How Approach Playing a Late Registration Entry Game?

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early registration is key. If you join late you already face an uphill battle as other players stacks are bigger and as are the blinds

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early registration is key. If you join late you already face an uphill battle as other players stacks are bigger and as are the blinds
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb

Thank you, Miley Cyrus, for my new late registration theme song.

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe in always registering before antes kick in or I think you are losing a significant amount of EV . I think that you can register any time pre ante and have a good amount of EV in the tournament still as a good player . However the later you register the better chance of some bad players busting before you have any chance at getting their stacks. One of the biggest edges in mtt poker is the fact you play deep stacked with bad players early on and are able to acquire much needed chips for later in the game .

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you start on time you can win double just on the first hand and so on, early chip lead is key in winning tourneys

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried the late registration but it seems there is added pressure, possibly bc more often than not, the chip leader will call most of the raises. Although, I find as the game continues, more register than get eliminated, assuming one gets to the end of late registration stage.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late registration is not bad,when you up your chip,less player is on table,and more chanse to be in prizes......

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like late reg but i only do it when the blinds are still relatively small and with the starting stack i will be quite deep.

jscales

jscales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ever dreadful "it Depends" answer

I know it is never really helpful to say it depends as an answer to a question but in this case it truly does depend. If you typically play super tight then you need to play from the beginning. A late reg style needs to be a little more willing to get stacks in, as there will be others at your table that have big stacks and are willing to put those stacks at risk... after all that is how they got them. However, picking your spots in the early stages of a tournament can slowly build your stack.

All of that said, and this is where the "it depends" part comes in, if you are comfortable finding the spot you are comfortable with and playing for stacks then late reg is definitely less time consuming. You can play for hours in the early stages and it will be a lot of folding.

Roman Romanov

Roman Romanov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In late registration has both pluses and minuses. On the plus side I carry what you need to play a more and more intense, as the stack compared to the opponent has relatively small, and should gain chips. Well about saving time, I did not say.

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It is best to buy in on start off tournament...why donks bother you?? Ok in one tournament you can go out, but better 8 donks than 8 goofmd players...they are the chance to built your stack early in tournament..

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play from the beginning - hey that's what we are here for.

Late entry players certainly avoid the pitfalls of idiot all in players but then can't take advantage of them either. They know they come in at a disadvantage but have to have faith in their playing ability to make ground from midfield. These players have to be noted and watched because they will be expected to up the bids the first chance they have with anything reasonable

G

Gump877

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually look at how far away from the money I am and how much I need to get into the money. It can be pretty profitable strategy for skilled players in some of the re-entry tourneys. That's one the main reasons I don't like some of the re-entrys, Just because the sleeze balls that come in at the last minute and time bank it, being really disrespectful to the rest of players, to try and squeeze in the money. Used to be a big problem on Merge but I stoped playing there, not such a problem on other sites because they have a steeper pay out structure's then merge was using.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends of the structure of the game.

I prefer late register to play online, but in general is better play tournaments from the beginning. :cool:

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late regs you need to win fast to stay ahead of the already increasing blinds, your chip stack should ideally be 20x the BB

R

roman sevastyanov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late check is bad , some have already gained a lot of chips .

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i myself am not a fan of late regging -i like to regg befor start of game-i think your missing some easy chip ups if your dealt a great hand,and by regging early i might get to see the pots cheaper if im set mining-i think late regging only adds pressure to chip up right away

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't know how to approach playing in tournaments that offer 2 or 3 hours of late registration.I was just playing in one of the freerolls in the Freebuy Series at Winning Poker Network and the software literally moved me from table to table at least 4 times in the first 12 minutes of the tournament and after that I got eliminated.

D

dfrahe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer no rebuy tournaments and always eye average stack of the tournament in order to register.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes on bcp or acr,,, in small buy in like 5 or 3 dolar,,, i will late reg last sec for fun late at nite lol..........u get one dble up and u almost to the moeny already,,,, has happend to me before;) but if u really serious bout the game, is defo better to reg earlier,,,,

Top 10 Games