How often do you check?

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of playing poker I would check a lot, but currently I only look to see if there are known players left.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was wondering how often you check to see how many players are left in a tournament?
Constantly. If the tourney is live I check the television screens, and online I check the lobby. I don't think that it helps me or hinders me, it is probably just my natural curiosity. :)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very rare. I prefer agressive style, not neitral. Maybe only on river to check raise.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, I don't worry about checking. I check when the tournament is halfway through. Before the bubble also to not make wrong decisions. Once at the ITM, I check more often until I reach the final table. I believe that most players do this. As much as some may say the opposite.

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check often I like to slow play maybe that's why I suck.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that I usually check about an hour into the tournament to see where things are at and then I don't think about it any longer and just focus on playing :)

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check close to bubble and a few places before the final table.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check that quite often too. But I check also other tournament information so players left is only one thing. Thankfully partypoker (which is a place I play a lot) made it extremely easy to read this info.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how often you check to see how many players are left in a tournament? Or do you not check and wait till you know you're in the money? I myself find I check way too much.:confused:
I check constantly. I usually have the tourney lobby open on another screen and check the players, my stack comparing to average, and even sometimes check (when possible) other players stack sizes over time, to see if they are "climbing" just lost a big pot and maybe tilting, if they bet often, or playing solid preflop, etc...

girts87

girts87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im checking position often, and other tables action 3-4 tables , if im playing only one tournoment ..

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the sites show your position and players left at the hud so I tend to look at it once in a while. I have a bad habit of comparing myself to the field too much and reflecting that to my decisions when not in the bubble.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't play without knowing how many players playing or left. I'm obsessed with this.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I often look, it is shown in the upper right corner and I try to stay not lower than the middle position

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-money-bubble I never look at the standings, why would I?

On the money bubble, if I'm short-stacked I constantly check the leaderboard because that is critical information for my decision-making .

And also, if I'm one of the big-stacked chip leaders near the bubble, I'm also constantly checking the leaderboard because now I want to be applying maximum pressure to the shorter stacks at my table and so I have to know where those players stand in order to anticipate what they might do against me.

Once we're in the money, its not important to check the leaderboard, but I often check it anyways just to see how much profit I've earned so far. There's no reason to do this, I basically only do it because I'm bored with folding and because it makes me feel good to realize I made another cash. :)

tl;dr: the only time I consider it important to check the leaderboards is at the money bubble, all other times its merely for curiosity and out of boredom.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I check if its necessary or to trap ;)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check the leaderboard when it comes closer to the money. There have been a few times where I busted close to the money. Those instances hurt.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is usefull for me to check the lobby, you can find many infomations there which can make your game so much easier.
Sometimes my mind likes to travel away from poker as well, these times I usually realize that I checking too much the lobby or listening songs too enthusiastic, but a glass of water or the break will be helpful. :)

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a crazy thing, I practically check it from hand to hand and it really disturbs my game, sometimes I close this information, but then I open it again to see how many are left ... a habit that disturbs me a lot!

Hhahah... This is exactly what I do, and these are the very words I would use to describe the same situation. I'm still laughing ... :) :) :)

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before, I tried to do as little as possible or at least every hour at rest, I also checked my position to see how well I was doing, sometimes the best thing is not to know it and to concentrate on playing well nothing else. What I have noticed recently, the poker stars software is now constantly showing you your position and I do not like that, I feel that it adds more pressure when playing, before this option could be hidden, now even if you hide it, he just reopens as if to force you to be aware of how the rest of the tables are going and that is an extra pressure for any player.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check fairly often. My position with respect to the money may determine how aggressively or passively I play.