Late Registration in Tournaments

solargarlic

solargarlic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg is fine for me as long as it only goes for the first hour anything longer than that seems to be ridiculous to me. I feel it makes the game last to long and provide opportunity for lesser players to enter late and get lucky. Just my opinion for what it's worth

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess my late reg theory is only true for omaha... i registered right into the money... i will hafta pay more attention to this

lol what?! I didn't know that was even possible lol Sick freeroll :D

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Advantages to both IMO, I think it just depends on what kind of mood you're in. I like late registering because you can build chips fast and people are well into their gambling, meaning they are ready to get it in. You also get max value for your premium hands. Also since tournaments are song long, cutting 2 hours off the front end make it much faster.
That being said you may not get a premium hands if you have 12 BB's to start.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i love all of the feedback so far... i late regged into a 3.30 buy in today and got lucky came up 5th...

Attachments

• 5thpo500gtd.jpg
    5thpo500gtd.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 339
L

Lumpz72

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like late reg only if there is a good chance of there still being an overlay by the end of the late reg period.

W

wabbitfry18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is an argument for both

I prefer being there for level 1, if late registration is many hours long, I might change my mind!

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll late reg anything under $1.00. When I buyin for more than $1 I like to play the initial stages.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good point... I think as long as I have 50 bb at start I'm good

shanebob123

shanebob123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go in early and play super tight premium hands. More times than not I double or triple my stack by the time late reg is over..

C

c1g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
does anyone have any statistics to show percentages on either on time or late is better?

L

Lumpz72

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only late reg if there is an overlay. Of course those overlays quickly disappear.

I

Icebear847

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to start right when then tournament starts, you never know when lady luck will show-up. And if I get cracked early I will re-enter depending on how many BB you will have off a starting stack. But I set a limit to no more then two buy-ins for one tournament. If I get cracked twice, it's just not my day / tourney and I move on. Plus if you min cash you usually only get 2x buy-ins back, so I know I can at least break even if I cash.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to start right when then tournament starts, you never know when lady luck will show-up. And if I get cracked early I will re-enter depending on how many BB you will have off a starting stack. But I set a limit to no more then two buy-ins for one tournament. If I get cracked twice, it's just not my day / tourney and I move on. Plus if you min cash you usually only get 2x buy-ins back, so I know I can at least break even if I cash.

i like this concept icebear... ive noticed playing with the big boys some of them are rebuy bandits, but they make the money... i tend to rebuy at least once if i go out on a bad beat

P

PUNISHERR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally hate late reg i think u should start when it starts and play ur style. no matter when u come in what will happen will happen either way. If some donkey comes in late im still goina take him out sooner or later lol good luck though

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never register to a tourney late unless there is overlay and even then it may not be wise. The worst players are usually out, you'll start off with a below average chip stack and you'll be racing the clock to chip up before the blinds make you a short stack all while other players bully you to prevent playing speculative hands.

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point... I think as long as I have 50 bb at start I'm good

This is very deceptive logic.

Often times that 50 is 20 within a few orbits even if it's not a turbo (and most online mtts are turbos).

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very deceptive logic.

Often times that 50 is 20 within a few orbits even if it's not a turbo (and most online mtts are turbos).
Then adjust your play accordingly. Starting a tournament late at 50BBs or playing at the start and dropping to 50BBs still requires you to adjust. If you're comfortable started at mid stages of an MTT late reg is a viable option.

All MTTs I play now are late registrations. When/if I register depends on starting stack and blind frequency. Usually, I late reg between 20-50BBs. Sometimes less if I'm in a risky mood.

O

Onkorunkus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the tournament and how good you play different stack sizes. If you're really good at playing short stacks, it can really increase your hourly. I like to play from the beginning or late reg within the first couple of levels, but I'm a Donk.

M

monoskyx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends the size stack, speed
usually I sign up a litle after tournament start

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the view, that all depends on the tournaments factors such as:
1. Blinds
2. The number of players
3. The number of paid places
4. The value of the prizes
I recently participated in the tournament 888 poker Step to SWOP. The value of the prizes depends on the number of rebuys made. The more chips bought in addition the more prizes. I did a double rebuy and as a result got a ticket to next Step.

Out of all the answers here.
This fits my criteria as well.

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting... i am a plo8 player and i find it has become easier to late reg... beware though if i do start on time and have a monster stack i will def be itm

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cant understand late reg if your sitting infront off the screen . late reg for a freezeout are a now go for me. late reg for a rebuy is ok if u rebuy to double your chips before the addon .