Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

O

okiepokerplayer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how to react to a table that only plays all in ... does that only happen in free tournaments?:confused:

I know this is Ryan's thread, but I have what I think is a good answer for this question. First answer is, yes this happens predominantly in micro stakes and freeroll tournaments. The second part to the answer would be to be patient, narrow your range a bit, and call when you have a premium hand. If it gets to a point where its happening so often, and you've just been folding to the point where your less than 20-25 BB, then you'll need to then expand your range a bit and start calling more often.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!

Hello! please tell me, how do you configure the bet buttons and preflop and postflop? and why exactly are these values ​​good in current poker trends? preflop I open 2.20bb / 5.50bb / pot / max.postflop 33% / 43% / 66% / 130% tell me how you set up and why exactly? thanks)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan,

Been hearing a lot lately about GTO. First question is, are there any resources to learn more about GTO, and what is your opinion on the subject.
My site is 1 of the easier ways to start learning GTO and how to apply it.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding Top Pair

OK, so I played in a $300 buying live tournament yesterday. Started off playing my game, built an above average stack, but then fell victim to calling large bets and convincing myself they were bluffs or not as good as my top pair. I KNOW that pairs suck, but yet I paid these guys (str and flush) off. Why do I do what I know is wrong?

Am I just wrapped around the axle? In reading hands, I know it is possible for a solid player to be trapping OR to be bluffing. How do I reconcile not knowing this answer. I ran both hands through Pio solver for my turn and river play, and the answer was to call 66%. So I don’t feel like I played horrible, but still, my chips are gone.

Is there a better way to answer this question, I feel like I am merely guessing now? The only reason I felt it could be a bluff was that they were good players. I didn’t actually have any proof that they had bluffed at all. So given this information, I just guessed wrong. And even if they had bluffed previously, it would only have set up a strong value bet.

My problem is, can I afford to fold top pair to pressure every time? Do i write this off as variance and move on, or do I have bigger problem?

A

Andrey007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Ryan. How many tournaments do regulars play per day? Which poker rooms are the best choice for a permanent base? Is it worth playing in tournaments where many players play?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, so I played in a $300 buying live tournament yesterday. Started off playing my game, built an above average stack, but then fell victim to calling large bets and convincing myself they were bluffs or not as good as my top pair. I KNOW that pairs suck, but yet I paid these guys (str and flush) off. Why do I do what I know is wrong?

Am I just wrapped around the axle? In reading hands, I know it is possible for a solid player to be trapping OR to be bluffing. How do I reconcile not knowing this answer. I ran both hands through Pio solver for my turn and river play, and the answer was to call 66%. So I don’t feel like I played horrible, but still, my chips are gone.

Is there a better way to answer this question, I feel like I am merely guessing now? The only reason I felt it could be a bluff was that they were good players. I didn’t actually have any proof that they had bluffed at all. So given this information, I just guessed wrong. And even if they had bluffed previously, it would only have set up a strong value bet.

My problem is, can I afford to fold top pair to pressure every time? Do i write this off as variance and move on, or do I have bigger problem?
The way this question is phrased shows a lack of foundation for your game.

My suggestion: Join some training sites and get some recent books (within last 5 years) and start studying!

A foundation to think about how to frame scenarios will help you out immensely.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan. How many tournaments do regulars play per day? Which poker rooms are the best choice for a permanent base? Is it worth playing in tournaments where many players play?
Online: 5k+ a year.

Live: 100+ a year.

Best areas for permanent base: Vegas, South Florida, LA.

D

dbenderc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan. How new players can start play tournaments?

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan,

I have a question about when we have only 20 BB or less. I know that the general acceptance is aiming to double up.

What would you do if you have strong hand, let's say QQ. Will you raise with a hope that some mediocre hand will call and wait post flop to All-in? Or shove preflop?

I'm asking this because when we shove in, most of the times (not statistically proven) I only got to steal the blinds.

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ryan,

My question is, with a certain amount of luck in the game, how do you know that you are starting to get good? In my mind making money doesn’t always indicate skill either. Maybe consistently in the money in tournaments?

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan,

How would you recommend to continue playing if you're in early stage of the game when you managed to have a good stack size (10th place out of 2000 Players), but you know that there is still some time until Tournament Ends and sizes are increasing steadily (Hyper-Turbo)? Play tight and wait until you have very strong Hands (TT+, AJ+)? My fear is that, the longer you wait until "getting back to the game", the more blinds you are loosing, the more chances your opponents have to surpass you in Terms of stack size. On the other Hand, if I'm tempted to Play less strong Hands such as KJ, KQ, just to get back into the game, I might lose quite a Portion of my stack.

Looking Forward to your Feedback!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan,

I have a question about when we have only 20 BB or less. I know that the general acceptance is aiming to double up.

What would you do if you have strong hand, let's say QQ. Will you raise with a hope that some mediocre hand will call and wait post flop to All-in? Or shove preflop?

I'm asking this because when we shove in, most of the times (not statistically proven) I only got to steal the blinds.
I don't start mostly open jamming until 12bb or less.

Usually with 14+ I'm still just opening.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan,

My question is, with a certain amount of luck in the game, how do you know that you are starting to get good? In my mind making money doesn’t always indicate skill either. Maybe consistently in the money in tournaments?
Studying and reviewing a lot is the only way to know.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan,

How would you recommend to continue playing if you're in early stage of the game when you managed to have a good stack size (10th place out of 2000 Players), but you know that there is still some time until Tournament Ends and sizes are increasing steadily (Hyper-Turbo)? Play tight and wait until you have very strong Hands (TT+, AJ+)? My fear is that, the longer you wait until "getting back to the game", the more blinds you are loosing, the more chances your opponents have to surpass you in Terms of stack size. On the other Hand, if I'm tempted to Play less strong Hands such as KJ, KQ, just to get back into the game, I might lose quite a Portion of my stack.

Looking Forward to your Feedback!
You shouldn't change your play based on being bigger stack really, besides for being a little bit looser, not tighter.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan.

New to talking about poker, I've gone over some of the most expensive and costly mistakes I can make (and have made) during MTT's

Cold calling open raises from early position late in tournaments with mediocre hands in late position AQo QTo etc. (when raiser has me totally covered)

Having a wide 4-bet/5bet calling range.

Missing value on rivers by overchecking.

Being overly aggressive in the small blind holding middle pair/middle kicker.

Outright bluffing

Leading out on betting from the small blind using only one of my hole cards.

Shoving the flop using only one card against the board (I hold KKings diamond, on diamond flop)

Calling x/r with air

Calling large c-bets on flop with air.

Calling bets on the turn with zero chance of winning.

Using 1 hole card to determine betting the flop. Better to check and call/fold.

Most of these mistakes are probably common sense to others and I'm hoping by admitting these problems I can overcome them.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't start mostly open jamming until 12bb or less.

Usually with 14+ I'm still just opening.
Can you explain this jam/open range with a short stack. It seems there isn't much difference between 12 BBs and 14 BBs. What do you do with 13 BBs?

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20BB

Hi Ryan,

With 20 BB left, just play as you normally do. Depending on your position raise enough to push out the garbage hands out. Don't let your stack get too small or you all-in bets will get called much more often. I let that happen yesterday with only 8BB and the guy called my AK suited with a 5-7 off-suit. He hit a runner, runner to make a straight on the river and knocked me out. That hurt.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BT

How i can win in the big tournament ?

I would say, you have to be an experienced player that plays smart and also gets lucky at times. I've been knocked out of tourneys so many times on the other person just getting lucky.