How to play premium hands?

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We want villain to be on a draw.....

I never said we didn't want them to be on a draw, but actually doing a decent bet on your cards makes them question chasing their draw. I've been sucked out on plenty of times, I'd rather take what I can win over the opponent sucking out on the river because my bets weren't enough to make them at least think about it.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would we want them to question pursuing their draw.... We want calls from draws

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes we have to fold our pair when the bad card hits. over betting just makes the pot huge and uncontrollable, and we feel more committed to the pot in general. basically, we're overplaying our hand, forcing folds from the weaker parts of villains range, like pairs lower than us, yes, that's right, his range is not just draws usually it comprises of other crap they might call a smaller bet with, but not an over bet.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly there is a wide margin of correct answers on this question.
A/A and K/K etc etc get beat all the time,there is nothing you can do about it.
If you always lose(which I doubt ,it is just what you remember),then there is something amatter with the way you are playing them preflop.
After the flop they are just a pair,and obv the more people in the hand the more chances of them being beat or not holding up.
My suggestion would be,
1) As always analize your opponents play and range.
2) Judge your postion and how to isolate but optimize value at the same time.
3) Determine what stage at the tournament you are in and what possiblities of losing the hand would conclude,ie how good are you on chips compared to anyone in the hand.
4) I personally always will put heavy pressure on my opponents pre flop with power hands like this,especially in early postion,qhere im hoping for A three bet or four bet shove from an aggressive high chip stack.
If I lose I lose but most often always try to get my chips in the middle.
After the flop like you mentioned if board comes say 5/6/7 all hearts etc ,then what do you do hmmmm. choice is yours from there on,personally I would again refer to 1) analize your opponents play style and range and your postion,from there on you can judge your own hand.
But the important art is to not let them push those power hands around even after the flop if your opponents range does not match the board,then put them to the test and show strength.
Showing weakness or scared money is not the way to handle it.

billy198702

billy198702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you always lose(which I doubt ,it is just what you remember),then there is something amatter with the way you are playing them preflop.
After the flop they are just a pair,and obv the more people in the hand the more chances of them being beat or not holding up.
My suggestion would be,
3) Determine what stage at the tournament you are in and what possiblities of losing the hand would conclude,ie how good are you on chips compared to anyone in the hand.
4) I personally always will put heavy pressure on my opponents pre flop with power hands like this,especially in early postion,qhere im hoping for A three bet or four bet shove from an aggressive high chip stack.
After the flop like you mentioned if board comes say 5/6/7 all hearts etc ,then what do you do hmmmm. choice is yours from there on,personally I would again refer to 1) analize your opponents play style and range and your postion,from there on you can judge your own hand.
But the important art is to not let them push those power hands around even after the flop if your opponents range does not match the board,then put them to the test and show strength.

I need to agree fully with this . and like you say always lose them . I can't imagine that you would if you played good you might have folded them and not abused your pre flop betting to much

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My suggestion would be,

This is all good advice...except for the analize your opponent part. That is not necessary unless it was part of a prop bet - and if it was, make sure you are clear about who the "winner" and "loser" is. :D

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is all good advice...except for the analize your opponent part. That is not necessary unless it was part of a prop bet - and if it was, make sure you are clear about who the "winner" and "loser" is.
In all fairness I perhaps used the wrong wording there lol.
What I simply ment was to determine there style of play,there range etc.
ie, if I shove there three bet and there not commited already will they still call off.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are just not to aggressive before the flop with KK or AA.After all u cant afford to let your opponent to see the flop cheap with 67o or 78s.He must pay enough money to see the 3 cards on the flop.GL

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA IS 85% and kk is 80% against one other opponent ,which means you want to limit the number of opponents in the hand with you .With these hands you want to put in a good pre-flop raise in,make them pay to get lucky.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone says AA KK All-in worth it. In my opinion seeing flop 1st wont hurt, isnt it? The best was u can play AA or KK is pretenting that u dont have good hand and make check/call only till u r sure u have the winning hand. All-in on river makes your opponents think u try to steal pot and makes them call. Play smart and never make bad decisions when u can play a hand in better way. Falling behind having rly short stack if a reason to all-in AA KK JJ QQ or any other pair u think u can win with fre-flop. GL

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always lose with AA and KK in tounament!! can y help me.. what can i do pre flop and if the flop where genre of kind 5 ,6 ,7 and other player push me all in? what can i do in this case

If you keep loosing AA and KK you are unlucky or allowing to many opponents to see the flop

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you keep loosing AA and KK you are unlucky or allowing to many opponents to see the flop

I feel the same too. Letting off that preflop aggression advantage will invariably let players with 'hands-you-remember-to-tell-your-friends-later-on' get in freely.

As indicated above it is 1 out of 5 times, you also gotta closely watch out for the action before and after you!! especially they could be holding suited-broadways..

I lost last night with KK just because I didn't show much aggression pre-flop, it let a river of bad cards into the flop making it a multiway pot and eventually a guy with pocket-pair 5 won the pot making it a set on the river.

It is very hard to say no to cards which have given success in the past. :(
Sooner you come to terms that KK or AA is just a pair and the most winning hands is 'two-pairs', you'll start making less error-prone decisions.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its just bad downswing, you can't lose everytime with AA so you should play it without any fear.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you are obviously not losing with AA and KK all the time... if you are then you are letting people see flops too cheap, try making a 5-6x opening raise and that should put you in good shape against any callers and stop you from getting beat by mediocre hands. and btw if someone puts you all in on a 5 6 7 flop you can almost always assume your aces are no good, as people are only shoving straights and sets so just fold and save yourself some chips.

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must push out all but 1 or 2 players pre-flop.
You must bet 4-6x BB ? Does that do it?

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK, AA, KK?

Would you like to share this article I read the legendary Doyle Brunson
I'd rather have AK than AA or KK
I prefer to believe that even have AK than AA or KK . Many players will find this surprising statement , but it is not . Will soon see why.

Sure, I know that AK would never be in front of AA or KK , if they played against each other cold . A measly pair of deuces wins AK , I know . Once a bet between friends , I bet the deuces against AK . The idea was to play both hands against each other , cold (no bets). Just took them out 5 cards and saw that gained hands more often. It was a gamble 50/50 , and we bet $ 500 per hand. I won several thousand dollars before they give up.

They were not convinced the first time because we 2 or 3 hands . They lost some money ... and then gave up. Gone ... again (after doing some " homework " ) and played again. I beat them again .
But when I say that I prefer the AK AA or KK , I'm not talking about playing a hand against another cold . Now ... I'm talking about playing poker.

An AK is a hand " better" than two aces or kings for two very important reasons :
( a) You will earn more money when completing a hand ; and
( b ) You will lose less money when you miss a hand

And I can not think of two better reasons to prefer the AK any other major pair .

The reason why the dear reader will make more money with AK is because we are talking about a hand for projects , not a made hand . Ie , you have nothing with AK unless it flope something. So it is a very easy to fold when not flop anything, unlike aces or kings to whom it is always " tied" and that , for this reason , are difficult to fold hands hand. That's why you lose less money with AK .

Another reason why you can win more and lose less playing AK is that when it hits a pair on the flop ... it becomes much more difficult when your opponent complete a hand if you are playing something like suited connectors .

AK is also a hand much more flexible than AA or KK , and this happens because the dear reader can play AK -open the pot , or slow play to be able to raise someone . I give call a raise with AK acceptable in any position. And occasionally , I will put all my chips in the middle of the table before the flop out .

by Doyle Brunson

I hope you enjoyed
Gl to all!

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah have seen this scenorio before.

I suppose it comes down to odds. There's already 3 of each in play so chances of getting the 4th of either would be rather high.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I find AK very appealing and money-bringing hand for me. At least for cash games, in tournaments I'd rather have AA or KK because there are more pre-flop shoves.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no rihgt way to play AA or KK but when you have premium hands you must be agressive. You can lose but play agresive because the times you will win compensate the others you lose. ;)

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're overreacting, it's impossible to lose EVERY time in a tournament with AA or KK. Search for gaps in your play, if you lose majority of the time you must be doing something wrong.

vnonline

vnonline

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're not the only one lost your AA or KK, I lose it sometimes! in some hands you have to fold if you still wanna survive. it's maybe a trick

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play AK, you need post flop skills.

Most likely scenario for the fish:
Raise preflop, miss the flop, fold to a bet.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play AK, you need post flop skills.

Most likely scenario for the fish:
Raise preflop, miss the flop, fold to a bet.
I put out a c-bet on the flop when I miss and give up after. There's nothing much else to do at 2NL, is there? When I hit though, I punish all those players for playing AQ and KQ in those pots.

Back to the OP, I think you might be letting too many people see the flop which hurts your equity, so be more aggro pre-flop and don't be afraid of not getting called. It's a shame early in a tournament when you don't get any action, but still better than going busto. Later on when the blinds get high you'll still be getting a little compensation. Another thing you might be doing wrong is putting your whole stack in the middle with a pair. Sure, if you improve to a set and getting action, great, but otherwise it's just a pair and you don't want to be involved into huge pots with just a pair.

Sakal1990

Sakal1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How play premium hands?

Can you help me how play premium hands (AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ) when i sit on UTG? If i go all-in every player fold and i have no value ...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands