How often do you check?

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how often you check to see how many players are left in a tournament? Or do you not check and wait till you know you're in the money? I myself find I check way too much.:confused:

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check all the time.I dont ever deposit very much,so i rely on free rolls and small buy ins to keep playing.I check way to much lol

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always after it comes x2 from the money, it's important to know it

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I am checking lobby of tournament constantly just to be sure what is going on. It is my way trying to avoid any mistakes close to ITM and do not be a bubble boy.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how often you check to see how many players are left in a tournament? Or do you not check and wait till you know you're in the money? I myself find I check way too much.:confused:

this is a crazy thing, I practically check it from hand to hand and it really disturbs my game, sometimes I close this information, but then I open it again to see how many are left ... a habit that disturbs me a lot!

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check, when i close to de money, and try ti play in consecuense

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I check but rarely. Usually this information interests me when the game is approaching its final stage, the final table. If I had been to the final tables more often, I would have checked this information more often.
Good luck.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's okay to check once in a while although not checking at all can also work meaning you are 100% focus on the play and nothing else and next thing you know it you're in the final tables. I think you are asking this question because you check too much and yes that can be a problem because you are not worrying about playing poker 100%. It's also a good idea to check at times like when about to be the bubble, you don't want to bluff around that time since you risk loosing chips. Also if you are in a satellite that only top place players qualify and you have massive chip lead near the bubble, no need to play any hand even AA. since you are guarantee a spot no matter what.

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am checking them all the time , because want to know my position and stack .

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

During the break, I check. Then I check to make it to the prizes. I try not to crash. I entered the prizes, then I start playing more actively, taking more risks and bluffing.

Z

zeist2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check too much i think. Maybe i should take more risks, i plan to do this in my next tournaments so watch out :)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check often until the bubble and at the beginning of the tourney i do some magic tricks haha :D

smart question anyway, im sure anyone got his moves that dosent fully admit it here :D

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do it more often near bubble phases , especially at the ITM bubble phase. After this stage of the tournament I don't care about the pay jumps , I try to run deeper and if possible make a FT. Almost all the poker rooms provide you with this information , your rank compared to the field.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the bubble period, I check players more often, but also towards the end of the tournament when we approach the final table.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I like to keep the lobby open so I can see a few things
1) How many players are left
2) When the blinds increase
3) How short the short stacks are
4) How many double ups I would need to take the chip lead

It's not so that I can check these things constantly, but it's helpful for when I have major decisions. Deciding when to gamble vs when to pass on a spot has a lot to do with what your position will be in the tournament if that gamble goes your way

That being said, usually it is more about the exact chip stacks that it is about payjumps. Other than the initial bubble and the final few tables the pay jumps are usually pretty small relative to the buyin for the event. If they mean a lot then you're probably playing a bit to big in terms of your buyin level.

The one time I will check how close a payjump is, is when I know I'm likely to be all in. If there's only 1 or 2 players left til the payjump then I will play more slowly and try to outlast them before committing my chips. It's a small amount of money sure, but those add up over the long run.

I learned about this from Mike Wasserman in his great program "Small Edges, Big Profit"

https://pokermarket.net/collections/alex-fitzgerald-mike-wasserman/products/small-edges-big-profit

I'm grateful for his teachings, they definitely helped me make A LOT more money playing MTTs.

P.S. If that course looks of interest I would suggest holding off until Xmas. Usually pokermarket does some pretty sweet sales around that time! :icon_thum

B

BiGBa40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tooo much �� If i play 2 mtts, the loby is open just above the table ��

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wel i check on pauses, and close to bubble..

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I simply cannot relate to anyone saying checking too much.

I always have the tournament lobby open and readily visible (if not multi-tabling) and it is always set to the last player who has exited to precise where I am at any given point. There is much to learn from the early exits if you play some tournaments with a regular set of players. You will soon start to see who enters and plays overly aggressively and exits quickly on a regular basis.

I follow all the stats which are directly at hand....my position, average stack, chip leader, field size left. Why would you not? It takes a second to glance and digest all the stats which in turn helps you make better informed decisions.

Those who are in tune with the field size are much quicker to adapt their bubble play if they realize other tables with low stacks are slowing their play already. There is nothing worse than getting dragged into a pot with a marginal hand to lose, exit the tourney and then see lower stacks still managed to cash.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same here, It is up in the corner of the screen and I watch it constantly. I have to stop because I believe it is effecting my game way too much, in a negative way.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly play at unibet and there you have a small window in your table :

it tells you your position vs number of players
avg stack, biggest and smallest stack
how many player have to be out before getting ITM

I always keep an eye on this and it determines my play in the middle-late section of the MTT (close to the ITM) depending on my own stacksize
When shortstack --> try to get ITM
bigstack --> try to push others as most of them are not willing to take risk before they are ITM
eg when 25 players left and the first 20 are ITM most of the player on position 11-20 will only play monsterhands and often fold.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes... At each interval, more often :)

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, whenever I'm not sure and I have a good hand, I know it's not good, but I don't try to make it a predictable situation.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have a second window open that updates the number of players in real-time.