How to prevent losing your entire bankroll?

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
In my 2 cents , you should have between 100 to 300 buyins for Large field Mtts. I follow that for mtts , as per cash game cant say as I don't play cash except once in 6 mths or so..BRM is the best way to prevent you from ever going bust. The other thing is do excercise , eat well , sleep well and spend time with your family. Have fun when its there.Best of luck

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play freerolls? :)

Then ya'll never get rekt. Build up your confidence and your bankroll and dont venture out higher until you got a solid game plan down.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be very disciplined and play with like 100 entries on all formats in order to prevent losing the roll

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question?
I don't know, I try to be conservative when I'm about to run out of nothing.
When I come on a streak, I play much more and tournaments are more expensive than normal, giving me the pleasure of playing with high quality players, better analyzing the plays:rolleyes:

K

kastor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you lost 4,5 tables in row stop it. stay away from poker few hours

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoiding losing your bankroll consists of studies, knowing how to control your bankroll, knowing how to stop when the time is right and not playing bayns where your bankroll does not allow it.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
establish a maximul loss per day and stop playing if you reach this number.

Giancarlomen

Giancarlomen

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Two words: BANKROLL MANAGEMENT! I recommend reading...
  • CardsChat How to Manage your Bankroll
  • Jonathan Little's article "The Bankroll Bible"
  • Blake Eastman's youtu.be video Poker Mistakes Series - Bankroll Management
There exists specific math to help poker players ensure that they are playing stakes that the bankroll can affort.

Good luck!
Thank you for share ;-) let's read

A

andrzejaa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to prevent in different ways ... Now I got over that I don't have a mindset.

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know some folks who can do good at tourneys but lose at ring games. Others have great games playing a variant and lose much playing a different variant. So do find which one causes you to not lose money so quick.

Also, you cant lose your whole bankroll if you dont bet your whole bankroll. I see people with a bankroll of $80 playing $33 tournaments. At most, a bankroll of $80 should only be entering $1 and $2 tournaments.
Yes I similar think for this bankroll management,IT's crazy game If you will play 33Dollars torunament.

P

peterbsnyder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is about money management and how you are playing.

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash always maybe sure you have 40-50 BI for whatever you play and if you lose more than 2 BI take a break!

tournaments 100 BI and stick too it!

M

markmu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's important to establish a maximum lost per day/week or whatever. If the point is reached take a break. I would say that's a good way, but i have no bankroll, so nur sure if you should listen to my advice:pPP

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play lower stakes and less tables. Don't hire a coach, get piosolver.

DJIGIT666

DJIGIT666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good topic, the right topic. This is a problem for many, in particular for me, and I will collect from this topic all the most useful!

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you need to play the discipline that allows you to win and stay in the black. The most important thing is not to try to recoup after a major loss. Take a break until tomorrow.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have played about with a little over 100$ in total on ACR then won/lost around 900$.I've added 200-225$ on ignition and again, around 900$ won and lost. Then switching, I added 70$ on GlobalPoker. For some reason, every single time I play on ignition, I have someone jump onto a table, bet HUGE and go all-in by the turn then hit some ungodly hand and bounce out. On Americas cardroom, I had a bit more luck with sit and go/mtt but I still could not get a good enough balance to keep from putting 10% or more of my bankroll at the micro tables. Recently though on global, I have taken 70$ and brought it up to 225$ with a couple mtt freerolls and cash games but since winning big (for me) on Saturday, I am on a major downswing. I am getting so many bad beats/coolers that I'm starting to wonder if it is even worth playing anymore.

How does one control themselves when on a downswing and prevent losing their entire bankroll like I have over the last 2 days? Yes, 2 days is all it took for me to lose the 225$ due to thinking, "I can move up from .02/.04 and .05/.1 to .10/.20 and .25/.50". At what point would you recommend moving up? I have been watching previous gameplay. I'm noticing that once I took some pros advice and tightened up then started squeezing when I make a hand, 15/17 hands end up being the second best set/full house/quads. Hiring a coach may be next on my list but I have to figure out how to say "Stop" once I've lost a certain amount.

Thank you for posting. I think you raise an issue that many new players suffer with (a quite a few experienced players, too). Bankroll Management is a fundamental part of the game, without it, even some of the best players to ever play the game have gone broke.
Personally, I work to a 300 buy-in rule, which many think is overly cautious, but I have never gone broke, except for one $10.00 BR that I made from a freeroll and never deposited on the site again.

Also, a 2 day downswing has to be expected. Speak to some professionals and they will tell you of downswings that lasted 2 or 3 months! You need to come to terms with the fact that swings happen in poker, sometimes the worst hand wins and you bust a buy-in or two, you have to expect that and mitigate against it and you do that by having more than a handful of buy-ins available to you.

Think about it. You have a BR of $225 and you buy-in to a $0.10/0.20 game for the maximum $20.00, which is about 9% of your roll. You get a bit of bad luck and you lose your buy-in. You re-buy for another $20, now 10% of your roll and you bust. Suddenly, you've blown 20% of your poker real estate in the space of maybe half an hour! You start worrying about the money you've lost and how you need to make it back to at least break even. I know, I'll up the stakes so I can make it back quicker so you buy in to a $0.25/0.50 game for $50, or 27% of your bankroll. Your tilted, making bad decisions against players that are generally better than the level you normally play at. They take all your money and you've blown nearly half your bankroll.

Now imagine that your using the standard 100 buy-in system. You buy-in to a $0.01/0.02 game for $2.00 and the donk call you down and binks a 7 on the river to give them a 9 high straight to beat your set of Queens. "Meh! It's only $2.00 and I made the right play and he got lucky, no big deal." You continue to play your A-game because the set-back is so small it doesn't bother you. You Re-buy and before long you crush that same player when he chases his draw or pays you off with his top pair against your monster..

Play within your means and try not to look too closely at short term variance.
Good Luck!

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, the way to avoid going broke in poker is to use some form of bankroll management. However that being said a recreational online player does not need 100 x the buyin to play micro stakes cash games. That level of buffer is for professional players, who depend on poker for their living.

For the rest of us moving down is an option, if we hit a downswing, so its more a question of having the discipline to actually do that, and certainly not move up to "win it back". And should we lose the last at 2NL, well then redeposit is also an option. Its not like, its the end of the world, if we talk about popping for instance 50$ into the account.

I would recommend 30x the buyin as a reasonable bankroll management rule in the micros, which give the following guideline for, which limit to play using the 888 poker limits as an example:

<150$ - 2NL
150-300$ - 5NL
300-600$ - 10NL
600-900$ - 20NL
900-1.500$ - 30NL
1.500-3.000$ - 50NL

Note that while the minimum is 30BI, a lot of the time we are actually playing with way more, so this is already fairly conservative. If you dont mind some larger swings, its also reasonable to use a "shot taking" system, where anything above 30BI for your current limit can be used for "shots" at the next.

If for instance you have 80$, that is 30BI for 2NL + 4BI for a "shot" at 5NL. And this is fine, as long as you respect the system and move back to 2NL, if the "shot" fail. If you can not survive at 2NL with 60$, then chances are, you are not even a winning player, and then no amount of bankroll management will protect you from eventually having to reload.

No other advice is necessary on this thread. This post says it all. Follow it and you won't go broke.

Ignore it and you'll face the consequences.

And if you do not possess the discipline to follow these guidelines, please feel free to join my tables.

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn about bankroll management, also learn to treat poker professionally, eliminate gambling mentality.

Mariya

Mariya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!!!

Set limits for you and your bank will be fine; as it were, remove the tonal one; you don’t play anyway; if there is no restriction in games, you will lose anyway.

A

AAndi72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to Control your tilt as good as you can.
Play more free-rolls than with buy-in tournaments until you win money with tournaments (just my opinion).
Take your time off the game, stay healthy, do sport, don't play too much, also when this is not easy ;) take breaks.
Always play concentrated, then take a break, try to control yourself, that you see your "tilt" coming, then stop playing! So you avoid to loose your bankroll.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management