How Approach Playing a Late Registration Entry Game?

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never make late registration purposefully. Can be only one justification for late registration: you really delay for the tournament you want take part.

As for me, late registration (1-2 hours) invented by poker rooms personally because of bigger earning money from growing number of players.

I didn't know any good player who use strategy of late registration to win and be profit.

But I can fault, so it will be very interesting to read posts below.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind registering late for deep stack tourneys with at least 12 minute blind levels (preferably 15). My goal is to have at least 15 BBs when I register so I won't feel like I have to automatically go into shove mode. I do not like to register late for turbo tourneys.

I signed up for an ACR tourney last night at about the four-hour mark, and within 30 minutes had doubled up twice to 40,000 chips (starting stack was 10,000). So it can be done, but you have to be confident in your short-stack play.

ACR has been offering five-hour late registration windows, which seems just a little excessive to me.

I actually wrote a couple of blog posts about Late Registration last month. Check them out here:

To late Reg or not to late reg
To late Reg or not to late reg, II

Justin Buchanan's take (spoiler alert: he hates it)

S

suricato35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind registering late for deep stack tourneys with at least 12 minute blind levels (preferably 15). My goal is to have at least 15 BBs when I register so I won't feel like I have to automatically go into shove mode. I do not like to register late for turbo tourneys.

I signed up for an ACR tourney last night at about the four-hour mark, and within 30 minutes had doubled up twice to 40,000 chips (starting stack was 10,000). So it can be done, but you have to be confident in your short-stack play.

ACR has been offering five-hour late registration windows, which seems just a little excessive to me.

I actually wrote a couple of blog posts about Late Registration last month. Check them out here:

To late Reg or not to late reg
To late Reg or not to late reg, II

Justin Buchanan's take (spoiler alert: he hates it)

Yea, I agree with you about ACR! I think they have the larger late reg windows... I played a freeroll there today, the prize pool was 99 players, those who late reg at the last level were entering around 110th position (the total entrants were more than 600) which was a little ridiculous to me :p

N

num1dan1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg seems to drag out the the game more than it should

C

charls8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think half hour of late registracion is enough, but you re right, i don like those TT that have late registrcion until level 18 or 24. i think this is too much, and because of that we found some strategy's like bingo poker....

T

theevildub

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if a tournament pays the top 100 people, and there are 120 people left, with 5 min of late registration remaining ... im singing up. i dont care what anyone says.

Also, these 20 level late reg tournaments on ACR are crazy. thats a looooong tournament. id jump in around lvl 17 and still be ITM.

Slavuy

Slavuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't prefer late registration. I feel like that is put pressure on my game and feel
uncomfortable.

R

roots10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to go early, with the smallest blind, you can see more flops

B

bronc_busted

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on structure of tournament if it is a deep stack not to bad. Your better off being there ftom the beginning. Me personally I will not register after first 2 blinds.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone :D

I'd like to purpose a little discussion here.

What do u think about late registration in tourneys?
Until what point is still acceptable to do late reg?
It's better to late reg or it is just better to register before the tourney starts?

I'd focus more on low stakes tourneys, but y'all can keep the discussion on higher stakes also!

I never enter larger BI tournaments late for all the reasons listed below. But I do because of the structure benefiting a tighter early game with at a minimum 20 minute levels.

But

I often enter games with lower BI's very late or dead last in the tournament shown below and here is my personal reasoning.

I believe success in these games require a blend somewhere between the early tight required in longer games and the aggressiveness called for in faster games.

Often the problem is I don't know if Im facing a tight player who has me dominated or an uber aggressive donk who is just stealing beyond all reasonable position based steals.

So my solution is:

I enter late and count on players knowing I'm a very late entry so they label me as an uber aggressive donk and I play that against them. I find it a very effective way to instantly establish a reputation that can be taken advantage of. Its actually not hard to double up fairly quickly.

If Im starting out with 15BBs or so, I have a few loops to catch a premium holding and play it aggressively, b4 I loose all fold equity, which is Always undervalued. So as long as the stars are aligned for that first double up, Im at tournament average and am on my way.

Another benefit to this strategy is I don't waste 2 1/2-3 hours getting to that same point only to be busted.

The game of poker doesn't really start for me anyway until the 10th level or so anyway.

Now this only will work if you have a massive ego and supreme confidence in your post flop game as I obviously do.

GL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 10.54.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 10.54.05 AM.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
krasikrisi

krasikrisi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to register at the end of late registration as by this time nearly all fish fly,and you can play more calmly.but sometimes earlier registration has its advantages - to know opponents

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play since the beginning, you don't need to depend on lucky as if you get in when the bb is high and you have few hands to make money.
But sometimes, when the tournament started 10 or 20 min ago, i still play because bb is not so high.

B

BiraJr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant see any benefit doing de late registration.
In my opinion its better play the begining, so than you can read your oponents.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no point in playing a normal structured MTT before the blinds. Pots are small and every one plays tight so why wastes blinds for hands your not going to get much action from.

I prefer to Late reg in as the blinds come in and players start opening up. The average stack will still be around the starting stack from all the late regs.

If I play a turbo structure I might late reg in a few blinds before.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me its better to register before the beginning

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love to use late reg on 1.1 or 2.2$ tour in last seconds were i start with 3000stack on blinds 300/600 or 250/500 and in few hand im on 15-20k or im busted :)

Alexeyss

Alexeyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If already more than a half hour has gone, I'd pass.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like late registration. I am very well play with shortstack.

S

steelwheel92

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lucked out with late registration triple ups and wins when I first started playing online..but have recently learner that this is not the norm so playing from the beginning is best.

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing live I definitely prefer to get there early and get a seat and get comfortable and scope things out. It is frustrating, like someone mentioned above, when someone arrives really late and has the same amount of chips as I do, however, but that's just poker. For online tournaments, I don't mind a bit of late registration so long as the blinds aren't too high and I have about 20 BB to work with. I know the fish are out there in the beginning and you can double/triple up quickly but I really just don't like the All-In or Fold coin toss beginnings to the online tournaments. I've had Aces cracked all too often by some genius pushing all in with 95o.

fuxzao

fuxzao

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournaments

T

ThanJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play late registration tourneys especially if they are rebuy and addon tourney's because you have a lot of people who don't understand how to play these tourney's differently and they can get more chips into play for me without being willing to rebuy. It forces them to make tough decisions for all their chips with marginal hands, which means more chips for me!

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer playing from the start for most games.

trezvennick

trezvennick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Register earlier or later depends on what kind of tournaments I playing-If this tournament with rebuys and addons I preffer very late registration by two reasons:1st on all rebuy period players playing allin with any garbage hand. 2nd in the end of late registration you are no so far from addon, addon usually gives you quite comfortable stack! If I playing tournament with a simple structure(no rebuys/addons) I usually registering in the beggining so I have more time for gathering information about players!

Top 10 Games