The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Peter Nesskquick

Peter Nesskquick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played poker for 1 month about 3 years ago. I played like a fish and lost about $ 1000 of my money. Now (after 3 year pause) I have decided to become a plus player in order to collect my long-standing loss( but now without a Deposit). The first video seemed very useful, as I usually just waited for good cards. Now I will look at the position and play a wider range, being in late positions.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played poker for 1 month about 3 years ago. I played like a fish and lost about $ 1000 of my money. Now (after 3 year pause) I have decided to become a plus player in order to collect my long-standing loss( but now without a Deposit). The first video seemed very useful, as I usually just waited for good cards. Now I will look at the position and play a wider range, being in late positions.

Glad to hear that, good luck Peter!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That’s an awesome goal and we really hope that the course helps you to achieve it soon! :)

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Thankyou for the course, I am not a native English speaker but I think it's easy to understand.

Is this something I should stop doing?
Often I mini raise with hands like 78 suited UTG, and hope to hit the flop with 1 or 2 callers. If I do not hit the flop I try to represent the Ace , because the other players will assume I have a strong hand from UTG/UTG+1.

I only do this in tournaments when I have a stack to work with.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thankyou for the course, I am not a native English speaker but I think it's easy to understand.

Is this something I should stop doing?
Often I mini raise with hands like 78 suited UTG, and hope to hit the flop with 1 or 2 callers. If I do not hit the flop I try to represent the Ace , because the other players will assume I have a strong hand from UTG/UTG+1.

I only do this in tournaments when I have a stack to work with.

Great, we're glad to hear that the course is going well.

C-betting 87s on an ace-high flop is usually the right play, particularly if you raised from early position since people will know you're on a tighter range.

Generally though, it's better to fold 87s pre-flop from UTG. If stacks are very deep (100bb or higher), or you have a big stack in a pressure situation like near the bubble or at a final table, then it can be OK to raise this hand from early position :)

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats a good place to find information for beginners willing to learn about HUDs and how poker tracker works

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whats a good place to find information for beginners willing to learn about HUDs and how poker tracker works

I would download the Poker Tracker free trial to play around with it and also look at the resources and videos on their site / Youtube. Start off with a nice simple HUD like Vpip / Pfr and Number of Hands.

C

CMack3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1

Great start. You have to know and utilize the basics to get to and be able to understand the complex. Know the language to learn the game!

Position is so crucial in poker. In legal terms it’s 9/10ths of the law. (Sorry, couldn’t resist):sleep:
Have too love taking advantage of relative position!
Looking forward to the remainder of the course.
Peace

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great start. You have to know and utilize the basics to get to and be able to understand the complex. Know the language to learn the game!

Position is so crucial in poker. In legal terms it’s 9/10ths of the law. (Sorry, couldn’t resist):sleep:
Have too love taking advantage of relative position!
Looking forward to the remainder of the course.
Peace

Haha yes it is and thanks for your nice words! :)

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha yes it is and thanks for your nice words! :)

Hello! I was curious to know what this course is for 30 days? So I decided to start with the first lesson, the video looked in one breath, in such a short time we were able to lay out a lot of useful things for the first lesson !
Tomorrow is the next lesson, this lesson will be about the benefits of aggression. I am not an aggressive player myself, I am sure that this lesson will be very useful for me.:congrats:

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I was curious to know what this course is for 30 days? So I decided to start with the first lesson, the video looked in one breath, in such a short time we were able to lay out a lot of useful things for the first lesson !
Tomorrow is the next lesson, this lesson will be about the benefits of aggression. I am not an aggressive player myself, I am sure that this lesson will be very useful for me.:congrats:

That’s great to hear! Wishing you the best of luck with the course! :)

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First day of class... Yeah!

Very interesting video, reassuring the importance of position.. What i liker most? It's surelly the relative position concept.

From now on, I'll be telling very good poker stories.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in a hurry!

Well, it seems I won't stop watching these classes for now, those 30 days of course will last maybe... 10?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it seems I won't stop watching these classes for now, those 30 days of course will last maybe... 10?

I'm glad you enjoyed the concept of relative position and good luck going through the course!

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

Currently I value much more the concept of importance of the position, makes reading easier!
Greetings

GL :ah4::ac4: Natural life

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thank you!Position is the most important.

I've just started the course.
Is always good to review the basic and the advanced concepts.:deal:

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About that bonus example:

Colin says being the SB is the best position possible versus an agressive maniac on the right. How about being on the button instead? I would say both are equivalent. What dou you think?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About that bonus example:

Colin says being the SB is the best position possible versus an agressive maniac on the right. How about being on the button instead? I would say both are equivalent. What dou you think?

Good question. For relative possible, you just want your opponents to have to respond to the maniac before you. So long as that holds, your absolute position (UTG, button, big blind, etc) doesn't matter.

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

How about some fun games?
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I loved Chapter 1.
Congratulations to Collin and Katie and CardsChat !!!
And actually playing in position gets easier ...
I didn't quite understand the relative position, but reading some posts, it would be when you usually have a maniac to your right, being in the Blinds and post-flop you have the possibility to check and have a good relative position becoming the last to bet ...
Would it be this ?
And once again congratulations to all ... I was super excited and managed to get to the first time, willing to dedicate myself to studies ...

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I loved Chapter 1.
Congratulations to Collin and Katie and CardsChat !!!
And actually playing in position gets easier ...
I didn't quite understand the relative position, but reading some posts, it would be when you usually have a maniac to your right, being in the Blinds and post-flop you have the possibility to check and have a good relative position becoming the last to bet ...
Would it be this ?
And once again congratulations to all ... I was super excited and managed to get to the first time, willing to dedicate myself to studies ...

Thanks Scooby! And yes that's it -- it just means that other players act between you and a maniac or active bettor. Then you can act last after seeing what everyone does.

Good luck with the course :)

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Somebody said position in poker is like it is in sex, everything.

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the book it says "Bonus Concept: You can have good “relative position” if you’re to the right of a very aggressive player in a multi-way pot."

Is this right? I always want to be to the left of an aggressive player to be in position to get more information on them. If they always raise your bets after you play it will be a hard game to win.

M

mroakley1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1

So just printed the ebook lucky I was at work 150 pages oops lol lots of studying to do now you guys are awsome ty so much.:)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the book it says "Bonus Concept: You can have good “relative position” if you’re to the right of a very aggressive player in a multi-way pot."

Is this right? I always want to be to the left of an aggressive player to be in position to get more information on them. If they always raise your bets after you play it will be a hard game to win.

You want to have position over aggressive opponents, but post-flop you would rather be to the right of a player driving the betting multiway than to the left. The reason is that you can see how the other players react to his aggression before you act.

So just printed the ebook lucky I was at work 150 pages oops lol lots of studying to do now you guys are awsome ty so much.:)

You know what that means: Now you have to share the book with your whole office :D

Enjoy the course!