How often do you check?

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check it quite often, especially when the game is approaching prizes. I monitor where I am and watch the leaders.

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually, when a reasonable number of players are missing from the position offering the payout, I start checking. In big tournaments, usually when the late registration ends, I start looking.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check is in the mail

to be honest i check less in free rolls,since the risk is not really there , i have found that being more aggressive suits me and my style of play, results of course vary .

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always leave tournament lobby on visible spot and during i play tournament checking all the time. It's really nothing strange for me.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't see the problem...

I was wondering how often you check to see how many players are left in a tournament? Or do you not check and wait till you know you're in the money? I myself find I check way too much.:confused:

I really do not see the problem with checking as often as is helpful for you.
It gives me confidence when I'm high up the list and focus/drive if I'm not.

Getting close to cashing, it is important to understand how low the short stacks are, and if you are one of those. You can also see what the average stack size is and what the top is.

It is useful to see if I have any tagged players and their standing too.

I play a number of different game types (mostly tourneys), so it is also useful to have a quick look to see how the blind structure/time, number of rebuys, re-entries and/or add-ons provided.

I do not tend to bother with the graphs as I use a HUD for that...and at this point, I'm not yet good enough to be focussing too much on the minutiae.

I haven't read all the replies/comments, so I suspect some of this will be a repeat! That said, I did see one comment which indicated this might distract you from fully focussing on the game. Whilst I understand the sentiment behind that, I do not concur. I think that sufficient focus, training/learning and strategising should start before the game itself. Your preparation should be such that you are excited, but not too nervous, and definitely not stressed out. If poker makes you stressed out, it might be time for a different pastime.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Scooopy

Scooopy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation, the check looks good, luring you into a trap, and limping is generally a sin

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check it maybe far more often than I should, probably affects my play in anegative way...

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ideal for luring the apponent into a trap.I use it in the right situation but it doesn't always work

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check constantly, do not know why as it should not matter who is still playing. What matters is that I am still playing

J

Jutt315

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
??

I check only when the river hits a bad crad for me, same w the turn

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always check at the start of the tourney to see where the money or ticket payout cutoff is. If it's a re-buy I check during the tourney till the re-buy period ends to see if the cutoff has changed. If I last long enough I start checking often and even keep track of my standing as we reach the payoff cutoff. I find it motivating and informative to keep track of where I stand in comparison to the other players remaining. More information is a good thing.

Bibigon

Bibigon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How often you`re take a breath ?

By my opinion - everyone player (not poker player, but all of who play something) must to control as much factor`s of the game as possible.
Because every small one thing in game can turn around the game to the other side, by every one second.
Simply, player must to have all "weapon`s" for the game in his hands. If that`s poker player - he must to have at least 2 monitor`s: in 1st - he play, in 2nd - opened lobby show him all additional info (who`s leading now, who & where short now, and etc.)
So, keep your eye`s opened all time & be smart one..

Mityamoriss

Mityamoriss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check all the time ,especially on the flop

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also check that very often. But that's also important, because depending on which you have to play looser or tighter. If you have a medium stack then I wouldn't take too much risk before the prize money. Fold yourself into the prize money before you unnecessarily risk your entire stack in a marginal situation and then end up with nothing. If you are a big stack you can of course attack the middle stacks before the prize money. They will have to fold a lot because they don't want to risk losing to a big stack.

P

peo237

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends how the game is going. If big stacked then not a lot but if small stacked then want to know my position to determine what risks I need to take to reach the bubble.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Checking is an important part in playing the game, I check some times when I miss the flop, but I could also check when I hit the nuts, you do not want to scare the fish away by betting with a monster hand,
Position in a hand is a fantastic opportunity to make these moves and make the most of a hand, If I am on the button and have hit the flop big style, I am not going to bet if everyone at the table checks, I will check and hope they catch up a little on the turn to make a bet. then I may decide to re-raise or just call a bet depending on hand strength, and how many are still in the hand.
I once hit Quads on the flop with a small pocket pair and went once around the table checking until an Ace hit the turn, and then we had a bet from the SB a raise from the Hi-Jack and I called then the SB re-raised and I was loving it.
Even if they were both playing AK or similar, Even if one had a pocket pair of Aces, I could not be beaten, so I went along with their raising and re-raising, knowing the pot was mine.
I will admit that every hand can fail on the river, even Quads but when the river drops another brick, and you know you are safe then is the time to start hoping for an all-in bet.
It is always fun knowing before the showdown you have it in the bag.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mainly play micro limit Omaha and very rarely check. If I am going to play before the flop I raise because I do not want players limping in with rubbish and out-flopping my hand.

I remember a top professional saying he looked for a good reason to bet and if he couldn't find it he would fold, I try to do the same.

I used to limp all the time but have forced myself to be more aggressive and it works, in micro Omaha it does, for me anyway.

B

blun777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check way too much too
I'm trying to do it less and only focus on it when there are less than 50 players before the bubble

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
From SB and BB a little, but from other positions almost never. I don't like this action.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends, if you are happy just to get paid, you will be checking a lot with good hands, but if you are in it to win it, you must bet those hands to get to the final table.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking at the right moment can give you a lot more chips then betting. I like to check against good players because is hard for them to accept losing the hand and most of time they are bluffing.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I check a lot, especially after a long time has passed.
And when the bubble is close to bursting, I check it all the time.

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I check depending on the amount of chips I have, if I don't have many I check how many are left, but if I have many chips I still check but without obsessing like when I have few chips left, it is normal to check how many are missing for itm, so much strategies apply, especially those who have many chips, they begin to put more pressure