How to avoid bad luck in tournament poker?

J

Just_a_Tom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid bad luck in tournaments? I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap. But is there really anything else? I always hear that it's better to be lucky then good, but I believe it's better to be skilled and not unlucky.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's funny question. :D
Why? Simply because there are obviously no chance to avoid bad luck. If you have a bad poker day, then no matter what you do, you will be loosing. The only thing you can do with that, hold yourself from tilting, being less aggressive and pay less for non-nuts hands. Or even better realize your "bad luck earlier" and just close your poker room and do something else. Better than loosing the whole tho.
Just_a_Tom said:
I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap.
And by the way, this is just a good reasonable way of playing poker. Has nothing to do with avoiding bad luck. Obviously you should isolate your opponent with a premium pairs. Cause even Aces are standing pretty suck in a multipot. And surely you should not let your opponents with a draw hand see next card cheap. They should pay and better worse price, as their chances. Every time you do proper bet size and your opponent call it, you are making +EV and he -EV on a distance, no matter if they accomplish their flush or straight at the end of the hand. And this kind of thinking you should get used to if you want to be profitable player. Also you shouldn't care much if you made a right moves, but your opponent got lucky at the end, although he made several mistakes. It can happen and you loose money at that moment, but you shouldn't feeling bad, because if you keep doing right decisions, on a long distance it will pay you out. Your opponents can't be lucky too often.

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I chuckled when I read the OP. Not to make fun but I think a lot about avoiding luck too. I believe every tourney player thinks this too. I don't know about you but you have to just take it in and embrace the luck element of Poker. Every winning player will tell you that if it weren't for luck, they wouldn't be in their spot without it.

Now with that said, combine skill with luck is what can be difficult for every poker player. It is what makes poker what it is. It's us playing one another with "luck" involved and how we play one another with luck in the mix of the game. That is the very heart of the game.

Mentally, you want to be the better player that can withstand the luck of the game to make it to the end. It's not about getting busted with the best hand knowing some donk just called my jam with K4o against my AKs and a pair of 4's hit the flop and river.

What I say at this is if it wasn't luck involved or what we call variance, then we wouldn't be playing poker to be honest. There would be no fun in it.

I often say to myself. Find your edge in variance. I play 8 other players, what is my edge at this table? Embrace the variance. Own it and play through it.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's funny question. :D
Why? Simply because there are obviously no chance to avoid bad luck. If you have a bad poker day, then no matter what you do, you will be loosing. The only thing you can do with that, hold yourself from tilting, being less aggressive and pay less for non-nuts hands. Or even better realize your "bad luck earlier" and just close your poker room and do something else. Better than loosing the whole tho.

And by the way, this is just a good reasonable way of playing poker. Has nothing to do with avoiding bad luck. Obviously you should isolate your opponent with a premium pairs. Cause even Aces are standing pretty suck in a multipot. And surely you should not let your opponents with a draw hand see next card cheap. They should pay and better worse price, as their chances. Every time you do proper bet size and your opponent call it, you are making +EV and he -EV on a distance, no matter if they accomplish their flush or straight at the end of the hand. And this kind of thinking you should get used to if you want to be profitable player. Also you shouldn't care much if you made a right moves, but your opponent got lucky at the end, although he made several mistakes. It can happen and you loose money at that moment, but you shouldn't feeling bad, because if you keep doing right decisions, on a long distance it will pay you out. Your opponents can't be lucky too often.

Exactly this, there is no way to avoid the "luck" factor, it's just variance. No matter how you play it will always be there. It's basically like rolling a dice, 5 out of 6 times you don't roll 1. Even tho those are good odds, it will mean that 1 out of 6 times you WILL roll 1 (in the long run).

Best thing to do, just accept that every now and then it won't work out (maybe even more often than you think) and be happy with the good play ^^

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no luck in poker, haven't you heard? It's all "variance"

C

CearaPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact, I do not call it luck, but many and many times opponents come into the pot with marginal hands, for example an A7o, which is a hand that is often lost in the after-flop, because you end up flopping an A in the Most of the time either the villain has 2 pairs or has an A with a stronger Kiker, so this is not a "lucky" factor, but a poorly played hand, when entering pots with these hands that is for blef, and always, Always covers from its discretion the adequate value of each action.

Now you from AA, KK, QQ, AKs and even JJ end up losing to weaker hands this is considered variance, the correct one before you start a bet is you already have a plan of what to do certain situation happens.

The secret is always to have a plan that is more profitable in the long run!

GL....

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need both skill and luck especially in those large field mtts. Play a solid game but at some points you will need luck to win a couple coinflips to make it to the money and even more so the final table. So Gl :)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid bad luck in tournaments? I know one try to raise pre-flop to avoid family pots with premium starting hands, and never let a fish draw for cheap. But is there really anything else? I always hear that it's better to be lucky then good, but I believe it's better to be skilled and not unlucky.
There are no pills from bad luck buddy))Just build your game and go on.I know the right decision is to play more,for e.g. you play 4 events online and on first your aa crushed and on second you double up and go further.That is how to go deeper and at the end you ll play one event but in bubble or better -on final table!!![emoji4]

pashkawell

pashkawell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Failures can not be avoided. Poker is an unpredictable game. You should try to avoid mistakes.It will increase your chances of winning.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well there is really no way to fully evade bad luck in poker, when poker inherently involves luck, especially tournaments.

But I think the best way to try to is to avoid calling all-ins preflop around bubble time against low stacks for a coin flip and keep pots at reasonable prices so you are not committed to it should someone get lucky on you.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every tournament has bad luck.
You can't avoid it, can only reduce lose. Don't all-in at preflop is one way.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From failures nobody is insured,no matter how well you played.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a lot of tournaments and don't worry about bad beats - embrace them since you got your chips in good. Do this a lot and you will eventually win heaps. :D

Good luck to you!

boomboxcafe23

boomboxcafe23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn from watching others at your table who isnt afraid to lose their buyin, they wont be afraid to call your bluffs. Also figure out the fish so you can try to make your stack from them. Avoid bad beats by analyzing all possible outcomes.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need both skill and luck especially in those large field mtts. Play a solid game but at some points you will need luck to win a couple coinflips to make it to the money and even more so the final table. So Gl :)
You are very right there. You need luck at MTTs more than anywhere else at poker. Simply because they are running for a long time and you can't avoid the cooler moments and then you have to be a favorite or winning pair of coin flips. And you have to loose a lot of tournaments before you get at final table. That's why we have pretty conservative bankroll management for such kind of poker. 100buy-ins, instead of 35, as it is for STT. Have to keep that in mind, playing in every MTT your best poker and hoping you will have some luck to make it this time to the FT. :cool:

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Running bad can take many forms. You can constantly get your money in with a two pair against a flush draw and lose. You can constantly run your KK into AA. Or you can experience the secret kind of run bad where you flop a set against QQ, but the turn card is a King and now QQ doesn’t pay you off. The thing you have to remember is that this is what you signed up for!

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me , I think that luck is very important thing during any poker tournament but the other thing is that "luck' goes to only one person during one tournament and it is not always you are that lucky person!!!!! And one more thing , I think that "luck" loves good experienced poker player!!!!

B

BreakTheBeard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't altogether avoid it, but if you feel that you're the better player, try to play smaller pots and don't flip.

N

Narcizzist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you knew how to completely avoid bad luck then you'd be the best poker player who ever lived by some margin.

It's not possible. You just have to try to cope with it better than anyone else.

J

jwlaw35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all you can do is try to read the board get to know the players and try to figure through betting where you are in a hand. There are a lot of draw hands that can catch and you just have to get in with the best of it and hope you are the one getting lucky

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main mistakes in poker, without which you can avoid bad luck:
1. Playing too many hands.
2. The pursuit of the best combination.
3. Wrong bet size.
4. The influence of emotions on the game.
5. The game is out of position.
6. Too much bluff.
I think that about half of the cases, when a person plays poker - he was not lucky. Just need to play quality poker.

psmcb

psmcb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think

A well-known fact that in poker you need luck , of course, but more important that knowing how and where to apply his strength. Where better to bluff , and where need to fold card.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get it in good and hope for the best. There is not to many ways to avoid bad luck. Takes a long time of playing to shake of a bad streak. Just make the best decisions u can and don't play loose and get pot commited

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no luck in poker but instead it's called variance. The ups and down swings that people and players go through. It happens to everyone at some point.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only true way to avoid 'bad luck' in MTTs is to not play.

If you don't play, there is no chance of 'bad luck' happening to you.