Why do bad hands keep beating good hands online?

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Picked up TT today, loose calling station calls my PFR. A ****** who pushed his stack 3 or 4 times in the SB 3Bet all in with pocket 3s. I insta called off my 30bb stack and the loose calling station calls off his stack with T7 suited. J came on the flop, 9 on the turn and 8 on the river giving the T7 suited a backdoor straight.

The T7 suited guy was loose and weak, he was a 70/2 preflop. I reviewed some big hands he won on PokerTracker, he would stick around and on the river would hit a miracle card. He might have been a bot and knew what cards were going to come out. I doubt BCP would use house bots and shills but it's possible.

The moral of the story is that if you like playing online poker you need to get better than good to beat the variance of a rigged shuffle or you'll have to be a loose ****** and use the rigged shuffle to your advantage. 🤣🤣

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had that doubt but what I do is check how the player continues to play, for example I played once a player who was playing normal nothing crazy and I match an all in with something like J4 and it comes out on the flop 44 I was left with a feeling ugly feeling that he knew that would happen and it has happened to me other times, but what I do is keep seeing that player even though I am already out of the tournament and in the end they end up being left out so my theory quickly forgets me and I continue in it mine and I see it as what is part of poker and those strange players who play, it is perhaps what at one point it cost me to deal with but as I have said when I see the player's follow-up I realize that it was just a coincidence, ,, It is part of poker that not so strong hands beat the premium but you should also review how the play was developed and that is where it is often badly played

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything is possible, you just don't have to make the right decisions, the result is not always going to be the best in the short term but in the long term you can see the difference

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play on PS CC freerolls mainly and i spoted exactly different thing. It's hard to beat better hand with bad hand.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure is frustrating when it happens. Yesterday I was playing online and I has pocket Aces. I three bet, big bet at the time was 5k.K9 calls. C bet 30k, river bet 50k. Opponent had K9. K on the flop, turn 9, river 9. How does a non suited K 9 call a 15 K pre flop raise? Aces lose.

L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I swear I see this more and more on pokerstars then any other site. I wonder if it's just me or does it happen more often on pokerstars

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Every hand is playable thats why ...
...and what's more, when you're up against the biggest stack, there's a good chance your good hand will be beaten by a weaker hand if your opponent chooses to play with it. In online poker, this is all the time.

treblek1

treblek1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
weak cards can have momentary success, in the long run it is not beneficial to play them,
especially for beginners who play over, for example, 8-9 suites, etc
open ender and mast seem like good line cards.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as we wrote above - a large stack
even with bad cards,․ has more wins against a small stack, this has been noticed by many players for a long time, besides, sometimes in tournaments the poker room tries to finish the tournament as quickly as possible, because this is in his favor, so incredible hands occur, where three players have pairs so that they go all-in, as I I do not exclude that there are bots, after all, this is a computer program that hands out cards to us, and incredible algorithms can be embedded in it, when a player wins with 2,-3 percent of the chances of winning,
I observed such a picture-three people went all-in, one A A the second also has a strong hand and the third with J 6 he won, winning combinations came to him on the turn and river, but that's not the question, the question is that this guy closed the game window without waiting for the end of the hand, he became the chip leader, but he was in a sit-out until the end of the game

F

Forkliftgu22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think there are some issues with 888 I play almost every day and have noticed AK consistently looses against worst hands generally weaker aces. I’m beginning to think AK is trash on 888. I don’t have this issue on other sites.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To all of you who think sites use bots and are rigged , WHY do you keep giving your money to a place you think is cheating you?

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fact number 1: the best hand aways wins at showdown. Fact number 2: the best hand is made up of 5 cards out of 7 possible cards. Fact number 3: Your 2 hole cards is no guarantee that you will win at showdown regardless of whether or not they are better than someone else's.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People tend to remember the outliers while not remembering all the standard plays. Over a larger sample size I am sure you will find a normal distribution.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Welcome to variance. :)

A sick downswing will lead you to question everything, trust me! :LOL:

However, the most likely truth is that probability doesn't really care too much about anyone's individual expectations and that if there is an infinitesimal chance of something happening, regards of how improbable, eventually it will occur.

This is true for events with a 0.000000000000000000000001% probability, let alone those with a 10% probability.

Comparatively, 10% happens all the time. ;)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Recreational players, don't believe in strategies or statistics, play in luck and believe in the probable luck they can have, I've lost so many times with a good hand, but I believe in the turnaround, and I always end up watching their defeat, analyzing, they are like waves , come and go

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Any pocket pair is just a pocket pair. There are more winning combinations that beat a pocket pair.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Another thing else:
I've notice that most of the online poker boards, Aces come too frequently (maybe I'm wrong), and the majority of the streets cards are T or higher (maybe I'm wrong). I've made a 'research', watching live poker videos, and seemed to me that the live dealers shuffling is more randomized than the online RNGs do.
I believe ,as well, bad beats take place at a higher rate at the online games.
But these and those are not enough to keep me away from the online poker rooms. I keep playing, enjoying, having fun winning, losing and learning. They're sufficiently fair for me.:)

smuckenfart

smuckenfart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Having the best hand "at the moment" isn't a guarantee it'll stay that way.
90% of the time when I have someone all-in I'm ahead, but then they catch. Just because there's an 8% chance to hit doesn't mean it's going to land in that 92% zone.

It's also relative to what you consider a "bad hand". Any non-suited low cards without any chance to connect I consider a bad hand, but the action in play also needs to be considered. If the whole table limped in then there are no bad cards, since the board could give these crap hands blockers, bluff catchers or outs capable of beating the optimal hand ranges. Bad hands beat good hands according to their statistical likelihood, but good play obfuscates these wins, while Donkey calls make them visible.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Another thing else:
I've notice that most of the online poker boards, Aces come too frequently (maybe I'm wrong), and the majority of the streets cards are T or higher (maybe I'm wrong). I've made a 'research', watching live poker videos, and seemed to me that the live dealers shuffling is more randomized than the online RNGs do.
I believe ,as well, bad beats take place at a higher rate at the online games.
But these and those are not enough to keep me away from the online poker rooms. I keep playing, enjoying, having fun winning, losing and learning. They're sufficiently fair for me.:)
I agree it seems that live dealing is more randomized but I attribute that to the fact that one sees more hands online. Our brain is trained to remember the abnormalities, in this case the bad beats and sickouts. Hence we see more of them and that is what we remember.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree it seems that live dealing is more randomized but I attribute that to the fact that one sees more hands online. Our brain is trained to remember the abnormalities, in this case the bad beats and sickouts. Hence we see more of them and that is what we remember.
(y)That makes sense indeed.

N

Nusya

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it depends on the room.
Sometimes incredible cases were on television tables. Probability theory in action.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because luck is an integral part of online poker.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter how strange it may sound, but this is one of the features of poker, because of which we love it so much) when even the weakest cards at first glance can win hands, but each player would like not to be in this
situation)

francisco mendoza

francisco mendoza

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those kinds of plays, where good hands are swept away by weak hands, are seen on every online poker site, but I have seen 888 Poker being more brazen when it comes to putting villains to win. Not to mention that 95% of JJ-pairs don't beat anyone. Villains are favored by online poker systems.

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
It happens, but in the long run those who play this way don't get very far.

The secret is not the number of hands played, but the quality of the hands.

I normally play 15% to 17% of hands and most of the time I always stay in the money.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands