How to prevent losing your entire bankroll?

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, this is a poker friend, there is nothing surprising, this will not happen so that you constantly earn money playing, you need to be ready for everything, poker is a game of distance and to earn you need to play a lot of correct plus poker, this is an unpredictable game and when you load money into tournaments, you have to say goodbye to them, because you can lose them, even if you play very well and best of all.

S

Skema07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I start playing, playing to lose all the money in your account unfortunately :(

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hold the punch, there is no game today - it will be tomorrow. Leave all the bad thoughts and stop thinking about reducing your bankroll and defeat. Good luck in the game!)

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.If you keep on playing poker without bankroll management you will lose and lose again.And,of course,you should only play cash games in the limits that your bankroll allows.Good luck!

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good psychological, an efficient bankroll management, much study and a lot of practice...

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswings and losing sessions are inevitable. But they are backed up with upswings and winning sessions. I know it's hard to the week (those who watched the streams know what I am talking about), but now at Friday I am back at the same bankroll I had at the start of the week.

K

killosaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! Sorry to hear your bad luck. Sounds like lots of awesome members have insight. If I could id like to reiterate tilt control and studying. Bankroll mgt is important too. But most of all try to remember your reason for playing poker and dont give up!

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With crypto deposits and withdrawals being available these days I would advise requesting payouts when you get up a decent amount. You can always deposit again if you need to.

P

phil rodgers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenny rogers said it best-you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to RUN.
I have found this to be best advised when I have paid attention to the details of my competitors play.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the million dollar question. I think you have to set a limit on how much you lose a 1 time. No matter what the circumstances.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I solved this question very simply. I never spend more than 1-2% of my bankroll per day. I have followed this rule for many years and it has had a positive effect on my results.

B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to play following the bankroll management. Players lose in your bankroll

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your problems seem to be related with two of the most common problems for beginners - bankroll management and tilt. You can read everywhere about bankroll management but a short summary is to play at levels which you can beat consistently and have deep enough buffer to handle the downswings. Tilt is more difficult to handle but is something that you also need to work on. For me personally the book "mental game of poker" helped me much to understand and correct my mental weaknesses affecting my poker game (tilt is one of them).

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An important and too often overlooked aspect of bankroll management is a thorough understanding of normal variance—which is specific to your individual game type. Oftentimes, players are surprised by how bad they can seem to run with it still being actually (and unfortunately) normal.

As one’s bad run becomes more and more statistically unlikely for a winning player, it’s very important that they take time to make adjustments such as studying a lot more, moving down in stakes, and possibly looking into coaching etc.

There are free variance calculators available and a lot has been written on the subject right on CardsChat of course :)

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think someday the loss of a bankroll is inevitable.
Another question is how much money it will be.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The poker variance calculator is designed to help the player determine their possible scales of positive and negative variance.There are many free poker variance calculators and one of them is Pokerdope.If desired, you can easily calculate the level of variance of your game.:jd4:

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much money you can afford to lose? Is game making you problems for you, or others close to you? You need to have clear mind of what are you doing, make analyse of your games, when and how you are loosing. Don't fall with the bad luck, everyone has survived through that in the poker history. Maybe its just not your day,month, year. Even very experience players are losing mind blowing cash in some period of their lives. Try play slow even you are aggressive player, they say that morning is smarter then evening. With bankroll of 500 $ or less play 5$ tournaments or even less of that buy in 1-2 $. Making money from poker isn't easy, we all want that fast cash and that, is yours and others people most usual problem. Try to be smart steady octopus, which will wait for the opportunity and make move when its time for that.

S

Skema07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still have not found the answer, if you do you anuntatima please, I'm tired of loosing all ...

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you like to play tournaments, the buy in of these tournaments should not be more than 1% of your bankroll. I recommend this for you. Don't play tournaments that are more expensive than this. You should get some control. When you earn some money, you can move up to some more expensive tournaments, when you lose you go to cheaper ones. For cash games I cannot help you. I don't have experience in that as I don't play that.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah me too I think a proper BR management is most people's main leak.
The op for example 'sounds' to me somewhat that he moved with ease from 200$ to 900$ then back and forth and again from 70$ to 225$ in a day (wow) and then 'suddenly' lost everything.
This looks like he was not playing at the right stakes for his money.
I don't count at all what kind of player he may be, if winning or losing, it doesn't matter because even the best can bust fairly quickly without a plan about his BR.

For the input, I 'll say 100BI for small mtts like 18 to 45man (I prefer even more than 100BI) and add BI as the field go larger and larger with at least 300BI for the bigger mtt with 1000 or more people.

For cash, for 2NL I believe 30 to 40BI is reasonable and add BI as you move up.
40 for 5NL, certainly more for 10NL (50-60 maybe) and from there even more.

And most of all, enjoy the game. (BR management helps to that too)

Last edited:
rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a really excellent post and it's something that we all struggle with. Everyone gets heated up and starts chasing losses from time to time. I feel that once we reach a new $ milestone we don't like to see our balance dip below that. Example we grinded up to $100, now we feel the progression should just be straight to 110, 120, 130 etc., we psychologically hate seeing it go below $100. But if you look at a sample of games we lose and win; it goes up and down; you just need to be slightly on top when it averages out

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't admit to your tilt. That's the most important one.
For me it's still my weakness. especially when I lost a few times in a row it gets hard to control it.
It already improved, but still I don't control it completely, today I lost again big just because of the tilt while if I would have rested calm, I would have had a green day.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play spin and go haha

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll dumping

They say 5% percent ER less of your bankroll should ever be at risk at any one given time. That being said you can never lose your stack even if you always played half of your bankroll at a given time 1/2 of 1/2 is infinite.

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play spin and go haha

Yeap... this is how i lost all my money :))

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management