HUD - is that form of cheating

P

pokersport88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you play live poker its you and the other poker actors.

But I think that when you use HUD, its a form of cheating because the computer tracks the actors play, style, card range and calculates the odds on your behalf.

It becomes a game for the best AI technology because the unknow information is greatly reduced to make the poker hero's decision making easier.

Secondly does anyone know at what point does the HUD program reads the cards of other pokers actors?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUDs basically give you the information that is available to you at a live poker table. Non of the HUDs I use calculate the odds for you while you play.

HUDs typically get their information from the clients hand history

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've not found my HUD to calculate Odd's lol All it does is basically show you Stats... like how often its likely your opponent has stolen your Blinds or how often they Bet or Pre-flop Aggression... Its a tool that aids your memory but allows you to be lazy too...

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No i dont believe its cheating, HUDS just record information that is available to every player, without it you would be forced to play 1 or 2 tables and have an advantage over those that are playing 12 tables. The poker sites want as much rake as possible so they encourage multi tabling. Imo poker sites should offer there own HUD built into the client allowing everyone to have access to one, haven't seen this implemented though.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not really like using HUD. I wonder how much can really help me in decision making and whether there might be a counter-spreadsheet of my charts and my own statistics may be selling.

C

CJWilliam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing about HUDs is not about the other players, but the ability to review and study your own game afterwards. IMHO

B

Brayan9052

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The utility of the software does not give you an advantage over other players if you do not know how to use it.

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha anyone that is saying HUD is just doing something that players do anyway is in denial

it's cheating

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

But I think that when you use HUD, its a form of cheating because the computer tracks the actors play, style, card range and calculates the odds on your behalf.

It becomes a game for the best AI technology because the unknow information is greatly reduced to make the poker hero's decision making easier.

Secondly does anyone know at what point does the HUD program reads the cards of other pokers actors?

HUDs are NOT cheating.

A HUD is a tool for online poker.

You should use ALL the tools available to you.

Good luck !

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree with you. I never used HUD, because in my opinion all the helper programs used during the game should be banned. the game should be clean as in chess. The human brain against the other human brain. Pure fair competition.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also want to install this program, I also wonder how much it helps the player, if it helps, so what's ..

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most if not all rooms say it is forbidden to use online tools.
Many rooms make an exception for HUD's.

As others have said: HUD's do no calculate odds, but they do provide essential input to help you make an estimate of the odds.

So as for OP's question, for me:
depending the room, HUD's are either allowed, or considered cheating.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha anyone that is saying HUD is just doing something that players do anyway is in denial

it's cheating

So you don't keep track of how often a player is calling or raising preflop or how often they fold to a 3 bet? Live and online these are basics that you should be keeping track of? A hud just does the leg work for you and makes reviewing hands simple.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUDs are NOT cheating.

A HUD is a tool for online poker.

You should use ALL the tools available to you.

Good luck !

+2

Exactly... it's a TOOL. A TOOL that everyone has access to. The HUDs are cheating crowd really aren't thinking this one through very well. From what I glean though, the people who are HUD resistant generally don't win at online poker, and want something/someone to blame other than themselves.

1) TOOLS do not make you a better poker player. In the same way that having the best tools for golf, tennis, or any other sport, don't make you a better golfer or tennis player.

2) If you take extreme views on HUDs and want to "ban" them, what's going to happen is players that want to spend large amounts of money, will get custom tools built that everyone will not have access to. The minute a site takes a banned stance on HUDs, tools sell in the poker black market for $3k+.

3) HUDs and tracking have uncovered some of the biggest online collusion, fraud, and super user accounts the online poker community has seen. Without these tools, it's doubtful most of these cases would have been exposed.

4) HUDs and trackers are the best way to track and learn about your own poker game.

Full disclosure, I sell HUDs. However, this has been my stance WAY before I ever sold them. I've played online poker for 15 years, and tracking software is the best investment you can make in your poker game.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I Agree, HUD if not cheating, is an unfair disadvantage for those that don’t have the HUD,

In live poker I do a lot better since players only rely on their live evaluations!

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Agree, HUD if not cheating, is an unfair disadvantage for those that don’t have the HUD,

In live poker I do a lot better since players only rely on their live evaluations!
Fully agree,
My interpretation of the post above (by John) is fully in line with yours:
"Only very few people are profitable in online poker without HUD".
Or, more in sales/software/gaming terms: a HUD is a required add-on in online poker.
That's a +++ for the few room that do not allow any third party tools.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+2

Exactly... it's a TOOL. A TOOL that everyone has access to. The HUDs are cheating crowd really aren't thinking this one through very well. From what I glean though, the people who are HUD resistant generally don't win at online poker, and want something/someone to blame other than themselves.

1) TOOLS do not make you a better poker player. In the same way that having the best tools for golf, tennis, or any other sport, don't make you a better golfer or tennis player.

2) If you take extreme views on HUDs and want to "ban" them, what's going to happen is players that want to spend large amounts of money, will get custom tools built that everyone will not have access to. The minute a site takes a banned stance on HUDs, tools sell in the poker black market for $3k+.

3) HUDs and tracking have uncovered some of the biggest online collusion, fraud, and super user accounts the online poker community has seen. Without these tools, it's doubtful most of these cases would have been exposed.

4) HUDs and trackers are the best way to track and learn about your own poker game.

Full disclosure, I sell HUDs. However, this has been my stance WAY before I ever sold them. I've played online poker for 15 years, and tracking software is the best investment you can make in your poker game.
Sorry to say, but this post is very close to being 'inapropriate', as it sounds like an NRA flyer:
0 to win, a HUD is required
1 conflicting with 0); although it doesn't literaly make you a better player, it does make you a winning player.
2 without HUDs, more bots??? so the rooms that do not allow HUDs are bot infested?
3&4 deliberate mixing the functions and benefits of trackers and HUDs.

+1
summary: without a HUD you have very small chance of winning in online poker.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to say, but this post is very close to being 'inapropriate', as it sounds like an NRA flyer:
0 to win, a HUD is required
1 conflicting with 0); although it doesn't literaly make you a better player, it does make you a winning player.
2 without HUDs, more bots??? so the rooms that do not allow HUDs are bot infested?
3&4 deliberate mixing the functions and benefits of trackers and HUDs.

+1
summary: without a HUD you have very small chance of winning in online poker.

0 - Wrong. Never said that.
1 - Wrong. Never said that.
2 - Wrong. Never said that
3&4 - Wrong. I'm assuming you don't know the history of online poker. Read about super users and how they were discovered. a HUD was the first indicator something didn't make sense, and then the data from the database tracker was used to prove and expose this.

My point is simple, so I'll re-iterate. If you take an extreme position on HUDs, or most things in life, you're going to end up exposing yourself in other areas. HUDs do not make you a winning player. Just ask many of the losing players on here that use HUDs. They do provide an advantage, like I stated in my analogy that I guess you didn't understand, which allows you to perform better, when you use it correctly. Instead of banning, common sense regulation is the more intelligent route - like pokerstars did. Because they realize what will happen if they do ban them.

Everyone has access to a HUD - and many are free. So what's the real resistance here? I have my opinion on this, but won't share publicly.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you instantly have a sense of every players tendencies and you haven't played a hand it is a distinct advantage and could be cheating for sure....
its like cliff notes to a test

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No it is not cheating. Cheating is against the rules, the use of a HUD is not against the rules. I will let you follow the logic from here, good luck.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you instantly have a sense of every players tendencies and you haven't played a hand it is a distinct advantage and could be cheating for sure....
its like cliff notes to a test

It's not cheating if everyone has access to the same thing and it's not against the rules. It's really not complicated.

If you're playing online poker, and not using a HUD and tracker, that's on you. Don't blame the people who are winning. Don't blame HUDs. Blame yourself.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
online game too tough now

at micro stakes the ridiculous rake will eat you alive . at bigger levels too many players have HUDs , and instant access to your recent history . some probably are using online tools that show flop odds for all kinds of possibilities and even suggest the best mathematical move or bet size ! are the later banned + cheating ? who knows , and can the poker sites detect them ? one could easily have the calculating machine /solver on a 2nd computer or phone and nobody would be able to tell . you might not be able to do that with 12 tables, but 2 or 3 would not be hard . if you play MTT's , your opponents make look up your sharkscope rating and have info about your losses or win rates, etc . any recreational player who is below par in the tech department is probably doomed . perhaps there is some middle level action that can be beaten by an amateur , but I am not sure about that anymore .

L

lovido

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've not found my HUD to calculate Odd's lol All it does is basically show you Stats... like how often its likely your opponent has stolen your Blinds or how often they Bet or Pre-flop Aggression... Its a tool that aids your memory but allows you to be lazy too...

Strongly agree, i think you might even misjudge your opponent at some point, as some do change their pattern of play over time.

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not cheating since it is allowed and everyone can do it if they have the energy and make effort to learn how to use them in a useful way. In some ways it rewards those who will study and do the initial hard work of getting everything set up and understanding all the statistics. But I would rather them be made prohibited to have more new players like me feel like they are playing on more level field. I definitely noticed how people play me differently than the first month I played as they are looking at my numbers. I know what my numbers would be, so I just try to take advantage of that. If I can ever get party poker software working, it will be interesting to see the difference since HUDs don't work there with the Player 1, 2.... set up.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider poker trackers progs a cheating. When we play live poker, we play at the same table, but online I play 6 + tables and it is difficult to follow each player independently. In addition, the HUD is read after the end of the hand.