Thinking in Ranges (Day 3 Course Discussion)

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking about eloytuga's range and saying he has to have a KK+ or pocket of J's or better to call a hand like that but from experience, some players tend to have no hand but try to scare you off the money because they already made an initial raise and can not go back on it but I ain't calling that hand unless I have KK+ hand

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was very interesting, most of the Twitch poker players always talk about ranges. Try to do it at the table, but you have not all the time in the world. So experience in recognizing situations is I think the key word? Looking at hand history and think, what is his range.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was very interesting, most of the Twitch poker players always talk about ranges. Try to do it at the table, but you have not all the time in the world. So experience in recognizing situations is I think the key word? Looking at hand history and think, what is his range.

Yes or just thinking about what your range would be in a similar situation -- that can be a great place to start.

And nice idea -- Watching Twitch streams is definitely very good practice learning about ranges.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoyed this lesson, this is one of my weaknesses because I do not always think and break down the hands into ranges as Collin explained. I really enjoyed seeing the abbreviations of 88+ and AQo+, this has taught me to think about this easier and after this lesson I am thinking of using solvers and putting in the ranges on Equilab to help me to train my mind into thinking about each situation during the Funnel and re evaluating depending on the type of player and their betting patterns i.e Passive, aggressive ect.

Many thanks

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoyed this lesson, this is one of my weaknesses because I do not always think and break down the hands into ranges as Collin explained. I really enjoyed seeing the abbreviations of 88+ and AQo+, this has taught me to think about this easier and after this lesson I am thinking of using solvers and putting in the ranges on Equilab to help me to train my mind into thinking about each situation during the Funnel and re evaluating depending on the type of player and their betting patterns i.e Passive, aggressive ect.

Many thanks

Sounds like you’re doing an awesome job with studying as you progress through the course—well done! :)

J0hnnyRingo

J0hnnyRingo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 3 - Interesting

Thinking in ranges is an interesting concept. Im going to take some time and really digest this info. Im going back to basics and building a solid strategic foundation based on ranges. :D

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless the player is an absolute maniac, he is on a range of QQ+ and possibly AK although I was in a SNG today where the action went (on the very first hand): UTG min raise, UTG+1 call, LJ min raise to 4 BBs, HJ call, CU call and I was on the button with AQs and made the call (pot odds) which let SB and BB also call. UTG then raises to 20, UTG+1 folds, LJ shoves for 100 BBs, HJ calls and it folds back around to UTG who calls. The hands= UTG: JJ, LJ: AKo, HJ: AKo. I was honestly expecting to see an AA or KK from one of the players or AA v KK.

Great lesson. Ranges are super important.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless the player is an absolute maniac, he is on a range of QQ+ and possibly AK although I was in a SNG today where the action went (on the very first hand): UTG min raise, UTG+1 call, LJ min raise to 4 BBs, HJ call, CU call and I was on the button with AQs and made the call (pot odds) which let SB and BB also call. UTG then raises to 20, UTG+1 folds, LJ shoves for 100 BBs, HJ calls and it folds back around to UTG who calls. The hands= UTG: JJ, LJ: AKo, HJ: AKo. I was honestly expecting to see an AA or KK from one of the players or AA v KK.

Great lesson. Ranges are super important.

Definitely, people can show up with unexpected hands or at least situations just like the one you give here where it seems that at least someone has to have KK+ but doesn't. That's a great example!

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I really focused on ranges and studying my opponents during the tournament I played. I was skeptical initially that it would be of much difference because I used to go by feel placing them loosely on certain hands and not take the time to really study them, but it turned out it helped me make a lot of good decisions (along with using position) and I progressed quite far in the tournament. Thank you for the help!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I really focused on ranges and studying my opponents during the tournament I played. I was skeptical initially that it would be of much difference because I used to go by feel placing them loosely on certain hands and not take the time to really study them, but it turned out it helped me make a lot of good decisions (along with using position) and I progressed quite far in the tournament. Thank you for the help!

Great job, especially on managing to try a new concept despite initial skepticism. I’m so glad it proved helpful to you! :)

F

Floki360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I put him in a Range of KK+, AKs. I dont think so he gonna call this shove with less, second is hims stack. He's pretty much deep stack.

Very nice course by the way, thank you so much doing this.

Kind regards

Floki360 :D

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I put him in a Range of KK+, AKs. I dont think so he gonna call this shove with less, second is hims stack. He's pretty much deep stack.

Kind regards

Thanks for the nice words Floki and posting your answer to the day's quiz question. Good luck in the course!

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Enjoyed the lesson on ranges a lot, but should I be concerned that I had Eloy's range as narrow as AA, AK or KK? Most others have Eloy on a wider range? I wonder what they had ��.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Enjoyed the lesson on ranges a lot, but should I be concerned that I had Eloy's range as narrow as AA, AK or KK? Most others have Eloy on a wider range? I wonder what they had .

Tight range is a great sign that you’re applying the principles in this chapter, way to go! :)

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the range of hands between cash games and MTT is not the same

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read this lesson this morning and i found it very interesting.
I tried this afternoon to think in ranges but it seems to be more difficult in real game than on the video :D
And sometimes my brain switches back to previous way of playing .
I will have to improve my reading of the ranges if i want to survive in the cruel word of online poker ;)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Enjoyed the lesson on ranges a lot, but should I be concerned that I had Eloy's range as narrow as AA, AK or KK? Most others have Eloy on a wider range? I wonder what they had ��.

I would put him on a slightly wider range, but yours is definitely ballpark. And good Q, I'll have to look back to see what he actually had there :)

the range of hands between cash games and MTT is not the same

Holding other factors constant, such as effective stack, looseness/aggression of remaining players, ante size, etc, I would open the same range in a cash game compared to early stage MTT play.

I read this lesson this morning and i found it very interesting.
I tried this afternoon to think in ranges but it seems to be more difficult in real game than on the video :D
And sometimes my brain switches back to previous way of playing .
I will have to improve my reading of the ranges if i want to survive in the cruel word of online poker ;)

Thanks, and don't worry, it will get much easier with time!

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I went through these first 5/6 days before on Youtube, but going over it again has really helped my game play, and thinking in ranges cannot be emphasized more, and this also requires you to pay attention to the preflop action right down to what the player showed down with to adjust your range for them to know relatively when they are bluffing and when they seemingly have the nuts.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I went through these first 5/6 days before on Youtube, but going over it again has really helped my game play, and thinking in ranges cannot be emphasized more, and this also requires you to pay attention to the preflop action right down to what the player showed down with to adjust your range for them to know relatively when they are bluffing and when they seemingly have the nuts.

So glad to hear, thanks very much for sharing! :)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Kind regards

I agree, the first thing I thought was the size of the stack, second, he has less chips than the villain, and I added QQ in the range.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting lesson, thanks for making this course available. I'm trying to get used to thinking in ranges but finding it hard to keep track of during games.

Is there any Apps or programs that can be used for practice/training?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting lesson, thanks for making this course available. I'm trying to get used to thinking in ranges but finding it hard to keep track of during games.

Is there any apps or programs that can be used for practice/training?

Thanks Nismo and good question.

The best way to start thinking in ranges with software help is by using Equilab. Certain sites like Stars don’t let you have it up while playing but it’s free and very visual.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Nismo and good question.

The best way to start thinking in ranges with software help is by using Equilab. Certain sites like Stars don’t let you have it up while playing but it’s free and very visual.

Thanks Collin, I'll have a look into Equilab. I envy those who can visualise this stuff on the fly while the timer is beeping away at you!