***June SNG Thread***

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't wait to play the Ladies' Tournament with you Dakota! I have to admit, it will be my first ladies-only event and I am kind of nervous, lol! I'm so excited about the Venetian Deepstack and playing in my first wsop. :)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, how much our stack of chips is worth directly proportional to the prize pool.

We use $EV when talking about 9 man sng's,

We use Cev when talking about MTT, or heads up(anything, sng's whatever)

We use $Ev in MTT only on final table pretty much.

Handy to know the following if you want to review a hand, say in a MTT, you will now know to use Cev. etc

You made it a little more clear, yeah. Since we don't cash out our chips in a tourney the same way we do in a cash game, we need to figure out how much money our chips are really worth, which is done based on the prize pool, etc.

And yeah, for MTT's, cEV will be pretty close to $EV, so it's trivial to figure out $EV in most situations before the final table.

A6s is getting close to my bottom range, any pair, Some decent broadway, KQS etc. A6s is probably a little thin, but with reads given im fine with it. We want mostly stuff thats obviously ahead of his range, since he will be reshoving kinda light, QJs. So our range is kinda tightish here.

Okay cool. I had thought that we should adjust our steal range, based on the possibility of the 3-bet and that we would have to call it, but wasn't sure if that made sense.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HU SnG's are not the dark side because HU SnG's are not really SnGs. When you play HU, cEV = $EV, so it's a lot more similar to cash than tournaments.

Good point. So am I still allowed to post here?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Of course you are! We don't discriminate in the thread - we have had people who play turbos, standards, 9-man, multi-table, DON's - hu is welcome too.

I have some friends who are hu sng coaches at Team Moshman. We had a hu tournament over there and with about 34 people in it first round I drew the top hu sng coach who proceeded to crush me. (The only worse draw would have been Collin who wrote the book on it lol).

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you are! We don't discriminate in the thread - we have had people who play turbos, standards, 9-man, multi-table, DON's - hu is welcome too.

I have some friends who are hu sng coaches at Team Moshman. We had a hu tournament over there and with about 34 people in it first round I drew the top hu sng coach who proceeded to crush me. (The only worse draw would have been Collin who wrote the book on it lol).

I read your blog on that and found it quite amusing. However, drawing Collin would have been a lot funnier!

But still, amazing learning potential even if you lost.:)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't wait to play the Ladies' Tournament with you Dakota! I have to admit, it will be my first ladies-only event and I am kind of nervous, lol! I'm so excited about the Venetian Deepstack and playing in my first WSOP. :)

Oh cool - another girl in the monthly sng thread lol.

Yea - it will be my first ladie's only event too and I am probably 10 times as nervous as you. The field will be very tough - at least you have some mad skills to take with you!

I will probably play 1 or 2 of the other Venetian DS events as well. I haven't decided on one of the 1k WSOP events yet - it would be a large portion of what I want my bankroll to be so have to give it more thought.

Unlike the rest of you mad moshers I will probably stick to 1 tournament a day.

I predict you will be in Main Event next year. :)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Obviously. Even I post in this thread, and most of the times it's really just a variation on the "Lol donkaments, you guys should play cash" theme... :D

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read your blog on that and found it quite amusing. However, drawing Collin would have been a lot funnier!

But still, amazing learning potential even if you lost.:)

Yea - I had a handful of experienced players giving me pre-game tips since they wanted me to take him down so badly lol.

Obviously. Even I post in this thread, and most of the times it's really just a variation on the "Lol donkaments, you guys should play cash" theme... :D

Oh yea - I meant to make this point as well - we have let Belgo hang around. :p

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome Likminutz, I joined the thread last month after taking a beating in cash. We're gonna take over the joint!

Despite BS's warnings about collusion (I *have* been avoiding tables stacked heavily by people from one area), I'm still dabbling in DoN's on Stars. It's just so hard not to! My winrate is crazy nuts and not sustainable, but as long as I'm on a hot streak I can't see quitting. Hopefully when variance catches me and I start losing 4-5 in a row I'll have the discipline to quit. Played my first $52 DoN last night after taking down the CC league tourney (yay me!), and was at first intimidated by all the gold/platinum players (more than half), but surprisingly they were nitty as hell -- multi-tabling I'm sure. I doubled up on the 3rd hand and just kept piling up chips to coast easily into top 5 for the win. DoNs have become my crack poker...

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the idea of DoNs due to how easy they can be to win and multi-table. But They are so very boring. I don't think I could do them for more than a couple of days at a time. Plus, with all of the collusion and myself only having r/b on Absolute it's probably not gonna happen anyway.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahhhh... that's better... after three weeks of bloodletting.

full tilt poker Tournament Summary $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (164407146) Hold'em No Limit
Buy-In: $2 + $0.25
Buy-In Chips: 1500
27 Entries
Total Prize Pool: $54
Tournament started: 2010/06/02 23:46:28 ET
Tournament finished: 2010/06/03 1:23:58 ET
1: arahel_jazz, $21.60

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well thank you!

To be honest I wasn't all that bad at cash, but the HU STT's have been treating me well. Also the players on Cake are pretty bad so it's like having the fish all to yourself and I must admit it's fun having a "record" for wins losses.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha! Cake is like playing poker against preschoolers. As long as you can beat variance, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Literally.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, Jenny! Hope I can be an asset to the team soon!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh cool - another girl in the monthly sng thread lol.

Yea - it will be my first ladie's only event too and I am probably 10 times as nervous as you. The field will be very tough - at least you have some mad skills to take with you!

I will probably play 1 or 2 of the other Venetian DS events as well. I haven't decided on one of the 1k WSOP events yet - it would be a large portion of what I want my bankroll to be so have to give it more thought.

Unlike the rest of you mad moshers I will probably stick to 1 tournament a day.

I predict you will be in Main Event next year. :)

If we aren't both two of the best players in the ladies event, then I would be shocked! :)

If you decide to play a WSOP event, then I would highly suggest that it is one of the 1.5k and not the 1k event. The structure of the 1k is not nearly as good-- I think you are at about 40 BBs by the second level, 20 by the third. Playing these is certainly a stretch from my bankroll, but taking a shot could workout-- if not at least we get a very fun experience. I'll be in events 42, 45, 49. One idea- you could tentatively plan on playing one of the later-date ones based on how you do in your other tourneys.

Thanks for your main event prediction! I sure hope you are right, lol.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just got accepted for a coaching deal through a new coach at Team Moshman. His name is Bill Thompson and I guess Collin is giving him a few of the lower stakes SnG players to get him some experience. He posted on DTB and I PM'd him and he told me to apply. I just got my email today saying I was accepted.

I've never had a coach before and I think this is going to do me a ton of good in every aspect of SnG's. Plus, with the "introductory" rate, it's not going to kill my b/r and will give me a good idea of what to expect when I decide I might want to spend $50-100 per hour on a coach.:eek::eek::eek:

Wow - I missed this post until I saw that Katie had quoted you on it. That is very cool. I know Bill - he is a great guy. I hope you have a good coaching experience. (I am sure you will!)

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem, Dakota. Right now we're having issues with Skype. For some reason he can't hear me, but I called a few of my other Skype friends and they can all hear me. So we think it's on his end, we just don't know how to fix it. I'm figuring it's just the back side of variance that I've been running into the last couple of days. The poker gods are conspiring against me.:eek::D

amagic

amagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This day not good for me. All over cards lost all donk won with weak cards. OMG

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situation where I feel like I should be folding, but do not yet have the discipline to do so. Maybe I'm overthinking, I dunno. Thoughts?

PokerStars - $3+$0.40|15/30 NL (10 max) - Holdem - 10 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $2,835.00
UTG: $1,520.00
UTG+1: $120.00
MP: $1,590.00
MP+1: $1,400.00
MP+2: $1,680.00
LP: $1,470.00
CO: $1,470.00
Hero (BTN): $1,465.00
SB: $1,450.00

SB posts SB $15.00, BB posts BB $30.00

Pre Flop: (pot: $45.00) Hero has J:club: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls $30.00, MP+2 calls $30.00, fold, fold, Hero ???

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a situation where I feel like I should be folding, but do not yet have the discipline to do so. Maybe I'm overthinking, I dunno. Thoughts?
AJ OTB in a limped pot is pretty strong. Nobody else has indicated strength. I can see folding in EP with aggressive or deeper stacks behind, but not OTB facing limpers. Maybe if you have a maniac in the blinds or you've been stealing a lot and expect to get played back at I can see a fold. Like everything else in poker, it's situational, but generally speaking I just can't fold here.

I'd be okay with either flatting or raising 4-5x here, folding to a 3bet or a donk bet/raise on the flop. To control the pot flatting might be in order, then see what happens with the blinds or on the flop. Me being the aggro type I am, if nobody else shows strength then I usually will -- I'm probably raising here unless I have a read on one of the limpers that leads me to believe they're slowplaying (i.e. I have a decent sample on them and never seen them open limp). With the low blinds, deep stacks, and fold equity, it's just hard for me to be passive here. If you get one caller and don't hit the flop hard, cbet 1/2 pot if checked to and then give up if they play back. If both call, check the flop and see what happens. odds are you take it down preflop with a raise, or with a flop cbet.

Problem with flatting is you might get raised big by a blind and then you may have to let it go, but if so you got away cheap so it's not a huge deal at these blind levels anyway.

Me, I'm prolly raising 4x and then see what happens, if they persist I'm probably check/folding unless the board hits me hard.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$3.30 Turbo 9 man Sng

BB is superdonk playing 67/30/25, UTG is just a laggy player with 45/5/0 stats. They are both new to me and I only have around 25 hands on them both. I'm not really willing to 3bet JJ in early position, but I don't really want to toss it either (typical JJ type hand). Once it gets to the turn, I feel positive that I'm ahead, but I don't want to find out that I'm not. The only hand I'm really scared of here is 99. Or should there be more? What do you guys think?

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (7 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t1420)
BB (t2340)
UTG (t1285)
MP1 (t2535)
Hero (MP2) (t1480)
CO (t1480)
Button (t2960)

Hero's M: 24.67

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:diamond:, J:spade:
UTG bets t140, 1 fold, Hero calls t140, 3 folds, BB calls t100

Flop: (t440) 4:heart:, 4:club:, Q:heart: (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t440) 9:club: (3 players)
BB bets t120, UTG raises t240, Hero
huh.gif

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold the turn imo, I don't think we can eliminate Qx or 4x from either of their ranges since they're so loose (not to mention 99), plus it's still early. I can see where you're coming from about the 3-bet pre-flop, I just think against this villain we won't lose value by raising, we can fold out Ax/ other speculative junk from the players yet to act by 3-betting, and then as long as the flop looks good we can go ahead and shove.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping behind is ok, would be better if it was suited.. its definately a limp or fold decision, though. With two players in the pot already i suggest folding the offsuit and limping behind wiht the suited. Only problem with limping behind is that, it plays kinda tough postflop, like, you wont get action unless they have you crushed etc. and with more people in the pot, the likelyhood of it happening increases.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my main reasons for not 3betting, besides being in early position and holding JJ, is that one of the regs behind me has been known to 3bet/4bet shove behind me when I'm raising weak players. If I was holding QQ+ it's a definite 3bet. But with him back there I just wanted to see a cheap flop and then see where I stood.

And Wizzim, I think it's a rare thing to pick up suited JJ?:eek: Am I wrong?:p