How to prevent losing your entire bankroll?

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know some folks who can do good at tourneys but lose at ring games. Others have great games playing a variant and lose much playing a different variant. So do find which one causes you to not lose money so quick.

Also, you cant lose your whole bankroll if you dont bet your whole bankroll. I see people with a bankroll of $80 playing $33 tournaments. At most, a bankroll of $80 should only be entering $1 and $2 tournaments.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Controlling emotions/tilt, bankroll management and playing the stakes where you have a positive expectation of winning will be the key to preventing your bankroll from hitting zero.

Learn from your mistakes, bad luck streaks are inevitable for even the best players. 50-100 buy-ins for your game should prevent a total loss.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play within you means. If you feel uncomfortable or pressured to cash in a tournament or itll really hurt your bankroll than you shouldnt be playing in that tourney probably.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does one control themselves when on a downswing and prevent losing their entire bankroll like I have over the last 2 days? Yes, 2 days is all it took for me to lose the 225$ due to thinking, "I can move up from .02/.04 and .05/.1 to .10/.20 and .25/.50". At what point would you recommend moving up?
Two words: BANKROLL MANAGEMENT! I recommend reading...
  • CardsChat How to Manage your Bankroll
  • Jonathan Little's article "The Bankroll Bible"
  • Blake Eastman's youtu.be video Poker Mistakes Series - Bankroll Management
There exists specific math to help poker players ensure that they are playing stakes that the bankroll can affort.

Good luck!

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult one.
I'm bad at this, I thought I was getting my tilting under control, but now it even got worse.
It's under control but once I do tilt, I'm tilting more badly than before, losing even more money.
Just had such a moment today. :( really bad.

I think I'll move to freerolls just for a few weeks.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just had such a moment today. :( really bad.
Think about the moment you had today. Remember the hands you played on tilt. Play them again in your mind - study them. Determine how you can better manage playing these types of hands when you feel tilted.

Also - can you recognize you were tilted i the moment? If yes, think about ways to calm yourself. If no, how can you help yourself recognize tilt? If you can recognize that you are tilted BEFORE you make plays that aren't good.. then you can stop it. :)

Good Luck!

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually make a certain limit as to how much money I will lose before I call it quits. Same as for how much time I'll spend on it. Just set a limit to yr game.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll management is the key to never losing your bankroll.

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think about the moment you had today. Remember the hands you played on tilt. Play them again in your mind - study them. Determine how you can better manage playing these types of hands when you feel tilted.

Also - can you recognize you were tilted i the moment? If yes, think about ways to calm yourself. If no, how can you help yourself recognize tilt? If you can recognize that you are tilted BEFORE you make plays that aren't good.. then you can stop it. :)

Good Luck!

Yes I do recognize immediately when I'm tilting, but then I'm in red numbers and always want to immediately fix it. Maybe I should try to push myself to walk away and make a walk in my town, that calms me down.

Thank you for the tips, they are really good! :)

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, VedySneakyYT! Unfortunaterly or by happiness, nothing new nobody not invented: simply need to play by bankroll.
This is a main and golden rule in Poker! Because any kind of Poker this is not chess or checkers, and many in Poker depends from Lady Luck! And therefore, I think, bankroll management is more inportant, than Poker Skill, because Poker Skill You can ramp up, but wasted money or nervous (common health) can return not always... Therefore, by my opinion, conclusion only one: strict adherence own bankroll, and if to speak more simply, to play on that money, which not pity to lose, and lose of these not influence negatively
on your life and life your family and relatives! And therefore I can wish You only Good Luck!;):)

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two words: BANKROLL MANAGEMENT! I recommend reading...
  • CardsChat How to Manage your Bankroll
  • Jonathan Little's article "The Bankroll Bible"
  • Blake Eastman's youtu.be video Poker Mistakes Series - Bankroll Management
There exists specific math to help poker players ensure that they are playing stakes that the bankroll can affort.

Good luck!

Great advice, by using jonathan littles bankroll bible i have been able to turn a 20$ deposit on pokerstars into a withdrawable amount spread out to 300$ over 3 sites, also made afew withdraws but always sticking to strict brm im able to always play games and when i run bad on one site im still +ev on another do dont have to deal with the mental swings of variance as its nothing to push through.

I manage my Bankroll by
Site roll, Disposable funds/ e wallet savings and Total Combined roll

to try to keep a minimum of 100 on each site to leave me adequate buy ins for the lowest levels while still allowing me to take a shot at higher games without assuming risk

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With good bankroll management it is actually impossible to go broke. Or lose over $ 200 in a few days.

I would just become more disciplined here, even if it's not always that easy. Then maybe that won't happen in the future.

A

alexgava

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the following belief with me, because it is online, the sites know who is a winner and who is a loser. And they somehow, which I can't say, make me always find some maniac at the tables that my bank will finally take. It will give me insane calls, it will pay me with 2 ends and it will hit, and so on, and every time I zero my bankroll, it happens a lot at pokerstars, and at PPPoker, which is very popular in brazil.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely all about bankroll management and having firm rules for when you move up AND when you move down.

As a 10+ year poker pro I have never gone broke once.

When I hear people say that everybody goes broke eventually at least a couple times, this is code for somebody who doesn't practice good bankroll management.

No, there is another way :)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't want to lose your whole bankroll I suggest that you practice restraint and self control. Limit your games and the amount you play and stick to it.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Keep the majority of your bankroll offline preferably 90-95% even in a deposit account with no card access or sleep on it lol.:hahaha:
061812_Money_Sleep_575x270-panoramic_17823.jpg

Put the other 5% or 10% on half dozen poker sites and sitting in several payment processors like neteller,Ecopayz paypal visa ect.
Make it impossible and way too scattered to play it all in one go.
The most important thing is patience and self control which I have struggled with a lot in the past and am always working on it wrestling with sensible BRM Jekyl and Hyde just going for the big plays risking a lot of roll.
Most players if they are honest probably do too only you can find the right balance.
Good luck.:)

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Keep the majority of your bankroll offline preferably 90-95% even in a deposit account with no card access or sleep on it lol.:hahaha:
061812_Money_Sleep_575x270-panoramic_17823.jpg

Put the other 5% or 10% on half dozen poker sites and sitting in several payment processors like Neteller,Ecopayz paypal visa ect.
Make it impossible and way too scattered to play it all in one go.
The most important thing is patience and self control which I have struggled with a lot in the past and am always working on it wrestling with sensible BRM Jekyl and Hyde just going for the big plays risking a lot of roll.
Most players if they are honest probably do too only you can find the right balance.
Good luck.:)
this management is really cool, I intuitively do the same thing.... Of course, sometimes I take a little bit of my BR and get drunk to forget my mistakes, which sometimes are many ... my favorite is to make the same mistakes several times

Last edited:
Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I hear you guys,

In theory I’m the most disciplined player in the world. Then once I hit the tables and suffer a bad beat it’s bye bye bankroll 😭

There’s something to not just having a plan but being able to STICK TO IT in mentally stressful situations

If you have tilt and BR management issues, I suggest you don't keep too much cash on the site at any one time and set some strict deposit limits. That way when you do blow up you lose maybe 3 - 5 buy-ins instead of your whole bankroll.

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most important thing is not to play tournaments that your bankroll couldn’t handle in the long run

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you just need to be able to stop when the game is not going and you lose 2-3 consecutive Bains from your bankroll.identify the reasons for losing

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use extremely tight BR management, 1% of my BR for MTTs and 2% for SNG. Limits my growth but prevents me from busting my BR.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely all about bankroll management and having firm rules for when you move up AND when you move down.
Hi Nathan - thanks for your words. I practice very strict bankroll management. Will you provide some advice about the frequency of shot taking? Thanks!

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always try to have a bankroll where you can play 100 or more bayns.

Z

zokiusa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

Dont plat when u are nervous dont play when u are drunk and dont play all day

P

POKERPIG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never gone broke in 10+ years mostly playing as a pro. Bankroll management is the key to never losing your bankroll.

You need to set clear rules for what bankroll is needed for each limit and then you move up or move down accordingly.

For me, I often play with as much as 100 buyins per cash game limit. This ensures that there is no chance I ever lose my whole bankroll, no matter how bad a downswing I go through.

TEACH ME:D:D:driver:

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management