How to avoid bad luck in tournament poker?

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid bad luck in tournaments? I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap. But is there really anything else? I always hear that it's better to be lucky then good, but I believe it's better to be skilled and not unlucky.
Personally, I don't know the recipe . :dontknow:

A

alex trinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i can never avoid bad luck. Its just whether or not I get bad luck more often or good luck more often

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do not need to avoid luck ( either good or bad ) you need to select your hands and your bets taking into consideration that there is always a probability for loosing. Sizing your bet will help you gather information on your villains and help you make better decisions. Still you are going to loose some, so be prepared. But in the other side you are going to hit the river and take the pot every now and then.

GL

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to avoid bad luck I think would be impossible or just don't play that day might do it.

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it's luck but it depends a lot on the skill of the player. Luck as well as skill is key. I believe there are two

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the actual question , I'm trying to find out about the quality of the game in multi-table tournaments

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
now try your Sina with tournaments poker school! but so far not very successfully, I hope in this forum to find something useful

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid bad luck in tournaments? I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap. But is there really anything else? I always hear that it's better to be lucky then good, but I believe it's better to be skilled and not unlucky.

I think you need to understand what 'luck' is before you try to pose this question. ;)

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
"You don't always win, but every time you lose, you get better".

Have a wonderful day.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Alas, from failures nobody is insured . :dontknow:

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of what people confuse as bad luck could just be putting yourself in a bad situation. Quick example, its the bubble, and the chip leader raises your small blind from the button, you've A2 off, flop comes AQQ, board blanks out. He's all in on the river and for whatever reason you call, he shows you Q4 off and you're out of the tourney with no money. Yes you had a better starting hand, but I could argue that you never should have been in the first place. If chip leader has Ax in his range, at best you're hoping for a chop. There are plenty of situation where A2 is a call but that particular instance, no. My point being that if you give yourself the best opportunity to win, you can help yourself against "bad luck"

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great question!! I wish i knew the answer to that one!! my advice would be to avoid all in pots with 3 or more people and when pushing all in only do it with the top 5 hands. No going all in with 88 99 etc. play tight and aggressive on the bubble peroid of the tournament and only play the top 5% of hands.

Kavaleits

Kavaleits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, improving your poker knowledge you can avoid situations, which beginners don't avoid.
Learning from mistakes, analyzing your poker game.
It's imposible to avoid fully bad luck! XD

Last edited:
K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I have never been able to "avoid bad luck" 🙂. As a matter of fact I have often felt that if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all!

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold every faking hand mate.. I guaranted,bad luck No more.....!!!! jk. I mean No one safe from bad luck in poker.. just try to not lost to many chips.. maybe. good luck

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
There is definitely also a luck factor.
For e.g. when you win with 88 vs aa and hit your trips, cuz you saw that the guy was a loose cannon and raised everything all-in.

It also has a lot to make with observing your opponents. Try to get a read on them for e.g. the guy on your right always start playing with his chips when he has a strong hand etc.
So paying attention to the table is very good.(live tournaments)

At the other hand you have online gaming:
Here you have to observe bet-sizing and speed of betting.
It's also very helpful to make notes and put labels around certain players so you know who to avoid and who to call a little looser.

Hope this helps a bit...

K

karkachi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all analyzing your competitors is essential

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If in fact you are one that believes in luck at poker. Then the only advise I have is to play you cards hard. Don't be sitting there with big cards and just min raise or limp in hopes to get to build the pot.Playing this way (I learned early on) is a great way to let a donk or casual player to out draw you in the long run.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I agree with you it is better to be skilled than to be lucky, since if we play to luck we will only be lucky one or two times from there for nothing nothing guarantees that we will win before our rival, it is better to have the situation of the table controlled and Be aware of the other players.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I knew that I would be millionaire :D You obviously cant avoid bad luck in poker. What you can do, is to avoid getting yourself into though spots by avoiding open limping with strong hands or slowplaying strong hands postflop on wet boards for example.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't avoid bad luck in poker, you just have to roll with it and not let it affect your game.

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every time you say the same but I want to win more zippers
I have in myself two jacks on the table out jack I wait but must sign in with everything and finally make five bought for me turnura plikluchi

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
To play more . To do the analysis . And hopes for good luck ! :D

N

Njomba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

you need luck to win games and tourtnaments for sure, but if u dont risk it you will never win big money and you wont win any tourtnaments. it's very intresting to stay away from some hands and just look at other players risking it with those allins and all of that