Why do bad hands keep beating good hands online?

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've seen many players that had an unbelievable streaks of luck (on Pokerstars), but they never won the tourney or made the final table. They win 5-6 hand in a row and then bustout. Are they good players ? NO. Are they winning players ? NO
but the initial question is not whether or not they are good players... The fact is that, really, in online the bad hands are beating a lot of good hands, whoever plays daily knows, that is, you were eliminated with KK for 72o, who pushed all-in and won, right after that this bad player can even be eliminated, but it doesn't change the sad story of having eliminated you before... In person, that doesn't happen so much.

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple, online you play a lot more hands, goes much faster so you will more often have those sort of bad beats or coolers etc.

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is not only preflop. I folded so many full houses, straights and etc.
It is all about your prediction and feeling.
bluffing is also option :)

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just an illustration of how human selective memory works)) You remember for a long time when your strong hand loses to a frankly weak one and quickly forget when your weak hand killed a strong one)

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is gambling, with skill obviously. But even if you get your money in with a 90% chance of success you are still going to lose 10% of the time, and it's rare to ever get it in with that high of an advantage. We tend to remember the bad beats much more than the times our hands held.

I don't think it's any less likely than in a live game. But since random number generators are involved and its done electronically people are more likely to believe that there was something unsavory involved.

lucayam

lucayam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
That is not an exclusivity of online poker my friend. It happens in live poker as well. It's just poker. No matter what are the odds, the bad beat comes to us all.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of a bad hand winning are not that low and in online poker you play a lot more hands. So I have my doubts if this is true when playing on the big sites.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
happens is poker normally sometimes they beat you with ridiculous hands but that's why you have to learn to play your hands well

P

Pdangle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I to have seen much of this. The oh bad hand strikes again. Crazy

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
to be honest this has been happening to me all weak, i get coolered really bad
bad beats, and overall trash hands keep calling 3bet raises and all ins, sometimes as a play you have to realize when youre have a bad streak

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what the problem is or under what pretext some players play those bad hands until they end up beating you with a good hand.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to say in which room this happens, but such cases happen. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes when a player with incredibly bad cards beats me several times and I'm out of the tournament.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If it happens, it's part of the variance, but in the long run, playing well with good hands will make you a winner.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's not just online. Be happy about it! Just because of that the fishes play poker. They win sometimes but most likely you win!
Maybe yes, but think about it. If there are 9 seats and 8 are filled by loose fish and one is taken by a tight skilled player, who has the odds in their favour when all of their tournament lives depend on ONE hand?

The tight skilled player has to take out the eight loose fish. Also, if some of the loose fish are knocked out they will be replaced by more loose fish.

So yes the tight skilled player has strength. But the loose fish have strength in numbers.

If I had to bet on one tight skilled player or one of an infinite number of loose fish I’d take the loose fish every time.

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It all depends the format your playing, what stake? Micro? 1$? Turbo?

Try playing 10$ deep stack or just 10 minutes blind, play from the beggining, deep.

Sometimes people come complain about online poker but u see hes playing hyper turbo, spin and go, tempest and all sort of turbo shit.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just know that when players hold big cards ofc the flop will be small

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this is my first post and i hope you like it.

usually when we play online, we have the doubt of what really is a good hand since sometimes a 2,3 can beat pair of A's.

It seems that there is much more going on in online poker than a real game.
It is clear that a good poker player proves it table after table and tournament after tournament, but sometimes you can get lucky.

Have you had the feeling that some player has had unbelievable streaks of luck winning chips with very low hands betting all in vs very good hands for several hands in a row?
If you have seen it, in which poker room is it seen more?
I've recently noticed this more frequently in the most popular game rooms, I think it's one of the ways they apply to keep the weaker players in the rooms, 888poker, pokerstars, ggpoker, partypoker ..... they all do the same.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
well I'm going to make my point of view in relation to online poker.
as we know it's a game of skill and luck
I see this happen a lot
bad hands beating good hands,
more than good hands beating bad ones,
and I see a lot of crazy people playing anyway and winning.
more dedicate yourself study hard learn the game in depth and this variance will decrease

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've never played in person to compare but have seen what you described online very often. I don't understand it myself but those people playing those garbage hands and winning do not make it to final tables that I have seen. They knock themselves out by continuing to play the garbage the same way. It's great when you're the one to take them out with a better hand but also a risk when they seem to be getting lucky and winning so often. Not sure the solution but you're certainly not alone in your observation.

M

miriancastro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also see it that way, it's very common to see AA losing to marginal hands, like 28, 39.5T or smaller pairs.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though online poker is less rigged than our government I found out that T7 suited is the gold standard of suited cards on BCP. AA vs T7 suited is an 80/20 favorite preflop. I checked my AA hand vs T7 suited on PokerTracker and found my AA is only 50/50 vs T7 suited.

2022 07 27 12 24 24

2022 07 27 12 27 39

Maximus1980340

Maximus1980340

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I often notice how bad hands beat good hands I don't know why, but it's who has the most stack even though he has bad cards, they always gnaw out 80 percent

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, in poker there is a thing called variance, both up and down. So it's not uncommon to see a player with what we consider absurd luck. It's just variance.:cool:;)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands