Late Registration in Tournaments

P

PokermodusON

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i feel the same its obvious that you dont want to late reg turbos to late but all the regular speed ones are in my opinion absolutely fine to late reg. I dont even want to reg those tournaments if i got some free spaces.

But otherwise if you are a pretty good cash game and post flop player it can be the way to go for you to play from the very start

KapitoshkaOB

KapitoshkaOB

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one would ask the question, but it's not the topic: how to get a status as many are, for example: Jack, Queens, Kings and Aces! not tell you I am very grateful :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another reason why I like late registering is because most players at the micro don't play the mid-late stages very well, especially near the bubble and it's something I can really exploit.

Ive seen such bad plays as late registering with only 5 BBs, then folding everything until the blind out. Or limp/folding with only 2.5 BBs. They over value a ton of weak hands like A6s, 10Jo, K10s, etc.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playin multiple mtts late reg and push foldin is probably more profitable than say playing for 1-2hrs during the late reg stages.

kennyh

kennyh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often late reg because I'm a pretty good short stack player and it saves me lots of time. So many times I've played for hours, made the money then gotten card dead, coolered, or sucked out on. I figure you need some luck to make a deep run, so might as well get to gambling right away. Also starting with the small stack gets me in a good aggressive mindset.

This is on Bovada, with no player tracking and pretty bad mid to late tourney play at the lower stakes.

Last edited:
Y

yjt93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I like playing when the tournament because sometimes people will still call off a huge amount of BBs with marginal hands because they think 10BB at 15/30 is only 300 chips. and then once the flop comes they have alot of reverse imply odds with bad hands like K9 while you have KQ or AK and can completely crush them if a king comes. Depending on the amount of tables i'm playing though sometimes I late register but never register later than 30BBs unless there is a huge overlay.

K

Kaosrp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of the tournament and its speed. If it's a regular speed I agree to late reg, but if it is hyper or turbo I prefer not to do it, I think is very unprofitable to you enter in a tournament with 20 blinds or less.

B

bebe_vicioso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my early poker coach sessions, the strategy consisted in only play premium hands till 25-50 round (usually the third round, between 15-40 minutes after the begining of a tournament). One day i told my coach: "With all the conditiones prior to play a hand in those levels, i prefer register and put me sit out till 25-50 level". Obviously he scolded me for more than 40 minutes. But, today i usually register at 30-45 minutes late for: I avoid the often bingo and bad beat levels, and start 25-50 or superior level with all my chips. I'm very tired to reach that level with 25, 30 or 50% of my chip lost with premium hand against people (not players) to believe that an all-in with 5-9os is a good idea.
And, it feels different when i lost all my chips in 25-50 or superior level against a big kahuna with 5-9os because he/she feels lucky, if he won a lot of spots and won me either, well, in that case he/she has reasons to pay all ins with any cards.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont like to play in tournaments with long late reg, but when it is short i play from the start and when it is long with deep stack i start to play near the end of that period

B

BravesFan62

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think long late registrations are alright, but I try to register early, myself. I think having a long late reg is fine because, as someone said earlier, you have to play a lot looser if you're joining a tourney late, and by that time the people that have registered at the beginning have enough chips to take hits from the people that need to chip up.

Fish2014

Fish2014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I don't like to register when the blinds are very high

P

PackerBell

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I don't like to register when the blinds are very high

Yeap but in late reg you can rebuy 1 time and you can take some chips so fast if you have luck :)

I

ItryhardAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is always worth starting early and trying to get premium hands (the more hands you see the better chance of getting AA, which is like 220:1 or 0.45% chance so you need to get a lot of hands. Always good to smallball JJs and such because the chance of a overcard coming up, if you have JJ it is very likely if you push (because you dont know what to do) one of QKA hits the board more often then you want to risk tournament life early on

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I DONT LIKE GIVING CHIP LEADS. starting behind for 3 or 4 levels, not the way to go leads to aggressive play to get back in the game.if u start with 2000 chips and wait out 3 or 4 levels u will find the chip leader has 10,000 chips before u reg, not good unless your a pro

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often late reg because I'm a pretty good short stack player and it saves me lots of time. So many times I've played for hours, made the money then gotten card dead, coolered, or sucked out on. I figure you need some luck to make a deep run, so might as well get to gambling right away. Also starting with the small stack gets me in a good aggressive mindset.

This is on Bovada, with no player tracking and pretty bad mid to late tourney play at the lower stakes.

i do that everywhere and agree 100% bring on the gamble

G

Gabriel Pinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hardly I start a tournament before it began, only freerolls because they have limited spaces. Already a paid tournament, I enter with late registration , but analyze some situations.
For example, in a tournament in the middle stack = 5k, SB = 100 and BB = 200, and to start a tournament you begin with 1.5k, particularly , I do not play this tournament .
In short, I analyze two situations. Middle Stack and SB/BB

pocketelf0

pocketelf0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg

I typically always skip the first 2 levels of a tourney. or if its a $109 ill always play tight and reg from the beginning :)

E

erakdues

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the table dynamic make the expand open range, and tells safes u. read the table andplay your A-Game !! gl

M

MakeUcryalot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will late register for a tourney no later than 30 mins, and never for turbos where I would have <25bbs. Its all about luck and beating variance and keeping out leaks in your gameplay.

R

rusty98

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so who prefers to late reg and who prefers to be butt in seat and start? i used to like to get there on time, but after playing some of these bigguns late reg seems to be the way to go... especially for online play .. in some of these online tourns u can late reg get big quick and next thing you know cash... ill be doing more research but was just curious
I like to register late in a tournament .Because i have found when you register late your game starts well more often or not.and it gives you momentum to move ahead.At least it happens with me. So i try to register late.

C

chubbybuddha

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Gorak low stakes I dont mind late reging but higher stakes im at the start

Sum420gt

Sum420gt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as i like to play as many hands as possible, (especially the free ones) i seem to do better when i late reg... I guess its because im too aggressive of a player and some idiot with 10 2os will call and get the flop, while people later in tournaments play more conservatively.

Puzzle

Puzzle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to begin with the start of tournament

GooD LucK