Late Registration in Tournaments

piggiepoker

piggiepoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the game. With the deep stacks you can swoop in late, wake up with a big hand, double up and find yourself in 3rd or 4th when everyone else spent 2 hours building their stacks.

R

rick tarr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me it depends on tourney payout blind lvl and how far away is the chip leader

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it will depend if you like to play really deep or not

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to start tournaments from the beginning. Of course in the beginning there are lots of fishies but you don't have to call them. I believe if you play smart than you can avoid being crashed and you have additionally the chance to collect some stack... ;-)

jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the blind level really I will later reg for only the first 3 levels after that I just missed it

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not a prof, however played poker near 1.5 year. Since that I've not winning any prizes in MTTs where made buy-in during late registration.
So as for me, I've never use it, only if I just late for 10min for my planning MTT

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read here several very different opnions but I can agree with who told that this strategy of doing L Reg or not depends on the following aspects:

1) Structure of the MTT (Turbo or Normal, Deep or Low Stack, Duration of the LReg, etc);

2) Your intention (if just finishing ITM or if achieving the FT and top positions by the end);

3) Strategy and Way (tight or loose agressive) that you normally play;

Because if you enter in the end in a MTT with 2 hours of L Reg and it has a TURBO structure with a low innitial stack and if you do the late registration only by the right end of registration period so you will have a stack much below than the average stack of the tournament but relatively close to the position to finisish ITM and taking so much time to finish ITM...

In this case it will be very hard to finish in a top position with a stack much shorter than the average and compared with the players in the top and you will depend a lot of Lucky (variation) in several hands to grow your stack to reach top positions but if you have at least some lucky and choose some good spots to go all-in and double your stack at least 1 or 2 times you can finish ITM much easily and faster than entering in the beginning...

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just experienced what I said before...I played a satelite (16 players - 2 X Shootout) of $0.10 for the MTT "The Hot $0.55" and I won the seat and it was about the end of the registration period (only 12 minutes remaining from the 1 hour 10 minutes time for late reg) and then starting with half of the average stack in a Turbo MTT in a field of more than 4000 players with 2300 remaining and paying 686 players...

So I played tight choosing the spots with good hands in position to raise 3 BBs or to go all in and after 8 minutes I had doubled my stack and went for the average of this MTT and then I continued playing tight with the intention of finishing ITM as I was very far from the top 100...

Playing in that way I have finished in 264º (5 levels ahead the last level of ITM but with small pay jumps - from $0.75 to $0.89) and unfortunaltely only 13 positions behind the place where this MTT had its first "bigger" pay jump from $0.89 to $1.22...

At least I put one more ITM in my account (I have an average of more than 27% of ITMs in MTTs with more than 2.000 players) and increased a little bit my BR just spending $0.10 and earning $0.89 in about only 1.25 hour nd also earning more VPPs, Starcoins and 1 GiveWay Ticket where I almost always win $1.00 finishing ITM....

And I had the opportunity to comprove my previous comments here Today...lol

F

Fr0Man

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play from the start, and just play super tight. Some players are way too ready to get their chips in and you just have to wait to have a great hand. If you play smart and patient you can almost always have a good chip lead on people that are buying in late, and that gives you more breathing room to call with a big hand without the chance of busting out. Even better you can use your chip lead to push around the people coming in when the blinds are getting higher and they have to pick their spots. Easier to steal blinds.

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally prefer t start from the get go in Turbos with 1 hr late reg and late rage (1 hr into the tourney with 30-50 BB) in Normals with 2 hr late reg. I saw the famous streamer Tonkaaaap doing more or less the same although there are rarely any turbos on high stakes online poker.

jomaaan

jomaaan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can late reg to save some time but when you start from the beginning the blinds are still low and you can just play very tight. Fold a lot and cash with the nuts. I think most of the time you end up with more chips if you start early.

nelo80

nelo80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer regist before start i dont like regist late , but for kos tournaments is good regist later

V

VelosoG7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends, sometimes its good for chip economy, but you can start near the last place and will have to deal with high raises and BB! Look at the type of tournament, the number of players and the amount the majority have.

max_cool20

max_cool20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early registration, when blinds are small you can play all hands
and i think in the early stages, you can win a lot of chips.

S

sponsor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
makes sense when there is a big add on

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a strategy that I've used to get some decent results. Defoe the way to go as for a better chance of cashing. Just remember it's IMPORTANT to build your stack asap as the blinds will eat your stack.

Good luck to you - from bonnie Scotland- ☺

A

AngelSky6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me late check-good but not more than an hour

6a6yJIbkO_o

6a6yJIbkO_o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like late registration, too many people have time to create, and I love tournaments with a small number of players

P

Patty Till

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Reg ir No?

It depends on the stacks and the level of experience of the field. Even if it is a large buy-in tourney, if lots of seats were given away for the event, I like to buy in somewhat late (at most 3-4 levels) to avoid a bad beat early when I flop top set and a donkey shoves his 8 high on the flop and goes runner/runner flush.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
better to start on time, because it was late registration you lose your chips quickly due to the big blind and antes

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer the late reg, especially when im about to play into a big tourney like bounty $7 , $22, $44, some micros and always on time bomb.

C

coachlary69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I will register on time, but with a few exceptions, one of them being the Micro Monday 1000.00 guaranteed one ACR. The tournament has a 5 hour late registration period, but half the time the tournament registration closes early so I start watching the number of players remaining versus the number of players who will be paid around the 22nd blind level. I have been very successful in registering late for this tournament and cashing within 10 minutes at the close of registration. However, late registration almost guarantees I will never finish on the final table due to the number of chips in play.

sofren

sofren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me late registrations is one of the bad things in online poker. In live poker ok but in online no. It is ok when she take one hour or less but when she take 2,3 or 4 hours it does not make sense. For me when she take a couple of hours its not fair for other players. For cardschat tournaments 10min its ok.

A

Ac3 Meister

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously it better to start when the tournament begins.You cand see hand by paying less chips ,because in this stage the blinds are low.So chanches of seeing more hands are greater.Just play tight.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
late registration is nice chance to take the prizes should be given only grows At least 20 big blinds