Do you feel like you're getting better or worse at poker as time passes?

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Getting better every game played. Won my first CC tournament this week. 💪

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very simple, if i study i get better and if i quit studying for longer periods of time i get worse

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am getting better, i dont get trapped as often and i am making better decisions

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play for 23 years, and I have already analyzed your question a few times, in the beginning we played for fun, we took risks and we are more aggressive, over the years we became more analytical and aware, we tried to play less risk and more safety, and there is also the factor of the day and the ups and downs . make a constant analysis of your plays and the tournaments, and you will see a certain change

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yes I feel I am getting better. I ty to identify leaks in my game and correct them and then move on the next big leak.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Any of us has a good mood and self-esteem increases with the successful completion of the tournament. And in the same way, the mood drops and self-esteem decreases with an unsuccessful draw. It is ok. I treat successes and failures philosophically. Moving along a sine wave is more interesting than moving in a straight line.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I feel I've improved, I've made progress, but I'm still getting really excited and making mistakes from before, what I've been doing is writing down in which position I fell and what the mistake was.. and I've set goals for me to achieve move on.
It has worked lol

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since i started learning from mistakes and analyzing myself i surely got better then before. Thats why i love freerolls because it gives an opportunity to learn from mistakes and increase some skills.

S

SirChris88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would personally say my play has gone slighty worse, probably cause I treat it less seriously and only play for fun these days.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make more mistakes on certain calls that I should be folding, I find I use to be so tight at poker. I also find myself much looser at poker as the years have went on, but I also find I have won more tournaments this way. But I am a believer in starting a bankroll from freerolls, I did put money into poker and lost it. I have seem to make more money from freerolls. You have to work harder to do that , it seems more rewarding to make it from freerolling. So I haven't got worse I have just gotten looser.

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
I make more mistakes on certain calls that I should be folding, I find I use to be so tight at poker. I also find myself much looser at poker as the years have went on, but I also find I have won more tournaments this way. But I am a believer in starting a bankroll from freerolls, I did put money into poker and lost it. I have seem to make more money from freerolls. You have to work harder to do that , it seems more rewarding to make it from freerolling. So I haven't got worse I have just gotten looser.

How do freerolls work for you since i always lose even if i play to my best capacity?

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have played since 2008-2009, if I analyze how I played from that date until today 2022, I think that I have improved a lot, I have not had very outstanding results, but I have improved, although there are moments like right now that it seems that I am just starting in poker, but I think sometimes it's a bad phase or a bad moment that lasts for a while

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The better that I get makes me realize more that I don't know. I'm somewhere between "I don't know that I don't know" and "I know that I know". I think that you call that "I know that I don't know."

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well i'm sure that im better than when i started . aprox 1 year ago but i believe you always should pay attention to that so im starting now to keep records of that information so i can see it in the future. One thing that is important is how much are you playing .. i've heard that something around 2 k tournaments is already reliable to make some read

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it gets better and better because of my graphics, but not as good as I would like, I think I still have a lot to learn ahead

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have played since 2008-2009, if I analyze how I played from that date until today 2022, I think that I have improved a lot, I have not had very outstanding results, but I have improved, although there are moments like right now that it seems that I am just starting in poker, but I think sometimes it's a bad phase or a bad moment that lasts for a while

I can sure identify with this ^

The better that I get makes me realize more that I don't know. I'm somewhere between "I don't know that I don't know" and "I know that I know". I think that you call that "I know that I don't know."

Yes. Years ago I thought I was quite good at poker. Now, millions of hands later... I believe I kinda suck at poker.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel I'm gettimg more knowledge however it doesn't always turn into results I've been on a losing streak in live tournaments lately, I was on a good run before covid making a couple final tables and a 3rd place. So I feel like I may be getting worse or more impatient so I need to fix that as we have another series coming up next month

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the more we play, the better we get in the game and the more good results we accumulate.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you're studying like you said and playing poker constantly there's no way you're getting worse, maybe it can just be a bad run, that unfortunately can last months. In my case, I think I'm getting better, at least in the poker mentality. I learned how to follow a bankroll management and that changed everything in my game.

L

Laddys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes play out of habit, but this is what I noticed: when MTT tournaments, I get tired of sitting in the game for a long time and become more and more indifferent to what the final will be for me... More and more often I start to bet all-in in order to play "roulette" - either mine and I continue to play - or not mine, and then I calmly leave so as not to torture myself with the continuation of the game .... Previously, I played completely differently and the goal was precisely the final table, but now there is some kind of indifference .... probably , I'm just growing up... after all, playing poker is already a secondary thing in my life (and Thank God)....

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both at times. Studying routinely gets difficult. Sometimes I feel Im going backwards. When I focus and really stay in the game I do well. I have a hard time staying focused on freerolls and smaller bankroll building games lately. I think I might take a short break and refocus and change my studying around.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes better and worse in the same session!!

This is one of the reason many poker pros admit to using a "mindset" coach. Once you pass the basic fundamental stage of poker, your mental attitude begins to play a bigger part in your game.

Make 2 reasonable bluffs and villain snaps you off on both, suddenly your mind tells you all kinds of things. Your confidence falters, and suddenly you don't want to pull the trigger on plays you should make or you just become more wild and play out of control.

The trick is to be able to see the big picture, don't become emotional, and remain calm. All of these things are easier said than done

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
i completely agree with this statement
20 years ago the level of players you played with was much lower!!! And they had much less opportunities to learn than now !!! Now there is a lot of different material for learning poker including videos and various programs .So I think the average level of the player has become higher, or more precisely, there are fewer bad players.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely feel like I'm getting better with every tournament I play, every mistake I make. Just like the motto, if you burn yourself once on the stove top, you won't touch it a second time.

If I had the feeling that I can't learn from my mistakes and that I'm getting worse and worse, I probably wouldn't play anymore because my focus is on reaching more and more final tables.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the average player nowadays has much better skills than 15 years ago, because nowadays you can easily improve your knowledge via internet, tutorials, streams, etc.