Do you feel like you're getting better or worse at poker as time passes?

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what to say, I'm not a bad player, but my game is like a rollercoaster.Then I go up, then I go down and so on all the time.In connection with this, I can not answer how I play, everything is in the hands of luck)))

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

The truth is, that the more I learn, the less I feel I know. Though I have greatly improved, there are times that I feel that I won more when I knew less. In other words, winning hug pots by making plays I would now consider unplayable.

Blamegame7

Blamegame7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for about the same amount of time. I felt a dip in my game when I actually became "better"
Adapting is the biggest part of the game though. No matter how good you are or how much you research, you won't win them all. Each table and player is different. I find that "when in Rome..." helps me more than not sometimes. My goal is to not necessarily win tournaments. I'm shooting for a cashout spot every time.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The most I play the better I become, and thats why I continue playing. The experience gathering makes you better player. It is natural and logic. Now if this does not happen to you, it might means that you are not concentrated in the game and your targets.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For Better or Worse

I feel I have gotten better at playing over the years

but my greatest issue at the table
is self-discipline

Often, when I know I should fold a hand,
I will stay in and get beat, depleting my bankroll
and all too often, costing me the lead and/or the game

But I'm working on it

TC

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of luck in the game. Gus Hansen said winning is 90% luck. So let’s analyse that statement. That leaves a skill percentage of just 10%. So even if you do improve (or more importantly ‘think’ you improve) you are not getting much of an edge. Once you know the basics there are no huge margins to play with. You can play the stronger hand consecutively 3,4 or 5 times and lose each time. This negates any perceived skill level you may think you have.

M

Minakshi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I am stuck somewhere in between. Neither improving nor deteriorating

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Long Time

Hi, I've been playing poker for around 15 years and have had some scattered success along the way as I'm sure you all have. I am noticing that the amount of times I win a tournament in say during a month or years time has been steadily declining during my 15 years. This really does a number on my head. I say to my self I'm practicing more and more but getting worse and worse results. So from strictly a results based analysis, I was better at poker when I started than I am now after having a lot of practice. Tell me what you think. Does any of this make sense in your poker adventure?

I fully understand where you are coming from, I starting playing Poker (Dealer's Choice) at a young age and have played regularly on line and live for about 15 years. I too have noticed a decline in my stats, obviously todays players are more attuned to Math as well as using software helpers and HUDs. Those of us from the Old School rely primarily upon player tendencies, position and of course cards. and this I guess is not a positive defence to the new players and their software...playing by the seat of the pants is still fun just not as profitable:):):)

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I'm probably better but sometime worse

791a791

791a791

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

I feel like I'm playing less and less

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t even have an unambiguous answer to this question. There are periods when I feel like a strong player, but it also happens that after losing I notice how stupid I played the hand, for example:eek:

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel I have gotten better at playing over the years

but my greatest issue at the table
is self-discipline

Often, when I know I should fold a hand,
I will stay in and get beat, depleting my bankroll
and all too often, costing me the lead and/or the game

But I'm working on it

TC
Yes, I completely agree with you. Understanding the game does not mean following these rules.:cool:

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do think my game has improved...whether it's through learning theory, analyzing my played hands, or simply gaining experience in the game and at the tables.....all of which have improved me... .I just fear and know that I can and should continue to learn and improve a lot 😉

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it seems that placing in the money, in multi table tourneys is a good yard stick to measure against to see if your game holds up, to see if your improving. I find it impressive when watching live pros, and the details of their cashes in tourneys are shown or talked about. We all know, we don’t always get cards or luck. Some are very impressive.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
every year that passes my game in poker is improving, before I was a tremendous novice, and every year I am learning many things about poker, and I think that if I compare my beginnings and now we have a big difference, in terms of results, I have always done better when I started to study the game a lot, now I'm doing well, hopefully I will continue to reap good results.

N

Natehammer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your different strategy for early to late game play

I find myself stuck playing the same style the hole tournament should I change my game play threw out the tournament

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I find myself stuck playing the same style the hole tournament should I change my game play threw out the tournament

Hi! Looks like you wanted to start a new thread, but you can only do that on the main menu. The category where you hit the button 'Post New Thread' decides where your own, separate thread will be placed afterwards.

G

Genep66

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn’t say that I’m playing better but definitely smarter.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I've been playing poker for around 15 years and have had some scattered success along the way as I'm sure you all have. I am noticing that the amount of times I win a tournament in say during a month or years time has been steadily declining during my 15 years. This really does a number on my head. I say to my self I'm practicing more and more but getting worse and worse results. So from strictly a results based analysis, I was better at poker when I started than I am now after having a lot of practice. Tell me what you think. Does any of this make sense in your poker adventure?

It's really hard to win freerolls, i think the play styles change by the buy-in amount.
I feel playing poker with like 6-20$ buyin is more like playing poker.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stopped playing for years and I see that the top of the pile in poker has gotten really better. And I got this impression by using the internet and seeing what folks are doing and how they think about the games/situations and even a lot of the rec players that I see here with their feedback on the message board have really surprised me with some of their responses to situations but when I play the freerolls either on the site or in the CardsChat sponored ones, they're basically the same type of players from years and years ago who weren't so good with a few exceptions, lol. And what I mean with a "few exceptions" are folks that know starting hands, know tourn structure, can read a flop and can get away from certain hands etc so they're actually decent if not good.

And yeah, I know this comes off as condescending and arrogant, but really, "How many times do I have to see someone go all in with Ax in the beginning of a tourn with 50-100BBs!!!! Or they miss the board with AK, AQ go all in again with an absurd amount of BBs on the flop or turn and get called with someone holding top pair with a good kicker or better!!! or etc etc lol.

As for whether someone is getting better or worse, I mean, you shouldn't judge your play based on results. Let me type that again!!! You shouldn't judge your play by your end results.

You should be using a spreadsheet or a program like poker tracker or a paid service like Advanced Poker Trainer or Poker Snowie to actually keep track of how well you play actual situations, positions and hands. So the first thing I would advise you to do is to find an accurate and dependable way to measure your play and not to go by how much you won/lost playing at a cash game or your placing in a tourn.

The second thing you need is find out what the ideal statistics are and try to get there. Like there are stats of a certain percentage of hands you should be playing preflop or how much you should be defending your blinds, what are the normal stats for winning or losing at certain positions and compare your stats to those to see where you are, how many times are you cbetting or 4 betting someone and you need to know what the ideal amount of times you should be doing things like that.

So find out how to measure your play, find out what those results should be when compared to an "ideal" player and then work on getting there so you know exactly where you are on becoming a better player and working on actual measurable results.

Last edited:
lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing too often at the same level. Time to mix things up.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
every year that passes I feel that I am learning and improving a lot in my game, and that is the most important thing, as for the results I have always done very well, but we must always focus on improving our game and have solid and winning strategies, and for sure the results will come by themselves, to continue throwing desire and hard work.

M

Minakshi

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I was improving in the initial stages but now I think my progress has stagnated .
I need to somehow unearth my next level

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Depending on what day you ask me, I'd probably give you a different answer.

What I will say is that 15 years ago, the fields were WAAAAYYY softer than today. Poker was riding the crest of a wave in the late 00's with lots of rec's and not a lot of reg's and pros. The literature and training wasn't out there and most people had no idea how to really play.

Today, a lot of the whales have either improved or stopped playing and even the weakest players have some semblance on an understanding of the game. So you have to play a much more fundamentally sound strategy, just to be able to compete.

How often do you play and what so of sized fields do you normally play?

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learn to analyze first.Short distance results If you've played less than 20k cash hands or less than 1k MTT tournaments, the results will say almost nothing about your level. Such a distance can be considered the minimum for at least intermediate results. More serious conclusions about the level of skill can be drawn after 100k hands or 5k tournaments, but they will not be final, especially in MTTs. Therefore, you should not be too happy or upset about the results of 500 hands. Better focus on the quality of your hands.