How to avoid bad luck in tournament poker?

andyt5303

andyt5303

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no avoiding variance, it's always creeping behind you waiting to steal your chips.

I

illind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play with instinct and obviously don't play bad hands. Avoid pre-flop all ins.

L

litaana

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you cant avoid bad luck , sometimes its just meant to be

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you said bad timing?

Maybe its the correct word. Dont go anytime anywhere in the pot. Position position position is the key.

Matanzima

Matanzima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Running away from bads is difficult!

I advise something that can slow down, do not end .... Do not play bounty / knockout tournaments (in which the players play with poor hands)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid bad luck in tournaments? I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap. But is there really anything else? I always hear that it's better to be lucky then good, but I believe it's better to be skilled and not unlucky.
More i play more i think that there are 90% skill and 10% luck in poker!and by the definition lucknis something unpredictable but good for u.and skill is not only theory and character etc. but feelings and sixth sence...that is our aim.go on...

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad-beats or just lots of bad luck happens with everyone, whether you are - master or a beginner, from this no one is immune. All you need is to be sured in your own game and your desicions and remembered that after black line always comes white. As for tournaments bad luck, just play more of them, analyzing your mistakes and improving your game.

B

bartleby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can not avoid bad luck but you can improve the way you handle it. And distinguish between bad-beats that happen because you had bad luck or because you misplayed the hand on an earlier street -> and learn from it.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way is to not play poker, bad luck or variance is a part of the game.

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad luck and good luck just exist both.its up to you how to handle!!!!

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad luck or good luck happens to all professional players or beginners, being able to lose a hand on a river or turn is usual, the variance can affect you, my advice is to play firmly and with decision, minimize the risks so that the variance Do not affect you

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't control luck.. But you can start to see it even out with volume. Poker is all about long term results, if you play correctly over a big volume you will see your 'luck' and 'unlucky' even out.

L

ludomaniaco24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since a few weeks I do not get one is incredible but it seems to look like they are cheating me I do not win a hand

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny question. :D
Why? Simply because there are obviously no chance to avoid bad luck. If you have a bad poker day, then no matter what you do, you will be loosing. The only thing you can do with that, hold yourself from tilting, being less aggressive and pay less for non-nuts hands. Or even better realize your "bad luck earlier" and just close your poker room and do something else. Better than loosing the whole tho.

And by the way, this is just a good reasonable way of playing poker. Has nothing to do with avoiding bad luck. Obviously you should isolate your opponent with a premium pairs. Cause even Aces are standing pretty suck in a multipot. And surely you should not let your opponents with a draw hand see next card cheap. They should pay and better worse price, as their chances. Every time you do proper bet size and your opponent call it, you are making +EV and he -EV on a distance, no matter if they accomplish their flush or straight at the end of the hand. And this kind of thinking you should get used to if you want to be profitable player. Also you shouldn't care much if you made a right moves, but your opponent got lucky at the end, although he made several mistakes. It can happen and you loose money at that moment, but you shouldn't feeling bad, because if you keep doing right decisions, on a long distance it will pay you out. Your opponents can't be lucky too often.

interestingly, and most importantly the right idea, I completely agree, I usually do

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no way how to avoid bad luck, but you can minimalize the chcance of being victim of the bad luck, such as: play TAG strategy, be patient and selective with starting hands, get rid of emotions in the game and try to avoid to get poker personaly.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also like to avoid that but i think its not possible especially on pokerstars where i have bad luck every day many times

A

alex trinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no way to do it. I've lost AA, KK, QQ plenty of times to weak hands

G

Gustavo Shurato

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny question. :D
Why? Simply because there are obviously no chance to avoid bad luck. If you have a bad poker day, then no matter what you do, you will be loosing. The only thing you can do with that, hold yourself from tilting, being less aggressive and pay less for non-nuts hands. Or even better realize your "bad luck earlier" and just close your poker room and do something else. Better than loosing the whole tho.

And by the way, this is just a good reasonable way of playing poker. Has nothing to do with avoiding bad luck. Obviously you should isolate your opponent with a premium pairs. Cause even Aces are standing pretty suck in a multipot. And surely you should not let your opponents with a draw hand see next card cheap. They should pay and better worse price, as their chances. Every time you do proper bet size and your opponent call it, you are making +EV and he -EV on a distance, no matter if they accomplish their flush or straight at the end of the hand. And this kind of thinking you should get used to if you want to be profitable player. Also you shouldn't care much if you made a right moves, but your opponent got lucky at the end, although he made several mistakes. It can happen and you loose money at that moment, but you shouldn't feeling bad, because if you keep doing right decisions, on a long distance it will pay you out. Your opponents can't be lucky too often.

Great comment, i agree 100%, in ling terms it'll pay you

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker,as in any other game there is always an element of luck and good you have not played the setbacks cannot be ruled out completely...And to completely eliminate failures need not play at all

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To avoid failures in tournaments, you need to play more number of tournaments but with fewer people.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is not to fall into tilt, always be in a good mood, play for fun. There are no victories without defeats)

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is very variant, if bad luck catch you keep control, do not get annoyed with a bad beat. Keep calm and continue the game. If you're on tilt, quit the game for a moment, relax and then come back. If you continue to give up and come back the other day. So I do

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoiding bad luck is like avoiding rain, but you can do things like bring a rain coat, or tightening your range and being more positionally aware.