The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just read the first day I would like to congratulate all the people that was envolved on this. the books looks great the writting is good and will be such a help for begginings and intermediates players

position is excencial and such a good choice for the first topic of the book. Its easy to understand the logic of playing last but takes a long time to really notice how good is to be the last one to give information because you can change you action base on the villain reation that played first

congrats guys such a good begining and I will be here each day in each chapter talking and discussion with all of you
This is a godsend! It's like I found a needle in a haystack that I just couldn't find. The course is definitely the best!

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow very informative, I never even know that there were positions in poker. over the years I was just playing for the fun of it now I going to have to start studying these things I just knew that BB was for big blind and SM for small blinds and the person sitting with the button was the advantageous person to direct the flow of the game.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can i ask, what is the right call for if you are.. Under the gun with pocket 7s say?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can i ask, what is the right call for if you are.. Under the gun with pocket 7s say?

You should generally raise 77 UTG, particularly if there’s an ante. Our advice is to raise if you’re first in the pot (except from the small blind position where limping first in becomes much better).

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for Day 1, it was already very interesting. Position is everything, need to learn more about range of card regarding position. Thank you for offering this course, hope to complete it real soon.

Hand 1-1 in the book, when I was in this situation, I should have bet, instead of check. Because I have potential flush or straight. Or is it better to check and wait that the next do and let them decide? Is it more waiting for a free card to see or better to bet? Wondering how other players thing?

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for Day 1, it was already very interesting. Position is everything, need to learn more about range of card regarding position. Thank you for offering this course, hope to complete it real soon.

Hand 1-1 in the book, when I was in this situation, I should have bet, instead of check. Because I have potential flush or straight. Or is it better to check and wait that the next do and let them decide? Is it more waiting for a free card to see or better to bet? Wondering how other players thing?

We're glad to hear you enjoyed Day 1!

Like we'll talk about in the main Draws day, it's definitely correct to play draws aggressively so your instincts are 100% correct :) But in Hand 1-1, you should usually check purely because the maniac has the pre-flop betting lead, so we'll check almost any hand in this spot instead of betting out into him. (More on this topic to come!)

J0hnnyRingo

J0hnnyRingo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1 in the Books

Good Day, Im looking forward to learning as much as I can from this 30 day course. Im currently a passive whale, but want to be the Elite. Cheers to Day 2.:D

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Day, Im looking forward to learning as much as I can from this 30 day course. Im currently a passive whale, but want to be the Elite. Cheers to Day 2.:D

Best of luck to you and we hope you enjoy the course! :)

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoyed Lesson 1, although I have read some books but never really studied as much as I should this is great showing the hands and talking about it.

I liked to learn about HJ and LJ because I wasn't aware of those meanings, now I use that terminology all the time.

Many thanks

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoyed Lesson 1, although I have read some books but never really studied as much as I should this is great showing the hands and talking about it.

I liked to learn about HJ and LJ because I wasn't aware of those meanings, now I use that terminology all the time.

Many thanks

So glad to hear it, thanks for sharing this! :)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good to remind the importance of the positions in the table and the best way to play each one...

And here you can find a very important term 'relative position'
I have not seen this in other courses and textbooks, so this is exclusive!

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
position

Hi Collin and Katie!

Thanks for the video.

However, I have a question which sometimes troubled me.

When we are on button or CO position and before us someone on UTG or UTG+1 raises with 3BB+, what should we do when we doesn't have best starting hand? Let's assume it's K10o or Q10o.

I'm asking because in every course it says about late position being looser. And sometimes I met people who raise in early position with premium hands and sometimes maniac who does not have anything.

FYI, I am still on NL2.

position is important but one must know when to give it up and when to be aggressive

and when to call as well as being passive.
:cool::D
usually if i get raised utg i calculate my preflop equity to win post flop if it is around 60-70 percent i call and depending on the board i play acordingly:D:cool::)

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the free resource! I'm a beginner and I'm definitely thinking a lot about position now and I'm wondering a few things.

If you're in late position chances are there will be some betting done before it's your turn to action. At least in micro/small stakes where I play there will most often be bets and raises. Doesn't then late position take away the chance for you to bluff? Isn't it harder to bluff somebody who committed money to the hand already. So for bluffing I think it's somewhat a disadvantage. So why is it said you can play worse/marginal hands from late position?

If you have a good hand though indeed it's good to see how much betting was done so you keep bleeding them for money, but then again if you have a good hand you don't much care where you are because you are confident playing it anyway. So what am I missing? Why is late position such an advantage?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the free resource! I'm a beginner and I'm definitely thinking a lot about position now and I'm wondering a few things.

If you're in late position chances are there will be some betting done before it's your turn to action. At least in micro/small stakes where I play there will most often be bets and raises. Doesn't then late position take away the chance for you to bluff? Isn't it harder to bluff somebody who committed money to the hand already. So for bluffing I think it's somewhat a disadvantage. So why is it said you can play worse/marginal hands from late position?

If you have a good hand though indeed it's good to see how much betting was done so you keep bleeding them for money, but then again if you have a good hand you don't much care where you are because you are confident playing it anyway. So what am I missing? Why is late position such an advantage?

What we mean is that you get to play worse/marginal hands from late position when no one has already entered the pot before you, instead of only the stronger range you would need to profitably open in early position.

You’re right that you need a stronger hand to play a pot (even in late position) that has already been opened by another player [emoji106], but when the pot hasn’t yet been opened you can raise a wider range in late position—because (in part) there are so many fewer people to get through.

A primary advantage of being in late position is to be able to make a decision with more information than the others (acting before you) have. Hope this helps [emoji4]

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I am becoming more and more convinced that position in poker is of key importance. Position is more important than hand strength. This is my opinion, but practice shows that it is so.

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What we mean is that you get to play worse/marginal hands from late position when no one has already entered the pot before you, instead of only the stronger range you would need to profitably open in early position.

You’re right that you need a stronger hand to play a pot (even in late position) that has already been opened by another player [emoji106], but when the pot hasn’t yet been opened you can raise a wider range in late position—because (in part) there are so many fewer people to get through.

A primary advantage of being in late position is to be able to make a decision with more information than the others (acting before you) have. Hope this helps [emoji4]

Thank you! Now I understand what you mean :)

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play in position, it is a good feeling to see the dudes fold after a remarkable bet :D