How Approach Playing a Late Registration Entry Game?

S

suricato35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Reg

Hello everyone :D

I'd like to purpose a little discussion here.

What do u think about late registration in tourneys?
Until what point is still acceptable to do late reg?
It's better to late reg or it is just better to register before the tourney starts?

I'd focus more on low stakes tourneys, but y'all can keep the discussion on higher stakes also!

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournaments for you already know your opponents and read as they play

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to enter the tournament and at the beginning to already be able to study opponents and already know what they do in each hand, if I get already at the end of the late registration I'll be short with the high blinds and without knowing any of my opponents.

F

fooks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to register at the end of late registration as by this time nearly all fish fly,and you can play more calmly

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By entering late, with the higher blinds and antes, you are forced to act quicker before you actually have a decent hand. It becomes somewhat of a flip tournament. I would prefer to start at the beginning, especially when playing live. It gives you time to get to know your opponents, and maybe pick up some free blinds and antes from registered players who come late.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the sooner you can register the better. I think the more hands you can play, the more value you get.

I prefer to register at the end of late registration as by this time nearly all fish fly,and you can play more calmly
So you'd rather play against better players than against fish? :eek:

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me there is no advantage for late registration. Only worth it if the starting chips are still close to the average of the tournament and you really want to play it.

There are people who think that there is advantage to enter a tournament when half the players are already eliminated. In fact the fish have all been eaten, and you will have to play short stack with the best ones. Not a wise decision...

L

Lying So Low

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trying to play from beginning. Like to open many hands while blinds are small

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on starting stack and blind structure, I think late reg can sometimes be a playable option.

I personally enjoyed late registering when I played online.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't remember when I played from the start of the tournament))

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How will you play with calm? The tournament at the end of late registration, because the blinds will be high and you will enter the short stack table :thumpdown

Pirlouit

Pirlouit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to reg early for the similar reasons as many others here, but for me it also gives a calm feeling to the whole tournament when I play compared to stumbling in a bit late feeling rushed/stressed out not really knowing the pace or quality at the table.

Early reg = more zen ;-)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How will you play with calm? The tournament at the end of late registration, because the blinds will be high and you will enter the short stack table :thumpdown
depending on starting stack and blind structure, you can enter late reg with 25-40+ BBs. If you're comfortable playing these stack sizes and can adjust your strategy accordingly, you can potentially do fine.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play from the start, but if I can't make the start of a tournament I'm happy to late reg for 20bb or more

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on starting stack and blind structure, you can enter late reg with 25-40+ BBs. If you're comfortable playing these stack sizes and can adjust your strategy accordingly, you can potentially do fine.

It definitely helps your hourly in slower structure MTTs :)

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

For you it can be. I respect your opinion. :)
I prefer to play from the beginning for information on my opponents and see the way they play. :D

Ljuk358

Ljuk358

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate late reg...I feel bad when someone joined to tournament, when I play that tournament 2 hours and we have similar number of chips...

MasterTur

MasterTur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate late reg...I feel bad when someone joined to tournament, when I play that tournament 2 hours and we have similar number of chips...

But if you are playing until the start of tournament, and a person just late reg. after 2 hours, you should has a lot more chips than this guy.

I don't like late reg. when I play live I always begin the tournament in the start, one because i don't know the players of the club, and two because i like to sit there, analyse everyone, what they are doing, what they are playing, what they body language, fell the place.
I think all this amke part of the tournament. Don't really like late reg. because you will be with low stack, in a situation the blinds are great, and you will have trouble because you are with 10-20BB maximum.

BUT!! Sometimes in the Online i do late reg. One tournament that i many times make late reg 1hour is (The Big 55cents) (Yes my bankroll in the pokerstars are poor, i'm trying to make a Bankroll, with no deposit, already has 20dolars, at least i'm trying to do what i play this mounth, wanna end with 50dolars this mounth), and everytime i play late reg. on The big i always go in the ITM, and get at least 1,5 -2dolars plus the buy-in.

N

nyolcas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically I do not like the late regs , but sometimes I do. When I check the actual players and taking in consideration their stacks, the prizes, the registration fee, the blinds sometimes looks payable to do a late reg. From my point of view it's better to register at the start o the tournament because you have more possibilites to check your opponents and to see more flops cheap because of minimal blinds.

S

suricato35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with almost everything that have been said here.
I just consider late reg when analysing all these: medium size stack, blinds and possibilities of getting ITM.

but specially in freerolls or rly low buy ins, sometimes is less stressful to register a little later, to escape of the crazy shove every hand :p

6a6yJIbkO_o

6a6yJIbkO_o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like late registration, I prefer tournaments or without late registration or little time for late registration.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like registering at the last possible minute ,because, even though the blinds are a little bigger, the players play a little more careful and not so loose. I don't like coinflips early, so I try to register when the hyper aggresive players are already out.

S

StorkBoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration I only use for satellites. First look at the buy-in and if it's worth risking this amount. Another thing I'll wait to see how many tickets will be shared, and third look at how many chips a last place which get a ticket have. Then consider how orbit can I make with starting stacks and if see my chance then I come in and wait for the hands to move in. If you pass the first round of the move then I look at the situation in order to increase the stack, whether once to pish in or to start betting.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only registered late for free tourneys.

Top 10 Games