Thinking in Ranges (Day 3 Course Discussion)

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranges? Like wtf

I really didn't give this concept that whole of a importance, it'll become part of my gameplay now and let's see how do I do.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i know the player and what they do or if they bluff a lot i play according to that. I am terrible with odds so i play my hand.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nowadays it is not wise to put an opponent on one hand from the start, but on the river players can make a good estimate of which hands the opponent might have.

Yes, or more accurately, you need to use all of the information you have which sometimes will just be from the start.

For example:

Your opponent is in the big blind at the start of the hand. Range: Any Two Cards

He calls a min-raise from the button. Range: Most hands Besides Junk and Premium Hands He'd Have Reraised with

And if the hand gets to the river we get the best and most narrow range possible with those additional actions.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If that the language...

If ranges is the language to win at poker, let's be fluent!

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The tighter, the easier

Yeah, it is a lot easier to put in a range a tight player, but when it comes to some loose player... It'll be a long road 'till I find a way to read them!

mandachuva

mandachuva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 3 of book

On day 3 of the book, the book says that we must always put our villains in various types of hands, since we already know that the villain can have several types of combinations, and we must think about which hand to put him ... always placing him with several different types of hands and thinking at intervals before taking any action
.:jd4::jd4:

Last edited:
Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On day 3 of the book, the book says that we must always put our villains in various types of hands, since we already know that the villain can have several types of combinations, and we must think about which hand to put him ... always placing him with several different types of hands and thinking at intervals before taking any action
.:jd4::jd4:
That's correct.
The good books teach us to 'walk' very good, the solid basis we should keep in mind, but 'run', we learn by ourselves, developing our own style, 'playing the players' and so it goes. Poker is an exciting and amazingly complex game.

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

How about some fun games?
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I loved the class.
I didn't know what the quiz was and I was really curious about the outcome of that hand ...
My question for that day is:
- While I don't have any notes from a player, can I put him in a wider range and according to the moves and showdowns to adjust?

- What is the best way to study the ranges?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I loved the class.
I didn't know what the quiz was and I was really curious about the outcome of that hand ...
My question for that day is:
- While I don't have any notes from a player, can I put him in a wider range and according to the moves and showdowns to adjust?

- What is the best way to study the ranges?

So glad to hear this :)

1.) when you don’t have notes on a player, one way to start out is to give your opponent the range you would have in that particular spot, but of course make sure to use any info you pick up on them in order to improve that range.

2.) As the age old saying goes, practice makes perfect! When I was learning this skill, I would play one table of poker online and range everyone, even if I wasn’t in the hand.

Hope this helps!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my biggest frustrations with range reading is removing too many hands from the range based on a passive action.

Try thinking about this a little differently: Removing hands from a range is great because that helps you narrow it down. In an extreme case, if you removed all hands from an opponent's range but one, then you would know exactly what hand they held :)

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
This is very useful chapter Collin and Katie, and very help to player when you know the theory of range of hands, and know how to use it. But, as Collin mentioned above, do not forget it is not exact science and you can not to be sure how players will act, even tight players bluffing sometimes. But anyway it help you much.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very useful chapter Collin and Katie, and very help to player when you know the theory of range of hands, and know how to use it. But, as Collin mentioned above, do not forget it is not exact science and you can not to be sure how players will act, even tight players bluffing sometimes. But anyway it help you much.

That’s great to hear, thanks so much! :)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most often on the turn, I already know 90% of my opponent's range. What a sadness that 10% are playing passively and waiting for the river. I lost 90% of yesterday's hands exclusively on the river. But I play aggressive poker. What am I doing wrong? Ok I'll give you an example. I have two threes. and I go into the game with UPG limping (without raising) Villain calls. comes out 3 4 6. I have a set of 3s, my opponent has two pairs 4 and 6 + flash draw. I bet 50% of the pot. Villain all in. i'm all in too. turn: an ace that won't improve my opponent's hand to a flush - i almost won, but the river makes his hand to a flush. I thought he had a maximum of a set of 4 or a set of 6 or two aces / kings / queens. Tell me should I go allin or should I fold, did I play right or shouldn't I risk it?

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That’s great to hear, thanks so much! :)

Do you like 4bet opponents when have a pair of acec on preflop? And do you like to go to showdown ot it depends of situation?
I know many good players, who dont want to fold with two aces)
Is it easy to fold with them? :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most often on the turn, I already know 90% of my opponent's range. What a sadness that 10% are playing passively and waiting for the river. I lost 90% of yesterday's hands exclusively on the river. But I play aggressive poker. What am I doing wrong? Ok I'll give you an example. I have two threes. and I go into the game with UPG limping (without raising) Villain calls. comes out 3 4 6. I have a set of 3s, my opponent has two pairs 4 and 6 + flash draw. I bet 50% of the pot. Villain all in. i'm all in too. turn: an ace that won't improve my opponent's hand to a flush - i almost won, but the river makes his hand to a flush. I thought he had a maximum of a set of 4 or a set of 6 or two aces / kings / queens. Tell me should I go allin or should I fold, did I play right or shouldn't I risk it?

Getting it all-in with bottom set sounds very reasonable. You took a bad beat which is never fun, but stay decision-oriented and the results will come!

Do you like 4bet opponents when have a pair of acec on preflop? And do you like to go to showdown ot it depends of situation?
I know many good players, who dont want to fold with two aces)
Is it easy to fold with them? :)

Usually you should always re-open the betting pre-flop with AA. So if somebody 3-bets you and you have AA, then it's usually correct to 4-bet so that you build up the pot and have a chance of getting it in when your equity is the highest.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting it all-in with bottom set sounds very reasonable. You took a bad beat which is never fun, but stay decision-oriented and the results will come!

Usually you should always re-open the betting pre-flop with AA. So if somebody 3-bets you and you have AA, then it's usually correct to 4-bet so that you build up the pot and have a chance of getting it in when your equity is the highest.

Аfter the bad beats I start to play too aggressively and it does not affect my playing in the best way. 5 bad beats in a row can throw even a great professional off balance. I have a set on the flop and Villain improves his hand on the river with 15 percent equity on the turn. It is very sad. I want to catch upstreak at last :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Аfter the bad beats I start to play too aggressively and it does not affect my playing in the best way. 5 bad beats in a row can throw even a great professional off balance. I have a set on the flop and Villain improves his hand on the river with 15 percent equity on the turn. It is very sad. I want to catch upstreak at last :)

If possible, try not to watch the runouts. That will make it way easier to focus on the percent versus just “deserving to win” if that makes sense. (Like getting it in with an overpair pre having the thought be—“great! I got it in as an 80% favorite here!”)

We have to work as hard as we need to in order to get to the point where we continue to play our best when we take a bad beat, as our response to getting sucked out on can quickly become worse than the suck out itself. Not to mention that we can’t control the cards that come, but can control (or at least improve!) our response. It does get easier as time goes on :)

Hope this helps and that your luck turns around soon [emoji4]

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would give him avery tight range like JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AQ,AK, maybe AJ s...because he calls even he is covered... ;)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If possible, try not to watch the runouts. That will make it way easier to focus on the percent versus just “deserving to win” if that makes sense. (Like getting it in with an overpair pre having the thought be—“great! I got it in as an 80% favorite here!”)

We have to work as hard as we need to in order to get to the point where we continue to play our best when we take a bad beat, as our response to getting sucked out on can quickly become worse than the suck out itself. Not to mention that we can’t control the cards that come, but can control (or at least improve!) our response. It does get easier as time goes on :)

Hope this helps and that your luck turns around soon [emoji4]
Thanks for the advice! I find it easier for me to deal with bad beats when I have a lot of money in my account) If I'm playing a buy-in tournament. I immediately think that it’s okay that I was knocked out of the tournament. I will play 100 more tournaments and maybe I will win 1 of them) But this probably comes from the correct bankroll management, am I right?:)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, or more accurately, you need to use all of the information you have which sometimes will just be from the start.

For example:

Your opponent is in the big blind at the start of the hand. Range: Any Two Cards

He calls a min-raise from the button. Range: Most Hands Besides Junk and Premium Hands He'd Have Reraised with

And if the hand gets to the river we get the best and most narrow range possible with those additional actions.

Finished Day 3
I put Villain on QQ+ or AK. There are not 10-20bb but 70bb so I think Eloy is tight player.
The tightest range: KK+ AKs
The widest range: 99+ AT+
But my opinion he go all in with QQ+
Can you give me right answer? It is very interesting to know :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the advice! I find it easier for me to deal with bad beats when I have a lot of money in my account) If I'm playing a buy-in tournament. I immediately think that it’s okay that I was knocked out of the tournament. I will play 100 more tournaments and maybe I will win 1 of them) But this probably comes from the correct bankroll management, am I right?:)

That is true, and a real part of why I like to practice more conservative bankroll management than a lot of other pros. Eliminating as much pressure as possible helps most people to play their best (myself included) though there are some that are actually helped by that kind of thing!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pichman, the correct answer in terms of the range I like best to put him on was: JJ QQ KK AA and AK. If you mean what did he actually have, I believe the answer is that he held AKs.

Hope that helps!

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pichman, the correct answer in terms of the range I like best to put him on was: JJ QQ KK AA and AK. If you mean what did he actually have, I believe the answer is that he held AKs.

Hope that helps!

Wow, after a week of intensive training in your course, I understand how important it is to think in ranges. I am deliberately in no hurry to finish the course, I want to digest all the information and be sure that I understand exactly what I need to win at least freerolls.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, after a week of intensive training in your course, I understand how important it is to think in ranges. I am deliberately in no hurry to finish the course, I want to digest all the information and be sure that I understand exactly what I need to win at least freerolls.

Awww, thanks, that is so great to hear! I’m sure you’ll go far with your intelligently regimented approach :)