 1st with 100K more chips than 2nd. I did KO the bubble in mine. But, to answer your question. In that situation if I know I can absolutely fold to get in I would fold that KK and let that Big stack possibly take out that 7th place guy.

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would def have to call if I can cover him...and you can only hope the one who keeps going all-in....goes all in with junk hand and then you trip up on them both :D

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
more likely than not, I would have shoved too

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd just fold it. A2 has 30% against you Ax s has 35% against you.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call it a good opportunity to redouble:icon_sile

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm calling, and hoping the 2 loose stacks call and the big stack. You are on bubble and just need someone to beat the short stack and it's over. Imagine if You fold and big stack is only call and doubles him, and you would of won. Now you are in tight race with other 5 to cash. These types of tournaments are def different. Does seen that strange things happen on bubble

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Final Table - need to make 6th to advance, 7 players are remaining, I'm 3rd in chips, but the stacks are all very close except for the chip leader who as 5x the amount of chips as me.

This is a SURVIVAL tournament - if I call and lose I will be the short stack with 6 big blinds. There are also 2 loose players to act behind me. Should I fold KK here?
No only fold kk if ace on flop sometimes kk lose preflop all in but you might be blinded out before you find a better starting hand good luck.:)
unless 6 tickets equal value then ok sit out.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realize its a survival tourney but I say create your own destiny and shove with the KK. If sb or bb call and win you still get in. I'm taking my chances here. So the real question is, Did you get in top 6?

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm a nit but I NEVER fold KK pre-flop since I watched an episode of "Poker after Dark" where three pros are playing a cash game of $300/$600 blinds and utg has QQ and raises to $2800 2 folds and button has KK and 3bets to $8000 sb folds but bb has AA and 4bets to $18,500 QQ calls but KK folds.He is sure one of them has AA. Flop 2K6. AA went on to win a huge pot. You never know pre-flop that you shouldn't go for it...

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the guy covered that went all in, I would call and see what sb and bb will do. If you get re popped, you would have to think hard and come to the conclusion that you have to call. If the guy who started the all in thing gets beat you still win right?

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is this situation i think you have to take the risk and call the all in.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I should have folded tonight to guarantee a sunday million cash kk hitting a set knocked me out a few folds away from the money.:eek:
https://www.boomplayer.com/en/28559827_F84286AF18

Folding in Poker