Late Registration in Tournaments

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right I'm going to play my first live tournament in a couple of weeks the GPPT tour, can anyone give me the top tips for live poker like rules/what not to do guide to noobs!

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Tournament registration

At what time to register for the tournament? Before the start of the tournament, or the tournament until late registration, whichever is the better, and why?

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to register early as you have plenty of room to maneuver.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you need to be registered before you start to gain an advantage

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
definitely before because I would not give advantages

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only late register. Usually around 20+BBs, but I've as late as 10 BBs for re-entry tournaments. It really depends on the starting stack, blind structure, and how fast the blinds increase.

For re-buys, I always late reg before the break starts and get the re-buy + add-on stacks. Usually this gives me ~10 BBs to start with.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everything in poker. . . it depends. If it's super turbo you might not want to miss the beginning rounds. I've heard for the really big events like the 5 diamond you want to register early because only the sharks wait to late reg and you often end up at a table with them. Sometimes for personal reasons (work blah!) I'm running late to my local big game and I am fine with a late reg there. Personally I like to register early and have time to get settled, get my card cover out, get my headphones on, take hoodie on/off, look over the structure sheet, etc.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apart from CC events, I register late to most tourneys due to early kamikazes.

tocloc238

tocloc238

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, I like registering late because then I at least feel like I've beaten X amount of players that already busted out, lol. But, also in rebuys, because multiple players go allin at the same time with any two cards before the rebuy/addon period.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did a late register in a play money tourney some weeks ago, but wasn't paying attention to how big the blinds where and what the starting stack was.
I ended up with a 3BB stack to start in the BB.
Basically busted instantly...

But I learned my lesson there to always check the blind level and starting stack.
Glad to learn it with play money and not with real money.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I late reg almost every tournament including some turbos. Why would I want to play for pot in the 10/20bb level and win a pot of 100 chips? There's no point playing pretty much any hand until the antes so I reg the level before the antes come into play.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Registering late is O.K for those who experienced with the push/fold strategy.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Registering late is O.K for those who experienced with the push/fold strategy.

Yeah you have to expect to double up pretty quickly as your a short stack, but I hate the early levels of play 10/20bb such small pots so every decent hand decreases in value plus you'll be playing very tight and maybe loos a hundred or so chips which late reg youll have starting stack. Thats my view on it any way :)

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been building my BR by getting in during the last min of late registration. I've been playing the $1 or $2 buy-in and cashing from $5 to $18. I find if I start the game from the start time I get too impatient and push too much.:D:D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is an 8pm et game on Carbon that I like to play. I usually wait until 9:55pm to register for it as it allows late registration. If I can double up one time, that usually makes me ITM.

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the Deep ones i think it is aways better to late reg. In the turbos IMO the third level is the limit to enter with a good stack and fold equity.

N

Nik990

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like late register not only 3 hour

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind late registering for a tourney if the blinds aren't too huge and a lot of fish have already gone out. Not a big fan of bingo play, so sometimes waiting a few levels before going in is less frustrating. That being said, some tourneys have registration for something like 10 levels, and I don't like entering that late. You can get some decent fishing with small % of your stack in the mid-early levels and I often use that time to build up a decent stack.

lionking_kg

lionking_kg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what type of tournament i am playing-freeroll early or regular might register late (but not very late-10-15 minutes max), but generally i prefer to regsiter regularly before tournaments starts

sightgasm

sightgasm

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
love all these answers thanks guys!

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late registration is never more profitable than starting a tournament on time because you are missing lots of action when the blinds are low and you can get involved in more hands like speculative hands (small pairs or suited connectors like 78 or 98 on good positions.)
also as soon as the blinds increases you m ratio will be lower and starting the tournament late will make your stack not only below average but also you will become shortstack specially if you register to the tournament 1 hour or more later. so its always best for you to register to the tournament on time or at least before the 5th or 6th level of blinds in deep stack tournaments and before the 2nd or 3rd level of blinds in turbo tournaments.

I whole heartedly agree with rock. I also prefer to be in at start of tournament. Late registrants often end up having to put their tournament life on the line with only 1 or 2 orbits of play. If they don't get lucky or hit big cards, they have no time to recover.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to mention that you can always profit from an early monster.
Imagine getting AA or KK as one of the first hands when a lot of maniacs are still around (this probably is mainly for the lower stakes).
You could profit so much from that.
If you get nothing, you almost don't lose anything with those blind levels and no ante.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to mention that you can always profit from an early monster.
Imagine getting AA or KK as one of the first hands when a lot of maniacs are still around (this probably is mainly for the lower stakes).
You could profit so much from that.
If you get nothing, you almost don't lose anything with those blind levels and no ante.

Right on the money Abramo. You don't even need AA or KK. Early on you can get suited connectors or small pairs, see flop for cheap and catch a monster. Triple or quadruple up your chip stack early and be in a good position to go deep.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start at the beg. and take notes on everybody!!!! Look to play a lot of hands cheap. test people's styles.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would we want to play pre antes at a level of 10/20 when everyone has 150bb?

I reg at 30/60 te majority of the time but have late reg at the last late reg level. party poker has a starting stack of 10,000 so even late reg at the last few levels (late reg lasts 12 levels 12 mins each) I tend to cash a lot more when I late reg at these stages than playing from the beginning when everyone is ridiculously deep stacked. To me Reging before the tournament starts is a bad move.