How to avoid bad luck in tournament poker?

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online poker for money, a successful player can expect to win in 60-70% of gaming sessions. Even in the case of a maximum of 70%, you will still lose in three out of ten sessions. And since the situations do not repeat in the maps, losing sessions will not always be distributed evenly, alternating with long periods of wins. You can lose for five or six consecutive sessions, and sometimes - several weeks or months. The reason for this may be a bad game, bad luck (known in poker as a "variance") or both. Such periods are called a series of failures. Strips of failure sooner or later come in the life of each player. If your band of failures drags on, it's important to know how to get out of it and keep self-confidence.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no way to avoid bad luck on poker tournaments. only on the long run if you make the best decisions you are going to run deep and win money and even though skill is an important factor, you cannot control luck and there is no way to win a tournament if you dont have some luck.

E

earthling11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Get lUcky

And stay lucky,,,, that what my dad taught me!!!. you can go all in with the best hand get get burnt..... that guy who just beat your pocket AA. got lucky.! hell win if he keeps crushing hands that are better then his!:joyman:

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will not run away from failures. They will always be like death.
But in poker there's a way to avoid failure. Into it just doesn't play it.
On learn from mistakes.

Last edited:
S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how to avoid it I just do not see how this will happen
if we know when we die will dig their own grave
what do you think?

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you will never know , and you can't run away from bad luck , and bad beats , because simply some people do crazy things that you never expect to happen especially at micro buy-ins , just play your game tight-agressive , at least you will minimize your loosing spots

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
theres always bad beats in poker no matter how well you play..

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats and suckouts are a necessary part of the game and they are very much a good thing. Have a laugh about it, pay your tax, and move on to the next hand.

Claude Chiasson

Claude Chiasson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a question of bad or good luck, somethimes it's more a question of which hand that i can drop instead of playing it. That what i do and my play is better.

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By definition, it is impossible to change your luck. Your only option is to play smart and not let bad outcomes affect your game - Its not easy but you should always feel good knowing you made the smart play despite the outcome

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always wonder the same question as well, to me there isn't anyway to avoid bad luck.

You bet thinking to protect your hand but your opponent call the bet and end getting beat anyway

You check to invest as little as possible but still get beat

That's poker

M

mstefanos666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't avoid being unlucky, just play your good hands without fear and if you lose remember that it's in the game..

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is an excellent question and everyone probably has their own concept of how to put luck out of the equation (as much as possible) I would say avoid all ins when you can, because they are mostly coin flips. Even if you did get bad beated and you still have some chips, dont let the tilt get to you, play calm and try to win those chips back playing premium hands. bluff every now and then when the tourney is on the bubble phase because players tend to be very tight at this stage. Poker is a game of skill and luck and when it comes down to it you need SOME luck to win and place in tournaments.

Foliano

Foliano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Success is not luck. What is the point of arguing that everyone has his own understanding of the word "luck". Why just maximally non-exclude the factor of luck from your game. Do not play those hands in which there is no certainty and that's all. And when all the same you get into the distribution, be assured of the 100% that will win.

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just dont play the MTT's :D :D :D MTT's are full of variance so you should be very lucky to win them

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
visualize the flops turns and rivers going your way patiently and be aware of opponents betting patterns

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's variance and is unavoidable to a certain extent. Play solid poker and it washes out in the long run. We all have been sucked out on by runner runner or rivered and we all have sucked out ourselves.

A

Azay79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's like dance on the blade, you must to feel a that facet)

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's where I think many players go wrong. Artificially inflating the pot with a hand that can easily be beaten on future streets is very high variant poker. Its difficult to handle the swings. (You must have a big bankroll to roll this way)

I say instead, play smart. Small ball is a good strat. If your gut says you're beaten, fold! I too have fallen into the trap of calling, just to see their cards. DONT DO THIS!! 10% of the time you are going to get bluffed (so you bluff catch) 90% of the time you are crushed and are Mr/Mrs chip donor. Learn to fold when you should and your game will improve immensely!
Just my 2c

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From failure, no one is immune. You can to some extent reduce the percentage of lost tournaments, your ability to play. But you can not absolutely get rid of losing. And luck without the ability to play dummy.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me bad luck is bad beat in just one day I lose 3 MTT with good tree pairs KK twice and QQ and my decision was going to do anything and no play more that day. Maybe I made some mistake playing those cards, but the emotions and the angry was not a good combination in that moment. Take your time and start again.

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is not to go with the emotions in falling in tilt, In this state, the thinking could not adequately work, and logic gives way to abstract thinking, which is not considered a good helper in poker. Plays so that you opponent could not read you

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to turn bad luck into a game strategy, then it will depend on your abilities and studies.

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant avoid it. Just close your poker softwares and go for a walk, then get back and start playing again. If the bad luck still with you, just go to netflix and get back to poker in the next day.

S

Spungey2007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe in bad luck with poker hands, Most of it comes from the table you are at and how aggressive those players tend to be. Most of the time, I fold on hands that I might have a decent shot at winning, but since there are already 1-2 all in's i'm not willing to bet my tourney life on a chance with these said players